Mercedes Benz GLC concept [UPDATE: X4-fighting GLC Coupe Spied)

Reactions
merc-glc-coupe-concept-13_653.jpg

I think everyone on this website knows that lexus has trademarked the stacked quad pipes. And when it was first shown on vehicles, it was criticized. But now Mercedes. One of the well known prestigious luxury brands has put it on their GLC concept.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, the internet will likely praise this simply because it's on a Mercedes. No matter, what's important is actual market reception, and IS F owners have had no problem with the stacked exhaust. Many of them like the unique aspect of it.

I personally love it myself, as it's a nice Lexus touch, and now seeing it on a Benz, concept or not, is ironically funny.

Reactions
Not quite everyone. I was not aware that the simple placement of exhaust pipes was something that could be trademarked.
It's like trademark in design I'm guessing. It's like the kidney grille is trademarked from bmw. And I think lexus has trademarked the spindle grille as well

Reactions
I think he means trademark figuratively, not literally. As he mentioned BMW's kidney grilles for example. No reputable automaker would copy those for example.
I see. But what I was meaning is that when the LS460 was released in 2007, one of the complains in the design was the way lexus designed the tailpipes. But then people started to like it and now it's a design you see on almost every car today. That's what I'm thinking is happening with the stacked quad pipes. I myself thought they looked amazing, thought it was a great way to make the car look different from the rest. But I think now people are starting to get used to it and like it. Wouldn't be surprised if that look becomes a trend in AMG vehicles and other sports cars

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Adrian de Leon said:
It's like trademark in design I'm guessing. It's like the kidney grille is trademarked from bmw. And I think lexus has trademarked the spindle grille as well.

I think he means trademark figuratively, not literally. As he mentioned BMW's kidney grilles for example. No reputable automaker would copy those for example.

Pontiac did kidney-grilles very similar to BMW on several of its models, right up until the division folded several years ago. But, in general, your point is taken. I think I see what you two are getting at now........."Trademark" by simple visual association, not lawyer-speak.

Actually, Audi was probably the one that started the whole move to those large, in-your-face grilles by extending the former subdued grille way down below the bumper. Other manufacturers followed....Buick with the waterfall grilles, Lincoln with the Smiley-Tooth-Grin grilles, Cadillac with the big egg-crate grilles, Acura with the classic parrot-beaks, and, of course, now Lexus with the spindles. But, as the OP (Adrian de Leon) noted, the issue now seems to be exhaust-pipes.

Last edited:
Reactions
Yeah, lets see if people explode about the stacked exhaust lol...and it is a Lexus "trademark" or "design cue" at this point.....no one else was doing it until Lexus did.

From what I've been seeing. Not many people are "exploding" about it. Which I think is hypocritical on them for bashing lexus when they first started it then now they're praising it.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
We're truly entering an era similar to the 1990s with Benz' bloated lineup at the time. Except this time, both BMW and Mercedes are fielding ever-expanding and ever-confusing lineups. With so many similar alphanumeric names in the lineup, combined with the "one sausage, different lengths" philosophy of styling applied across much of their lineups, as a casual observer it truly becomes hard to distinguish some of their models.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Is this shared with the Infiniti Q30 as well? I'm a little confused on all these small thingies coming out lol.