Lexus - What should I buy?

Reactions
Hi, I'm Eric and I'm new to the forums here.

I'll cut straight to it. I've owned mostly Hondas, and my last one just died (2000 Accord with 250k miles). I've been thinking about buying a Lexus for some time now as they've been rated among the most reliable cars in the world, but besides reading excessively on wikipedia my knowledge is limited.

I'm interested in suggestions on what I should look to buy based on some criteria:

Must have:
5-8k budget
Manual Transmission
Not newer than 2010 (I don't care how old the car is, good condition is good condition)
Remote Locking
Stock (not really into modding)

Nice to have:
Full size sedan
25+ mpg
<100k miles

Here's the catch:
I'm a very reckless driver, and I need something that can handle me. I've never been in an accident, but if I'm honest, I'm probably the guy on the road driving faster and taking corners harder than everyone else, and I think that's the main reason I've destroyed my Hondas -- excessive wear and tear. So, I need something with some good acceleration, solid suspension, and a clutch that won't go out after 20k miles. Tires, brakes, and other regular maintenance I realize is the cost of doing business for how I drive, but I've had about $1.5k/yr in repairs on average over the last 10 years driving Hondas (which are supposed to be pretty damn reliable).

Anyway, any and all suggestions welcome. Let me know if there's more info I can provide.
Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Hi Eric, welcome to the forums! If a manual transmission is a must, your best option will be a 2006+ IS250 6MT. The IS300 was also offered with a manual but finding one unmodded is quite a feat.

Reactions
Hi Eric, welcome to the forums! If a manual transmission is a must, your best option will be a 2006+ IS250 6MT. The IS300 was also offered with a manual but finding one unmodded is quite a feat.

Thank you for this suggestion, but I fear 2006 might run my price range a little higher than preferred. I can always do a car loan if it's worth it, but I'm attempting to keep it <8k so I can pay cash.

If I find an older IS250 (maybe 2001-2005 range), would I have similar results?

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Thank you for this suggestion, but I fear 2006 might run my price range a little higher than preferred. I can always do a car loan if it's worth it, but I'm attempting to keep it <8k so I can pay cash.

If I find an older IS250 (maybe 2001-2005 range), would I have similar results?

You'll certainly be able to find a 2006+ in that range. The 2001-2005 was known as the IS300 and very few were offered with the 5MT if I remember correctly.

Reactions
I spent a little time looking through cars.com, CL, ebay motors, etc, and the only 2006+ Lexus IS250 options I see for under $10K are either automatics or have >150K miles on them. I live in Seattle, so it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere... may need to reevaluate.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
I spent a little time looking through cars.com, CL, ebay motors, etc, and the only 2006+ Lexus IS250 options I see for under $10K are either automatics or have >150K miles on them. I live in Seattle, so it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere... may need to reevaluate.

Ahh, location is likely the issue. You couldn't get an AWD IS with a manual and I am assuming most IS's in your area are AWD.

Reactions
So far, this is the only 6MT IS250 F Sport I've found within 100 miles from online searching, and an IS250 Base (both with <50k miles).

I'm not a huge fan of the white color for a car, but if the F Sport version of the IS250 is better worth it than the Base version, I guess I don't mind. Alternatively, the Base version is $1k less and has a few less miles on it (if that matters at ~4x,xxx miles). Thoughts on these two?

Side note - I can't believe how uncommon manual transmission have become... granted I haven't purchased a car in well over 6 years but my goodness it's ridiculous.

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
So far, this is the only 6MT IS250 F Sport I've found within 100 miles from online searching, and an IS250 Base (both with <50k miles).

I'm not a huge fan of the white color for a car, but if the F Sport version of the IS250 is better worth it than the Base version, I guess I don't mind. Alternatively, the Base version is $1k less and has a few less miles on it (if that matters at ~4x,xxx miles). Thoughts on these two?

Side note - I can't believe how uncommon manual transmission have become... granted I haven't purchased a car in well over 6 years but my goodness it's ridiculous.

You may face some difficulty registering the white one as it is not a US-Spec model. All US Spec cars have power leather seats. This car was in BC for its whole life and will have a KPH gauge cluster. I'm assuming the grey one is on winter tires as it has hubcaps.

Reactions
well manual tranny lowers your options....

90-91 ES250
1993 ES300 (if you can find one)
1993-96 SC300
2010 IS250

id go with a manual SC300 5-6k will get you a super nice one, if you can find one as they are really hard to find in good shape. not as rare as the manual ES but close.