Lexus LFR Megathread

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Who knows what kind of crazy componentry they could be developing.
I would be shocked if the chassis and components didnt see more than one application.

F was them trying to create an M or AMG. They needed to go motorsport first to make that a real possibility.

Electric component advancements must make integration of performance simpler and more economic as we move towards advanced hybrids and full electric.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
The GR Yaris only exists because of homologation, and same thing with the LFR. And the GR Corolla only exists because the GR Yaris's powertrain was already developed and ready for use

And those are some of their most impactful, mindshare capturing products.

Maybe Toyota learned something from that.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
rear and side

11_LFA-II_s_SCOOP_CG_03k.jpg

12_LFA-II_s_SCOOP_CG_04k.jpg

Source: BestCarWeb

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions
“The most surprising thing about the information obtained this time is the price, which is said to be around 20 million yen. It is significantly cheaper than the first LFA (37.5 million yen), GT-R Nismo (28.65 million yen to 29.15 million yen), and NSX Type S (27.94 million yen), and in terms of Lexus it is slightly above the LS.”

I believe the price will be much higher than the LS

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
That render looks REALLY damn good. A Japanese AMG GT that doesn't look awkwardly bulbous but sporty aggressive and classy.

Now I'm just imagining an RX-9 on a shortened version of the same platform.. one can dream!

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
I can't help but notice that there is no one fifth of the hype for LFR like it was for LFA so gotta ask the question what is the upside for branding LFR as Lexus?

To introduce Lexus to major racing events?
To boost Lexus image with another halo car?

Since this will not be a BEV car I'm really not sure why LC-F was cancelled and now reintroduced as this years later. Whle LFA was Ferrari and Lambo competition this is more of like AMG GT rival and Mercedes take on SL/AMG GT combo.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I can't help but notice that there is no one fifth of the hype for LFR like it was for LFA so gotta ask the question what is the upside for branding LFR as Lexus?

To introduce Lexus to major racing events?
To boost Lexus image with another halo car?

Since this will not be a BEV car I'm really not sure why LC-F was cancelled and now reintroduced as this years later. Whle LFA was Ferrari and Lambo competition this is more of like AMG GT rival and Mercedes take on SL/AMG GT combo.

There was a lot of momentum with F and Lexus performance cars around the time that the LFA was being developed and then introduced. With the IS F introduction in 2008, and so many LFA concepts clearly working towards production, there was a consistent trickle of hype up to the production car.

Fast forward to LFR:
F is pretty much dead now so there's no consistency with performance vehicles that would build to the LFR as a halo vehicle, and Toyota has created confusion with the GT3 Concept being shown branded as Toyota, Lexus and GR. No IS F, no LC F, no LS F, GS is gone, RC F is almost done, so the base of people who would be drumming up excitement around the LFR have probably scattered to other brands.

The R&D money for the LFR instead being put into F versions of the GX, LX and LC, and building a production LF-1, would have been much better spent with a much stronger halo impact for the brand IMO. Though Lexus needs something to race with once the RC expires... however, this whole discussion is a good example of why I don't understand Lexus' commitment to racing.