Lexus LFR/LFA II Megathread

Kelvin2020

Admirer
Reactions
I was one of them. I was told a very long time ago (like... years ago) by someone away from these forums that this would be a second generation LFA.

That was until when someone very recently told me that it won't be a Lexus rather a Toyota, I still chose to say nothing because it is clear that Toyota/Lexus made a huge about-face, and felt like it was inappropriate to leak such information.

It was supposed to be a 1000 horsepower, 4.0L twin-turbocharged V8 hybrid as a Lexus, but now it's a Toyota.
In other words, the LC500 is the last internal combustion engine coupe we will see from Lexus 😔

Reactions
Also are we forgetting Toyota internally marketing the GR GT3 with a Lexus badge to the dealers and other personnel? What happened to that?
I'm also irked by that, but it really seems like they made a radical switch out of nowhere. I'm pissed off because Toyota is now purposefully pigeonholing themselves into building ICE cars for the Crown models or other Toyotas but they're all buzzy and annoying-ass 4-cylinders.

At least with Lexus there was potential hope of them coming out with a new 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder engines.

I really don't understand what's going on.

Aside from their GR cars (includes the GT3), and cars like the Corolla/Prius, and cars like the IS, GX, LC, and LS, a lot of their cars just seem so half-assed.

Reactions
I'm also irked by that, but it really seems like they made a radical switch out of nowhere. I'm pissed off because Toyota is now purposefully pigeonholing themselves into building ICE cars for the Crown models or other Toyotas but they're all buzzy and annoying-ass 4-cylinders.

At least with Lexus there was potential hope of them coming out with a new 6-cylinder or 8-cylinder engines.

I really don't understand what's going on.

Aside from their GR cars (includes the GT3), and cars like the Corolla/Prius, and cars like the IS, GX, LC, and LS, a lot of their cars just seem so half-assed.
Changing it to a Toyota is certainly...a choice. With that and the state of their longitudinal, RWD-based models, I'm not sure TMC are interested in Lexus being anything more than Toyota+, which is a good way to starve a legacy that took decades to build.

Maybe I'm just sentimental, but if it were all the same the big text in the top left of this page wouldn't read Lexus Enthusiast. Models like the ISF, GSF, and RCF only really exist under a brand like Lexus.

Reactions
In a world where we have GR Corolla, GR 86, GR Supra... I think this car will be GR branded as the flagship. Not Toyota branded.

Just my .02.

I remember when people were thinking the same thing about the GR Supra, but it ended up being a Toyota (which is for the better). I expect this to be branded as a Toyota. GR is a great performance division, but it makes no sense for it to be a standalone brand.

Reactions
I dont remember anyone thinking that was going to be a Lexus. Reports of the BMW/Toyota collab was making headlines as early as 2012.
People were saying the Toyota GR Supra would be just the GR Supra (with GR being the brand name), and have no Toyota branding.

From what I gathered of what Gecko was trying to say, he was making the point that he thinks it will be called the GR GT3, not the Toyota GR GT3.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So the "R" in LFR does not mean "racing" but "recharge"? Maybe the LFR was always planned to be the production version of the Electrified Sports concept?

Kelvin2020

Admirer
Reactions
So the "R" in LFR does not mean "racing" but "recharge"? Maybe the LFR was always planned to be the production version of the Electrified Sports concept?
As we all thought LFR was the GR GT3, and the EV super car is the second gen LFA (I remember they trademark the LFA nameplate again last year).

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
As we all thought LFR was the GR GT3, and the EV super car is the second gen LFA (I remember they trademark the LFA nameplate again last year).
Just because "LFA" was trademarked does not mean that the name will used again. It may have been trademarked to prevent the iconic LFA name from falling into someone other than Toyota.

That is what happened to the Ford "GT40" name: It fell out of Ford's control, and when Ford wanted it for their 2004 model, Safir GT40 Spares, which then owned the name, wanted US$40 million to licence the name to Ford.

Kelvin2020

Admirer
Reactions
Just because "LFA" was trademarked does not mean that the name will used again. It may have been trademarked to prevent the iconic LFA name from falling into someone other than Toyota.

That is what happened to the Ford "GT40" name: It fell out of Ford's control, and when Ford wanted it for their 2004 model, Safir GT40 Spares, which then owned the name, wanted US$40 million to licence the name to Ford.
I see, thanks for this!