Mercedes Benz all but locks down U.S. title for 2016

Reactions
http://www.autonews.com/article/20161201/RETAIL01/312019996
Mercedes-Benz sold the most luxury autos in the U.S. again in November, virtually guaranteeing that the Daimler AG brand will take the full-year title from BMW.

Sales of the Mercedes GLC sport utility vehicle more than tripled while C-class car deliveries held steady, giving the brand a 1.1 percent increase for the month to 30,363, according to a statement today. Toyota Motor Corp. said Lexus slipped 1 percent to 29,050, and BMW AG reported an 18 percent drop to 26,189 for its namesake brand.

Mercedes is offering more SUVs and in a broader price range, said Rebecca Lindland, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book. “They have a sense of how to make them attainable without losing that sense of luxury,” which is giving Mercedes a competitive advantage, she said.

With only one month to go, Mercedes leads Lexus by more than 18,000 and BMW by about 28,000. A Mercedes victory for the year would recapture the crown BMW claimed in 2015 and 2014. The two German automakers have held the top spot in U.S. luxury sales since 2011, when BMW ended Lexus’s 11-year reign.

Through November, sales by Daimler’s brand with the three-pointed star logo slipped 0.2 percent to 308,226. Lexus deliveries declined 4.3 percent to 290,046 and BMW’s dropped 10 percent to 280,339. The tallies exclude Daimler’s Smart cars and Mercedes work vans, as well as BMW’s Mini line, because they aren’t luxury vehicles.
Those GLCs...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Tragic Bronson said:
Those GLCs...

Not just the GLC, but SUVs in general, today, from many different brands, are simply killing the marketplace. Not just because of cheap gasoline in the U.S., but people today seem to want space efficiency, all-weather traction, and high ground clearance above many other things. The Verano, for example, became the latest sedan-casualty of SUV production, as Buick is killing the new 2017 version from the American market in order to make room for more SUV production.

Mercedes is offering more SUVs and in a broader price range, said Rebecca Lindland, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book. “They have a sense of how to make them attainable without losing that sense of luxury,” which is giving Mercedes a competitive advantage, she said.

That may be true for the Mercedes SUVs, but, IMO, it certainly doesn't apply to the CLA, which I find disappointing, cheaply-made, and lacking in road manners compared to other M-B products. The C-Class is probably a much better buy, even for more money.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah no way they are losing that title. They have some really amazing products, their marketing is on point etc etc... Well done!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I haven't looked at the numbers but I have to believe that this is mostly fueled by the GLC.

GLA is a garbage car.

GLC is new and quite frankly amazing.

GLE is a weak refresh.

GLS has only been on sale for like a little while now?

mikeavelli

Reactions
I haven't looked at the numbers but I have to believe that this is mostly fueled by the GLC.

GLA is a garbage car.

GLC is new and quite frankly amazing.

GLE is a weak refresh.

GLS has only been on sale for like a little while now?

C-class is killing it. S-class continues to kill it. New E-class is here.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Wow, well I just noticed this as I haven't been paying attention, but Mercedes is starting to gradually creep up on Lexus SUV/CUV total sales. I mean Mercedes is only a few thousand units off. Nobody else comes close to the monstrous combined sales of the Lexus SUV/CUV lineup.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Wow, well I just noticed this as I haven't been paying attention, but Mercedes is starting to gradually creep up on Lexus SUV/CUV total sales. I mean Mercedes is only a few thousand units off. Nobody else comes close to the monstrous combined sales of the Lexus SUV/CUV lineup.

Yes, Mercedes may be gaining on the Lexus SUVs, but the RX, in particular, is been an automotive institution since the late 1990s. It still seems to be selling in big numbers, even with the controversial new front end and floating roof.

The RX also has something that (most) Mercedes SUVs can't claim, either.......a long history of excellent reliability.

mikeavelli

Reactions
"Its the product stupid" never gets old....I find their products near best in class or best in class in most areas. The interiors really have stepped it up. The AMG lineup is insane. The AMG GT R just destroyed the Nurburgring. They are not resting on laurels at all and we all know they have the prestige in spades....Reliability has improved...

They are doing it right....

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The AMG GT R just destroyed the Nurburgring.
So they've opened up the 'Gring to manufacturer-testing again? Last I heard, factory-testing was closed. Maybe the Gring's owners decided they were losing too much rental money from the automakers by keeping the track closed.