Lexus LFR Megathread

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions

But due to delays to the planned release of the GR GT3-derived road car that will be launched to coincide with the race version, Toyota is now targeting a WEC debut in 2026.

"Everybody knows we are developing a car, and this car will come to race in Europe in 2026," Toyota WEC team director Rob Leupen told Motorsport.com.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I feel like we might see a follow up concept for the coupe model potentially. I mean, Toyota teased the Supra with the FT-1, the LC with LF-FC... maybe a more production-close concept this year.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
That TTV8 will be 6 years old when it finally sees any application. Remember the cancelled GS-F and LC-F was targeting 2020 with LS-F in 2021 and LF-1 in 2023. Now we still have another three years of waiting.

I think this is the LFA story all over again. They had to cancel when development was almost done and reboot the program resulting in so much delay that the final product is already obsolete when it comes out. But unlike LFA the LFR won't be a "greatest of all time" candidate because it's much less ambitious and extreme.

The LFR would be an impressive hypercar in 2016 and a competitive supercar in 2022, but by 2026 it won't be anything special.

Reactions
This doesn't disprove anything I've said about when it will start racing. As for the reveal, it will perhaps be another internal reveal. I said it will start racing in IMSA for 2025. I'm just working with the information that was given to me, as they're close with employees that work for TGR WEC.
The LFR would be an impressive hypercar in 2016 and a competitive supercar in 2022, but by 2026 it won't be anything special.
They can do what they did with the IS500 and spin this off as "old school cool". Also, 1000 horsepower for 200-300k is no slouch.

Last edited:

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
When will the road car hit the 'Ring in prototype form?

The A90 started Nurburgring testing under BMW's fleet in 2016, 3 years ahead of debut in 2019. LFA testing for even longer,

I know Toyota has their "mini 'Ring" test track, but that's certainly not anywhere near the 'Ring's scope for testing is it? Though, we had those secret LC-F shot from the Toyota test track that we only got one picture from, so they could have been doing a ton of private extensive testing there hidden from view, but still.

I really feel like the road car is at the very least 2 years away still, especially with BestCar reporting the final design was only recently signed off.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

The company has announced that the “central section” of the Toyota Technical Center Shimoyama has now been finished, and a big part of this new R&D facility is a 3.3-mile test track.

“Based on long experience of the Nürburgring Nordschleife, which is famous throughout the world for its grueling driving conditions, Toyota has designed an exacting test course,” the company says. Built in a mountainous region around 30 minutes drive from its HQ in Toyota City, it has a 75-meter elevation change between the highest and lowest bits, plus “a wide range of curves and corners.”

‎”I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The LFR is a farewell to traditional performance ICEV. F plans probably changed a lot when Lexus was reconsidered as a full BEV brand.

That would allow a whole lineup of products starting at 360kW/480PS in the low end and up to 750kW/1000PS for halo cars.

A full F lineup could be built with a common platform and standardized parts.

And they can give all of them manual transmission just with software.

The future for Lexus performance is bright, but not in the form we expect.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Doesn't sound very inspiring :( as expected the LFR will just be a "one hit" wonder for ICE F. And bringing back manual when we're going back to EVs... But not having any manuals on the actual ICE F products.. idk