Lexus LFR Megathread

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
Idk if there is any truth behind this, but here goes.

Sad to hear if the LS 500 does go away (discontinued). Lexus needs to bring back a V8 (2UR-GSE) for the LS 500. It would be really sad if Lexus only had a two sedan line up, IS and ES...bring back the GS already! Get rid of the RZ 450e!

Happy to hear that a twin-turbo V8 "LFR" coming soon. Only time will tell. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Reactions
Idk if there is any truth behind this, but here goes.

It's true (for the LFR at least). The RC F GT3 will run for a final season in 2024 before the LFR GT3 makes its debut in 2025 (with my guess debuting at the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona). The LFR road car will debut as well.

The only mistake is that the LFR is not just a TTV8. It has a very advanced hybrid system mated to the engine as well. 1000 horsepower total system output. Think SF90 Stradale or P1 in execution but FR instead of M4 or MR respectively.

I can't say much about anything else because all that I know is with regard to the LFR.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
End of the LS… I hope that’s not true.

If so, I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised since Lexus’ has been building the case for 8+ years now.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
End of the LS… I hope that’s not true.

If so, I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised since Lexus’ has been building the case for 8+ years now.

Not saying I'm against the idea of building the next halo car......but they would rather kill the car that established the brand and expect to make more money out of the LFR? lmao!

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Toyota just patent these seat designs, any chance they're for the LFR?

0001744168000001.jpg

0001744168000002.jpg

0001744168000003.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Not saying I'm against the idea of building the next halo car......but they would rather kill the car that established the brand and expect to make more money out of the LFR? lmao!

It was the same problem with the LFA, and quite frankly, why I do not really care about the LFR.

Both are "pie in the sky" models with little to no connection to the rest of the Lexus lineup. No investment in F or F SPORT Performance lineups means there is no "story" for any other Lexus owner to aspire to with the LFR.

TTV8 and batteries in a Lexus performance car? Cool! How does it connect to the rest of the Lexus lineup? It doesn't!

Where is the LC F? LS F? LX F? ES F? IS F? RX F?

With no building blocks, LFR is just a poster when it should have been a story.

Am I still glad it exists? Yes, of course.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Isnt the LFR the first derived homologation of the gazoo GT3 vehicle?

Id hope it will underpin a lot more in the future. Shame they skipped a proper generation of F cars, even if not perfect.

RC, IS, whatever the new MX9 is, who knows. Spread the capex around.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I do agree.. especially with that whole "F branding expansion" where they talked about FSH/FSP/F, yet nothing to show for the F?

I still am excited for the LFR don't get me wrong, but would've been a whole lot more interesting if we were still on the original timeline where an LC/LS-F were planned potentially alongside the 5GS-F and LF-1 F.

Since the LFR is just a bespoke sports car based on the GT3, I highly doubt anything of it will trickle down to any performance sedans or coupes, other than maybe the electrified technologies and suspension/active differential technologies it introduces.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

Id hope it will underpin a lot more in the future. Shame they skipped a proper generation of F cars, even if not perfect.

I hope there is more "LFR" in the rest of the lineup than there was "LFA" -- but I think that is the problem: Toyota looks at performance vehicles as special projects instead of part of the Lexus DNA.

Fingers crossed LFR is the start of something new.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I did think of something interesting earlier.. and going off-topic with this, I forget if I've talked about this before.

The new Prius introduced the "Second Generation" TNGA-C platform... Is it a possibility the S230 Crown is introducing a "Second Generation" TNGA-L platform, which could mean it is better optimized for a full lineup of new Lexus models?

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I hope there is more "LFR" in the rest of the lineup than there was "LFA" -- but I think that is the problem: Toyota looks at performance vehicles as special projects instead of part of the Lexus DNA.
I was literally writing something like that and erased it. But looks like you had the same idea, there IS a disconnect between Toyota's performance arm and regular cars.

F was supposed to bridge the two together but clearly it hasn't. The GR Yaris only exists because of homologation, and same thing with the LFR. And the GR Corolla only exists because the GR Yaris's powertrain was already developed and ready for use. Otherwise, we wouldn't see any of these if Toyota didn't participate in motorsports, and as a result we don't see any other performance models beyond these (bar the GRMN SEA-only models)

Reactions
It was the same problem with the LFA, and quite frankly, why I do not really care about the LFR.

Both are "pie in the sky" models with little to no connection to the rest of the Lexus lineup. No investment in F or F SPORT Performance lineups means there is no "story" for any other Lexus owner to aspire to with the LFR.

TTV8 and batteries in a Lexus performance car? Cool! How does it connect to the rest of the Lexus lineup? It doesn't!

Where is the LC F? LS F? LX F? ES F? IS F? RX F?

With no building blocks, LFR is just a poster when it should have been a story.

Am I still glad it exists? Yes, of course.
I don't understand this negativity. The LFA created a cult following for Lexus. The LFA brought attention to Lexus' F lineup and consequently showed that F-Sport products weren't a joke because Lexus bothered to give proper chassis upgrades in order to give it superior handling over the competition. Plus, the interior appointments were LFA-inspired and that on its own was able to net Lexus a lot of sales away from other manufacturers. There was a period in the mid-2010's where Lexus was at the absolute apex (pun not intended) at handling performance. None of this was random, and the LFA's role as the flagship in Lexus' lineup has at the least inspired all Lexus' to have some edge, and at its greatest the LFA inspired the creation of the the best F car other than the LFA itself, the GS F. The LFR will serve the exact same role for Lexus' future portfolio.

In my opinion, it seems that you're only (rightfully) upset that Lexus didn't follow up on engine/power upgrades.

The LFR was created with the money from the dead LC F, LS F, and (Toyota) GR Super Sport projects. It also followed Lexus' plans of building a LFA-type car every 10-15 years, and the LFR lives up to that promise. The LC F and LS F were supposed to have those engines, but we all know that there are problems in terms of weight with the TNGA-L platform.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while posts expressing exasperation like this is understandable because you want to see them compete with other manufacturers, it doesn't make sense to me because we know the answers to all of these questions.

Correct. The Toyota GR GT3 switched to being a Lexus. We saw a Lexus-badged version of that car in a private (outdoor) showing in Chicago.

RX-7/RX-9 will share nothing with Lexus. As far as we know it's going to be developed in conjunction with Toyota and the GR Celica.

I did think of something interesting earlier.. and going off-topic with this, I forget if I've talked about this before.

The new Prius introduced the "Second Generation" TNGA-C platform... Is it a possibility the S230 Crown is introducing a "Second Generation" TNGA-L platform, which could mean it is better optimized for a full lineup of new Lexus models?
The LFR should be riding on a new platform dubbed as *coughs* TNGA-A *coughs*. The A100 GR Supra was going to be paired with the LFR but it seems like the codeveloped project is back on the table and I'm all here for it.

Second, I like the way you think about the possibility of a "second generation" TNGA-L platform happening like it occurred with the TNGA-C platform. It's possible that the new S230 Crown could be a wholly revised TNGA-L platform, which could make it's way onto more RWD products for Toyota and Lexus.

I was literally writing something like that and erased it. But looks like you had the same idea, there IS a disconnect between Toyota's performance arm and regular cars.

F was supposed to bridge the two together but clearly it hasn't. The GR Yaris only exists because of homologation, and same thing with the LFR. And the GR Corolla only exists because the GR Yaris's powertrain was already developed and ready for use. Otherwise, we wouldn't see any of these if Toyota didn't participate in motorsports, and as a result we don't see any other performance models beyond these (bar the GRMN SEA-only models)
The ball needs to get rolling somehow. :)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don't understand this negativity. The LFA created a cult following for Lexus. The LFA brought attention to Lexus' F lineup and consequently showed that F-Sport products weren't a joke because Lexus bothered to give proper chassis upgrades in order to give it superior handling over the competition. Plus, the interior appointments were LFA-inspired and that on its own was able to net Lexus a lot of sales away from other manufacturers. There was a period in the mid-2010's where Lexus was at the absolute apex (pun not intended) at handling performance. None of this was random, and the LFA's role as the flagship in Lexus' lineup has at the least inspired all Lexus' to have some edge, and at its greatest the LFA inspired the creation of the the best F car other than the LFA itself, the GS F. The LFR will serve the exact same role for Lexus' future portfolio.

In my opinion, it seems that you're only (rightfully) upset that Lexus didn't follow up on engine/power upgrades.

The LFR was created with the money from the dead LC F, LS F, and (Toyota) GR Super Sport projects. It also followed Lexus' plans of building a LFA-type car every 10-15 years, and the LFR lives up to that promise. The LC F and LS F were supposed to have those engines, but we all know that there are problems in terms of weight with the TNGA-L platform.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while posts expressing exasperation like this is understandable because you want to see them compete with other manufacturers, it doesn't make sense to me because we know the answers to all of these questions.

While we both agree that the LFR will be an exciting product when it comes, I guess we disagree on how that performance focus could/would have been spread to other products in the lineup and created something wholly more meaningful for more people.

Lexus made a lot of promises with F that never really materialized - hopefully the LFR and future of F/GR/whatever they end up calling it will be different.