Lexus at the SEMA Show

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Have their been any leaks? Wondering what I'll see in two and a half weeks, haven't seen anything.
Last year was rather disappointing. Lexus always had their own free standing tent and outside behind display area, usually with free swag or a chance to drive a new debut.
In 2014, they moved inside to a cramped corner just inside the door. I was never able to photograph the RC on display for the crowd wrapped around waiting for a free piece of jewelry. The Instagram RC was readily available at the Vossen display over in Wheels and Tires.
Hope they go back to their large outdoor display again?

Attachments

• 20121030_095055.jpg
    20121030_095055.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think its going to be the one small booth again. I'm rather very disappointed with how this year has played out. Wish I could elaborate more.

Expect a modified GS F, is 200t and a couple other cars.

The importfest rocket bunny rc 350 will be in airrunner's feature area from Toronto.

Vossen will have a small 10x10 area, no co Lexus booth with 5 cars like last year We are hosting a private event at the Mandarin Oriental at night.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
11SEMALexusGSF_0022N.jpg 11SEMALexusGSF_0001N.jpg I don't want to utilize an inappropriate adjective here, but that is so sad to hear Mike/Lexfather. I harken back to my days at SEMA when Lexus was a dominant force, drawing crowds outside to even stand in the heat for a custom, complimentary T-Shirt. I fondly remember the ability to DRIVE an IS-F when people hadn't even really seen them yet in 2006. And the shock and awe of an LFA in the outside booth that was open to see and photograph, and would deliver an auditory eargasm when they started it about every 30 minutes. Or the world debut of the then newly redesigned GS350 F Sport, and the special ride I received in the front seat as IMSA driver Scott Pruett took me for a spirited test drive on the test track outside between the Las Vegas Convention Center buildings out back. I guess for reasons you are already aware of and disappointed by, automakers are somehow putting less emphasis on SEMA much like the decline of participation at the nationwide new car shows.

Reactions
I think its going to be the one small booth again. I'm rather very disappointed with how this year has played out. Wish I could elaborate more.
Marketing budget allocated to Plano move? I'm wondering what their marketing department thinks after every show, if there has been good ROI...
Expect a modified GS F, is 200t and a couple other cars.

The importfest rocket bunny rc 350 will be in airrunner's feature area from Toronto.

Vossen will have a small 10x10 area, no co Lexus booth with 5 cars like last year We are hosting a private event at the Mandarin Oriental at night.
Big show booth or girls and booze...tough decision on how to spend the show budget :p

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Marketing budget allocated to Plano move? I'm wondering what their marketing department thinks after every show, if there has been good ROI...

Big show booth or girls and booze...tough decision on how to spend the show budget :p

I've seen what I consider more of a waste of money than that at auto shows.....hip-hop dancers bouncing around to equally hip-hop music. NFL cheerleaders sitting in the rear seat of convertibles where you get in and get your picture taken with them. Race-car simulators set up on the floor for Michael Schumacker Wanna-Bees. Maybe I'm just staid and conservative, but I just don't see how that kind of stuff sells cars.

Some displays, though, I think, are brilliant, and definitely help to draw attention to the vehicles. One is Jeep's indoor simulated 4WD off-road course, where the vehicles, right there on the show floor, drive through deep water puddles, up and down very steep hill-humps, and over large boulders/rocks/logs. Another, though I haven't seen it in the last couple of years since Subaru switched to more electronic-based AWD, was the Subaru Forester's AWD powertrain, completely encased in a transparent clear covering, tilted up at an angle, showing all of the mechanical actions occurring inside of the slowly turning engine, transmission, transfer case, final-drive unit, differentials, driveshafts, and whees/tires. That one was really fascinating......but it doesn't reflect Subaru's most recent technology anymore

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Have their been any leaks? Wondering what I'll see in two and a half weeks, haven't seen anything.
Last year was rather disappointing. Lexus always had their own free standing tent and outside behind display area, usually with free swag or a chance to drive a new debut.
In 2014, they moved inside to a cramped corner just inside the door. I was never able to photograph the RC on display for the crowd wrapped around waiting for a free piece of jewelry. The Instagram RC was readily available at the Vossen display over in Wheels and Tires.
Hope they go back to their large outdoor display again?

Two things:
  • Lexus executives were VERY happy with their booth last year, though I agree with you that the outside tent was much better for really seeing the cars.
  • You're a SEMA regular? We'll have to meet up!

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Two things:
  • Lexus executives were VERY happy with their booth last year, though I agree with you that the outside tent was much better for really seeing the cars.
  • You're a SEMA regular? We'll have to meet up!
LMAO
Thanks for the insight. I always spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time milling about Lexus as an owner.
As a SEMA credentialed member of the media (green badge), my presence didn't hurt Lexus either.
If they really thought cramming three cars onto a riser and wrapping a crowd around it standing in line for some free trinket was a good idea, then I just learned all I need to know about their execs.
Go over one building and see what's happening at Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, Honda, Hyundai.
I trust your input but I laugh disdainfully at how that bests their previous exterior efforts that always drew a crowd. ... and I miss the free t-shirts.
-Yup, SEMA media since 2006.

mikeavelli

Reactions
View attachment 916 View attachment 917 I don't want to utilize an inappropriate adjective here, but that is so sad to hear Mike/Lexfather. I harken back to my days at SEMA when Lexus was a dominant force, drawing crowds outside to even stand in the heat for a custom, complimentary T-Shirt. I fondly remember the ability to DRIVE an IS-F when people hadn't even really seen them yet in 2006. And the shock and awe of an LFA in the outside booth that was open to see and photograph, and would deliver an auditory eargasm when they started it about every 30 minutes. Or the world debut of the then newly redesigned GS350 F Sport, and the special ride I received in the front seat as IMSA driver Scott Pruett took me for a spirited test drive on the test track outside between the Las Vegas Convention Center buildings out back. I guess for reasons you are already aware of and disappointed by, automakers are somehow putting less emphasis on SEMA much like the decline of participation at the nationwide new car shows.

Yeah that was a cool year and its always good to be driven by Scott lol. Note how now BMW, Benz are there (as Nissan) and the German booths were larger and pretty damn cool. Lexus has an amazing location (right by the front doors) but the spot is small. I think SEMAS has worked for them as Lexus was the first luxury brand at SEMA and it made them cooler/hipper and showcases their product to people and companies in ways most don't expect to this day. Before I got with Vossen I always highly anticipated what vehicles would debut there.

I am hoping for big changes next year and to be a big part of it :)

Here is last years video on our end working with our good friend Clark Ishihara at VIP Auto Salon....shows the process of the #instabuilt RC F and our booth and the final shoot at Red Rock National Park...

There is no doubt such a landmark move is taking a toll, these are human beings with feelings, families and hard decisions have to be made.

Lexus has never had booth girls to my knowledge :D ...but booze is always welcome lol.

I've seen what I consider more of a waste of money than that at auto shows.....hip-hop dancers bouncing around to equally hip-hop music. NFL cheerleaders sitting in the rear seat of convertibles where you get in and get your picture taken with them. Race-car simulators set up on the floor for Michael Schumacker Wanna-Bees. Maybe I'm just staid and conservative, but I just don't see how that kind of stuff sells cars.

Some displays, though, I think, are brilliant, and definitely help to draw attention to the vehicles. One is Jeep's indoor simulated 4WD off-road course, where the vehicles, right there on the show floor, drive through deep water puddles, up and down very steep hill-humps, and over large boulders/rocks/logs. Another, though I haven't seen it in the last couple of years since Subaru switched to more electronic-based AWD, was the Subaru Forester's AWD powertrain, completely encased in a transparent clear covering, tilted up at an angle, showing all of the mechanical actions occurring inside of the slowly turning engine, transmission, transfer case, final-drive unit, differentials, driveshafts, and whees/tires. That one was really fascinating......but it doesn't reflect Subaru's most recent technology anymore

I think it depends on the target audience. Hip Hop works in an Atlanta Auto Show but might not work in the Tusla Auto Show. Women/Sex still sells cars and it is what it is, thus models are used to attract people to a booth. Race-car simulators get the youth involved and they are hoping that that same youth remembers the positive experience and wants to hopefully one day purchase the product.

In regards to SEMA, I dont' recall Suburu. I assume Jeep is upstairs but I rarely go to the off-road/hardcore truck area.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
In regards to SEMA, I dont' recall Suburu. I assume Jeep is upstairs but I rarely go to the off-road/hardcore truck area.

Sorry if that was unclear, Mike. In that specific post I made, I wasn't referring to Jeep or Subaru SEMA displays, but those at new-car shows. I'd imagine,though, that Subie might have some customized or slammed WRX/STi models at the SEMAs shows.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Well I hear Nitto will have a LFA in their outside booth. We also should have one :) (Vossen) and no joke, might use it as a Taxi to shuttle some VIPs:D

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
@theLexfather
Good thing Vossen considers Green Badge Media members as "VIP". Or owners of more than one 2015 Lexus in Matador Red Mica. Whichever qualifies first. I'm not greedy. I'll settle for a ride. No need to drive :cool: