Lexus steps up pace of electrification

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
While the competition back pedals, Toyota is going to stick it to them lol.

Lexus is committed to have an electric vehicle in each of its segments by 2030.​

RZ: Lexus' first EV is expected to be reengineered in 2026 to extend its range.

Electric sedan: Lexus will bring a second EV to the U.S., possibly in the second half of 2025, with sources saying it will be an ES-size sedan, similar to the Lexus Electrified Sedan concept shown in late 2021. It is likely to assume the ES nameplate at that time.

Electric sport coupe: A third Lexus EV, due in 2026, could be a stunning LFA-inspired sport coupe that would have a 0-to-60-mph time in the low two-second range and be a halo vehicle. However, the brand said the car's estimated 400-mile-plus range would rely on the "possible use of solid-state batteries" — an engineering puzzle in development.

LX: The large SUV will be reengineered in the second half of 2025 to add a hybrid powertrain.

GX: With the launch of the redesigned GX this year, the midsize SUV won't be due for a freshening until 2028.

TX: The larger three-row crossover will be due for a freshening in 2027.

RX: The midsize crossover, brand's top-selling nameplate, will be due for a midcycle freshening in 2027.

NX: The compact crossover will be due for a redesign in 2028 after a midcycle freshening due in spring 2025.

UX: The subcompact crossover will be reengineered in 2026 and be exclusively hybrid.

LS: The large sedan would be due for a midcycle freshening in 2025, but its fate remains in flux, and it could be culled from the luxury brand's lineup.

IS: The compact sedan is scheduled for a freshening in 2026.

LC: The luxury coupe and convertible will receive a midcycle freshening in the second half of 2025.

RC: The low-volume performance coupe may get an extension on life as a combustion vehicle beyond the introduction of an electric sport coupe replacement in 2026, but any product interventions will be minimal.

Tyronne M

Fan
Reactions
If the above is accurate (which most likely it is, as I have found Automotive News to be pretty reliable), there is really very little to be excited about (at least for me)

Was looking forward to a 6th gen LS, but it seems that may never happen. Apart from the possible LX700h (which may take another year or two), nothing terribly exciting at all.

Reactions
If the above is accurate (which most likely it is, as I have found Automotive News to be pretty reliable), there is really very little to be excited about (at least for me)

Was looking forward to a 6th gen LS, but it seems that may never happen. Apart from the possible LX700h (which may take another year or two), nothing terribly exciting at all.

LX700h is coming in the fall.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
RC is going to be electrified but the IS isn't? Interesting

Also not everyone needs or want an ES-sized BEV but I guess that will eventual replace the IS and the ES ICEVs/HEVs.

Not hard to turn it into a RWD-biased AWD BEV. After having driven my wife's X3 M40i just a few times, I definitely will only consider RWD-biased AWD BEVs with torque vectoring in the future haha. The driving dynamics is just that much better.

At least we know what's coming. 2026 it is for some electrification

Last edited:

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Century: Dedicated high margin true luxury
Lexus: Electric / Hybrid Minimalistic "luxury" / prestige appeal
Crown: Premium ICE/Hybrid
Toyota: Everything else

Maybe the LS dies so that Century may live in its stead. Eventually LX needs to differentiate from Century SUV and GX, or disappear/stagnate forever again.

Reactions
Century: Dedicated high margin true luxury
Lexus: Electric / Hybrid Minimalistic "luxury" / prestige appeal
Crown: Premium ICE/Hybrid
Toyota: Everything else

Maybe the LS dies so that Century may live in its stead. Eventually LX needs to differentiate from Century SUV and GX, or disappear/stagnate forever again.
Man what a total clusterfuck...

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I highly doubt Automotive news can get any closer to Toyota corporate than BestCar, given that BestCar's "scoops" or "leaks" are approved by Japanese manufacturers.

mikeavelli

Reactions
They had a pretty large EV training recently including damn near all EVs to compare to. It’s been posted online so I’m not saying a secret.

Hyundai had some news their solid state drives are ready soon..

My thoughts with Lexus moving into these realms
1. Base ice engines
2. Hybrids
3. Hybrid Performance
4.PHEV
5. ICE Performance (unless they will have hybrid tech attached then it moves to 3)
6. EVs, which cater toward performance
7. Luxury 4x4

That’s quite a bit compared to an EV only brand who focuses on one thing.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Now again it’s not just the product. EV ownership is a whirlwind for most people. I know many are happy I understand that. For the masses tho, good luck. Rushing into it by anyone was simply a giant mistake. Lexus and Toyota were always right.

We don’t have the infrastructure for millions of more EVs. We can barely charge them now.

EVs outside of Lexus haven’t been reliable at all. All sorts of issues from every brand.

EV resale values are trash. People normally don’t want to own something that plummets in value.

Hybrids and PHEV are getting more plentiful and better each year.

Dealerships still don’t want to invest millions into something they likely won’t make money on for years.

etc etc etc

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Most of us are waiting for Toyota to perfect solid state batteries and software anyway. Probably won't happen until 2030, if 2027/2028 is when the batteries hit Lexus BEVs.

Being beholden to dealership networs means costly repair jobs down the road. Battery replacements may not even be available.

pacman1

Follower
Reactions
They had a pretty large EV training recently including damn near all EVs to compare to. It’s been posted online so I’m not saying a secret.

Hyundai had some news their solid state drives are ready soon..

My thoughts with Lexus moving into these realms
1. Base ice engines
2. Hybrids
3. Hybrid Performance
4.PHEV
5. ICE Performance (unless they will have hybrid tech attached then it moves to 3)
6. EVs, which cater toward performance
7. Luxury 4x4

That’s quite a bit compared to an EV only brand who focuses on one thing.
I have a feeling with Corolla's now being hybrid and Sienna not even available without a hybrid Lexus would further reduce the # of (1)Base ice engine options. Hybrids don't have the disadvantage of having to charge so it's not really limiting the market they are selling to. I hope that (4) PHEV continues to expand. Ideally to every line Toyota/Lexus has. I saw the initial excitement of the F150 lightning and how anemic that crowd sounds, now that people realize that its an inferior product when attempting to tow...or do any "work truck" or "off-roading" with it. So I don't see a need for vehicles in this category to be full EV. But I can't stop thinking about what an intriguing product a PHEV Tundra/Tacoma or a "super" hybrid with a larger battery capacity would be like. I know there is a weight penalty to adding more battery for EV range, but with a bigger battery people could potentially do their daily commutes without using a drop of gas in their Tundras/Sequioas/LC. A 70-100 mile EV range would be sufficient for most. A range like that would not be acceptable in a full-EV but in a PHEV? Wow. You still have the ICE engine to tackle the work truck stuff + EV for shorter distances.

In regards to (5), Ice Performance, I'm seeing more and more exotics using mild hybrids in their supercars. I have a feeling Lexus would leverage their hybrid technology to achieve faster speeds than a pure ICE performance vehicle.

All of this is completely speculation, but I agree that I don't see the rush to be Full EV either. It's easier to convince the masses that a PHEV offers the benefits of both an EV and ICE.

Kelvin2020

Admirer
Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
In regards to (5), Ice Performance, I'm seeing more and more exotics using mild hybrids in their supercars. I have a feeling Lexus would leverage their hybrid technology to achieve faster speeds than a pure ICE performance vehicle.

All of this is completely speculation, but I agree that I don't see the rush to be Full EV either. It's easier to convince the masses that a PHEV offers the benefits of both an EV and ICE.
PHEVs will match the power density of pure ICEVs in the next 3-4 years. Super heavy PHEVs like the new M5 are relics of last decade's technology. Current generation super cars (Ferrari 296 GTB, McLaren Artura etc.) are already approaching pure ICEVs in power density. I think Lexus LFR will be the first PHEV to reach that breaking point. And many hybrids/BEVs no longer go into limp mode during repeated heavy loads thanks to better heat management and efficiency gains.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
I think the problem with PHEVs is the battery is kept at a very high SoC at least 30% of the time and the amount of cyclic charging it has to go through, that BEV batteries would likely last much longer.

Also PHEV battery replacement costs are quite steep it probably only makes sense to use the setup for those good with the shorter EV range or for performance-oriented applications (with no range anxiety and lower cooling requirements).

I'm definitely skipping PHEVs and will go for BEVs down the road after having read more on battery degradation and calendar aging.

Last edited:

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I think the problem with PHEVs is the battery is kept at a very high SoC at least 30% of the time and the amount of cyclic charging it has to go through, that BEV batteries would likely last much longer.
Li-ion batteries have almost unlimited cycles when they are limited to a narrower SOC range. That's why most PHEVs have ~30% of buffer and each cell is rated at 3.6-3.7 V instead of 4.1-4.2 V. In a HEV the battery can go through thousands of cycles in a year but they can last over a decade.