Lexus Surveys LAB on third-row RX

RAL

Reactions
I was just wondering early yesterday when Lexus would next survey The Lexus Advisory Board (LAB) of which I am a member. Amazingly, a survey came mid afternoon!

The survey targeted current RX owners with 5 questions (using a sliding scale where applicable) centered on a third row model:

(1) Had I considered other models/brands before buying an RX?

(2) If a third-row RX was available, how 'likely/unlikely' would I have considered it
(assuming similar styling to the two-row RX)?

(3) How 'likely/unlikely' will I be to replace the RX in the future with each of the following:
coupe / sedan / two-row SUV / 3-row SUV / other?

(4) What is my preference of design of SUV's in general concerning a balance of design and
third-row seating?
Specifically questioning between a 'strong preference' [and] a 'slight preference' for:
"great styling and good space" [or] "great space and good styling"

(And this is where I thought it got really interesting!)

(5) Evaluate the two images (below) grading between a
'strong preference for' [and] a 'slight preference for' each rear roofline.

Then there were questions to evaluate the survey. And finally they asked us to write any kind of specific feedback we cared to offer.

They assured us our feedback would effect "future Lexus vehicles".

Well pardon me for going into so much detail, but I wanted to share the survey with you.

I'm wondering about the implications (if any) this survey has for our speculations about the 2016 RX? IMHO I think it is going to continue to be two-row only.

Does the survey give rise to speculation for a future third-row model TX?

Q13_V2.png

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
q13_v2-png.140

With the larger SUVs, I prefer the squared back -- even so, I think Lexus will go with the rounded option. Fits more with the RX & NX.

Reactions: CIF

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
I'd take the squareback as well. Cargo room is precious, especially if you add a 3rd row seat back there. My problem with the NX is the super raked back and the cargo space it lost out on.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I would hope that a larger-than-RX new model would be more squared off and masculine-looking. That can still be achieved with the styling theme of the NX and new RX, but simply using a different approach to the roofline. As krew mentioned, I think it's likely Lexus would go with a more rounded option.

That would then things interesting for the next-gen LX. It can't get much bigger than it is now. That and it's out of the price range for many consumers.