Lexus UX (UX 200, UX 250h, 300e) Megathread

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
View attachment 2641 View attachment 2642 View attachment 2643 View attachment 2644 View attachment 2645 View attachment 2646 View attachment 2647 View attachment 2648 The rear is definitely Lexus NX, look at the tail lights. This is probably a first stage mule. Look at the bottom of the side fender and front door, they aren't aligned.
The UX will mostly end up with the current gen Prius drivetrain, just like the CT having the previous gen Prius drivetrain.
A first stage mule always looks like a freak show. Remember the frs/86/brz mules? Or 5 gen LS mules? Or the upcoming Auris/corolla iM? First mules are very different from the final ones.

What is certain is the license plate, this is a very recent Belgian license plate.
And Toyota has a (test) center in Brussels...

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
What is certain is the license plate, this is a very recent Belgian license plate.
And Toyota has a (test) center in Brussels...

With all due respect, I'm not so sure about the license plate being Belgian (although you're certainly right about Toyota's R&D test center in Zaventem near Brussels). The vast majority of Toyota and Lexus prototypes spotted in Europe have those DAU license plates. That first came to my attention in May 2008, when a 2nd-gen Lexus IS was spotted on the Nürburgring in Germany. In a my.IS article I wrote then ( http://my.is/forums/f41/just-what-secrets-dau-0683-hiding-360928/ ), I noted that
The license plate itself merely indicates that the car is registered in the municipality of Daun, in the state of Rhineland-Palatinate (or Rheinland-Pfalz in German). The red numbers on a white background, and the fact that the number starts with 06, denote that this Lexus bears dealer plates commonly used for unregistered cars going on test drives.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
With all due respect, I'm not so sure about the license plate being Belgian (although you're certainly right about Toyota's R&D test center in Zaventem near Brussels). The vast majority of Toyota and Lexus prototypes spotted in Europe have those DAU license plates. That first came to my attention in May 2008, when a 2nd-gen Lexus IS was spotted on the Nürburgring in Germany. In a my.IS article I wrote then ( http://my.is/forums/f41/just-what-secrets-dau-0683-hiding-360928/ ), I noted that

OK, but I was talking about the last 2 pictures, the black mule, where the license plate starts with 'B' and then '1 - Txx - xxx'.
This is clearly a Belgian license plate. Since a couple of months, all the new license plates start with a 1 - T...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I am not sure what are you guys trying to convey :).

It is Prius SUV... like Prius SUV. Toyota will slot additional SUV between C-HR and Rav4, and it will be... Prius SUV.
Reason it has Prius front-end is because it will be ... Prius! It looks like finished designe vehicle.

Last pic (above) is new Auris, ie Corolla iM.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

It says B for Belgium. German would say D for Deutschland.

And of course it is because it is tested in their R&D center.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
OK, but I was talking about the last 2 pictures, the black mule, where the license plate starts with 'B' and then '1 - Txx - xxx'.
This is clearly a Belgian license plate. Since a couple of months, all the new license plates start with a 1 - T...
Ok, I see what you mean. Although the majority of the Toyota/Lexus prototypes have the DAU German plates, the Auris in the last two photos is clearly an exception. Thanks for pointing that out.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
17-11-28-lexus-ux-concept.jpg

"Geneva 2018 will be very important for Lexus."
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
just spent few hrs behind C-HR Hybrid, and cant to see what will UX version be like.
C-HR already drives well... I expect UX to solve issue with "weak" powertrain and also be a lot quieter... otherwise C-HR is very nice already, interior is quite premium as it is.

OlFius

Founding Member
Reactions
The fact that the UX makes its debut in Europe seems logical to me.
It should have happened a few years earlier, the competition is very big in the meantime, but we are in good expectation.
And where and when will the ES get its debut? Rarara...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
just spent few hrs behind C-HR Hybrid, and cant to see what will UX version be like.
C-HR already drives well... I expect UX to solve issue with "weak" powertrain and also be a lot quieter... otherwise C-HR is very nice already, interior is quite premium as it is.

I think it's time for a new engine, honestly. UX would be a great time to introduce a second powertrain. The UX 200, UX 250, UX 250h -- if these trademarks are accurate, Lexus will be getting three new engine options. UX 250h seems most significant to me, though the 250 could be interesting as well.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think it's time for a new engine, honestly. UX would be a great time to introduce a second powertrain. The UX 200, UX 250, UX 250h -- if these trademarks are accurate, Lexus will be getting three new engine options. UX 250h seems most significant to me, though the 250 could be interesting as well.

Toyota Europe already announced that all of the hybrids in Europe will get 2 hybrid powertrains - so one for base, and one for sportier option.
And we have many... Yaris, Auris, C-HR, Rav4 currently... so I suspect that it will come with UX and C-HR, maybe C-HR will get UX200h powertrain and UX250h will get even stronger version.

C-HR is "fast enough" until 80 mph, but for serious autobahn driving it needs more oomph. With larger engine and 50 hp more it would also generate less noise since it would not have to be at WOT all the time.

Reactions
The US version isn't premium :thumbsdown:Our powertrain is too anemic to take advantage of its good suspension tuning. But hey, it looks good and is a crossover, so easy sale for Toyota : unamused:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The US version isn't premium :thumbsdown:Our powertrain is too anemic to take advantage of its good suspension tuning. But hey, it looks good and is a crossover, so easy sale for Toyota : unamused:

interior is certainly premium though... it has better materials than rav4 even though it is not as well as equipped as in Europe, base models are also fine.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
After reading the full motor.es article and doing some additional digging around, I have a few comments:

- With a bit over 3 months to go before the 2018 Geneva Motor Show, their official site ( https://www.gims.swiss/en/ ) is still pretty bare-bones. It does confirm, however, that the show opens to the public on Thursday 8 March. Thus, that "6 de marzo 2018" (Tuesday 6 March 2018) date surely corresponds to the first of 2 press days.

- Spain is expected to offer UX exclusively as a non-plug-in hybrid, while other markets (such as the U.S.) will offer non-hybrid powertrains. This is, of course, old news, as is the fact that it is derived from the Toyota C-HR.

- Motor.es predicts an on-sale date sometime during the second half of 2018, and they cite Japanese reports predicting an October 2018 on-sale date there.

- The article also includes this image of Lexus Spain's "100% Hybrid" lineup, which aligns Coupes, Berlinas/Compacto (sedans/compacts) and SUVs by ascending Precio (price).

lexus-ux-fecha-lanzamiento-201741524_1.jpg

Of note is the fact that it refers to the 3-row RX as RX+, rather than RX L. Will Lexus Spain (and, perhaps, other markets as well) use this different badge for RX L? It would certainly follow the European naming protocol for the 3-row Toyota Prius wagon, which wears the Prius+ badge in most European countries. 7 plazas simply means 7-seater. And that also makes me wonder if Lexus will drop the 2-row RX in Spain and perhaps other Euro markets. Finally, it seems that the higher placement of the "RX + 7 plazas" dot vs the GS dot implies a higher European price for RX+/RX L vs base GS models.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If "UX 250" is packing the Camry's new 203/206hp I4, that would be a great engine for a sub-compact CUV. That's a lot of engine for something so small and would be great upper level engine choice over a theoretical "200."

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If "UX 250" is packing the Camry's new 203/206hp I4, that would be a great engine for a sub-compact CUV. That's a lot of engine for something so small and would be great upper level engine choice over a theoretical "200."

One fact that really strikes me is that the C-HR already weighs 1,500kg/3,300lbs, which is why the 122hp hybrid and 144hp 2.0 are both painfully slow. I thought a UX250 would be dashing quick given its size, but we shouldn't really expect something much faster than the RAV4 (or the Camry). TMC needs to watch the diet of its cars!