Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
They should move the es to the L platform and make it rearwheel drive previously both the gs and es were always competing each other and the es also had the advantage of being slightly cheaper and a larger prior customer base and now with the upcoming crown sedan if the es just becomes a crown with a lexus badge would help them recover cost as well as try to capture the new market cause the crown sedan makes sense as a luxury car for the rest of the world but it is not flashy enough for the dumb american population so it could help them bring the cost down for the crown too

Levi

Expert
Reactions
They should move the es to the L platform and make it rearwheel drive previously both the gs and es were always competing each other and the es also had the advantage of being slightly cheaper and a larger prior customer base and now with the upcoming crown sedan if the es just becomes a crown with a lexus badge would help them recover cost as well as try to capture the new market cause the crown sedan makes sense as a luxury car for the rest of the world but it is not flashy enough for the dumb american population so it could help them bring the cost down for the crown too
The Crown Cross is already a ES, but lifted.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
So basically cancel the ES and call it a GS? Not gonna work. ES should stay where it is. IS is what need the GA-L platform (revised though)

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
So basically cancel the ES and call it a GS? Not gonna work. ES should stay where it is. IS is what need the GA-L platform (revised though)
Basically just merge es and gs and name it es.
IS could do with a redesign too and before people start saying L platsform weighs too much the 15th gen crown on the L platform the heaviest one was the v6 hybrid which weighed about 1900 kg or 4200 pounds and the newer crown cross is ever so slightly heavier with about 1930kgs

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
The ES on the K platform makes it cheaper, rwd would make it more expensive, and the ES isn't about performance so rwd doesn't make sense. The ES500h Direct4 would be all people need for performance. IS needs to be on a new platform.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
They didn't do it for the RZ...... :(
Probably why they emphasize 2nd gen EVs haha.

I am willing to bet that at least 30% of the better handling characteristics of German vehicles can be attributed to their RWD-bias. With EVs, it's a cinch though Toyota will always be cost and consumer-driven. RWD EVs may not be well suited in frigid winters if drivers don't get used to handling oversteering and don't bother with winter tires.

With all the progress on battery chemistry, I think I can wait towards end of the decade to get longer warranty and longevity.

No more Macan EV for me. Toyota or Honda, likely their luxury division, for life lol.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
20230227_030624.jpg
This is the spec sheet although all websites say this was for the concept but for efficiency reasons power would be lower around 400hp

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Basically just merge es and gs and name it es.
Disguising the GS with an ES badge is not going to make it sell any better. The market for mid-sized sedans is virtually zero and the market for luxury-brand RWD sports sedans is even lower than that. The RWD, luxury sports sedan GS just did not sell in the past few years; there are not enough enthusiasts buying cars to keep the mid-size sports sedan market alive. Nothing, short of the implosion of the mid-size crossover and SUV market, will change that.

The few people still shopping for luxury sedans are looking for the traditional large, comfortable (not stiff riding) sedan, with no preference for FWD or RWD. That is what the ES is good at. The GA-K platform is good at that -- large interior in a mid-size exterior with a comfortable ride and efficient powertrain. The fact that the ES really has no competition helps.

Ali Manai

Follower
Reactions
Disguising the GS with an ES badge is not going to make it sell any better. The market for mid-sized sedans is virtually zero and the market for luxury-brand RWD sports sedans is even lower than that. The RWD, luxury sports sedan GS just did not sell in the past few years; there are not enough enthusiasts buying cars to keep the mid-size sports sedan market alive. Nothing, short of the implosion of the mid-size crossover and SUV market, will change that.

The few people still shopping for luxury sedans are looking for the traditional large, comfortable (not stiff riding) sedan, with no preference for FWD or RWD. That is what the ES is good at. The GA-K platform is good at that -- large interior in a mid-size exterior with a comfortable ride and efficient powertrain. The fact that the ES really has no competition helps.
I wasn't saying make the es sporty just keep it the way it is with rwd cause the current buyers don't care which wheels are being driven but some rwd fans may also take an interest in it

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
I wasn't saying make the es sporty just keep it the way it is with rwd cause the current buyers don't care which wheels are being driven but some rwd fans may also take an interest in it
Making the ES RWD on the GA-L would make it not an ES. What makes the ES successful is a large passenger space and fuel efficiency, neither of which are strong suits of the GA-L platform.

Give the next ES the option of the Hybrid Max powertrain with AWD (as is available on the new Crown crossover sedan) and market it as a performance variant, but also give the regular hybrid model the option of AWD and market that as a safety feature. These options will broaden the appeal of the ES to both its normal customers and those looking for a bit of performance, without ruining the essence of the ES.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Maybe an electric 718? Unless Toyota brings its own sports ev....
Haha, my wife would have loved a Macan EV more than a 718 but I don't want to be paying thousands of dollars for upkeep, outside the warranty period, on a BEV, that should be more reliable. The stock market hasn't been too kind of late lol. Also need a four-seater or it would not be very useful for my family.

If the Macan proves to be quite reliable, I may reconsider but really having second thoughts about Li-ion batteries. Either the battery warranty should be at least 12 years so even if the car is scrapped (if no battery replacement offered or too expensive even from a third party) at least I would have gotten my money's worth (Toyota/Lexus Canada is only offering 8 years for now vs. 10 in the EU) or better longevity like those 400-500 charge cycles on LFP or Na-ion batteries but they're too heavy/dense in their current state.

I will definitely play it by ear but won't be so quick to buy a BEV unless I need to replace my CT200h or Honda Accord in a jiffy. Seems most manufacturers won't take EVs seriously until close to 2030 anyway.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
According to some japanese sites the lfz will go on sale in the next 14 months and its bev components will be shared with the crown sedan bev
Your source? Searching for "レクサス lf-z 発売日" (Lexus LF-Z release date) on Japanese search engines returns no results earlier than June 2022.

The 14 months statement was made by a Lexus USA executive who said back in June 2021 that "the production form of LF-Z will come out in the next 14 months". We now know this is the RZ450e, which turned out to be a huge disappointment compared to the very impressive LF-Z.

BTW that spec sheet is recycled from the LF-Z press release and will not be what they release in 2026. The reason is they listed max charging speed to be 150kW which is max speed at 400V but we know they are moving to 800V and 200kW+ charging speed next gen.

Last edited: