Melted Plastic

Reactions
Six month old 2022 NX350h, less than 5000 mile, parked next to our dining room window suffered sun damage due to reflection. The damaged plastic is located between doors on the passenger side. The damage, approximately 8 hundred dollars, is not covered by warranty because they said it was caused by outside influences. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of damage from the sun. Thanks

LS500-18

Follower
Reactions
I've heard of this with 2019+ RAV4's, it happened to a friend of mine. I think Toyota has been cheapening the plastic quality for the last few years. The NX is the twin to the RAV4 so this is not shocking to me. It's not a widespread issue, though.

Last edited:
Reactions
Thanks for reply. I’m definitely disappointed in Lexus when I compare my new model to my 2006 RX.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I've heard of this sort of thing across brands... unfortunately, you do have to be careful where you park and consider that glass reflection can cause these sorts of issues. I forget which car it was, but I recently read a story from someone who had their dashboard melted after the car was parked by valet in front of a new glass high rise.

Do you have a tint? Ceramic tint can help this a bit... but not 100%.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I remember reading about a 4th-generation Jaguar XJ had its C-pillar plastic melted.