Lamborghini goes back to rear-wheel-drive with Huracan LP 580-2

mikeavelli

Reactions
1.jpg&MaxW=700&cci_ts=20151117111737

http://www.autonews.com/article/20151117/OEM04/151119880/1114

David Undercoffler
Automotive News
November 17, 2015 - 11:00 am ET
LOS ANGELES -- What’s old is new again at Lamborghini.

After years of building supercars that were almost exclusively all-wheel drive, the Italian brand is going back to rear-wheel-drive basics with the debut of the Huracan LP 580-2.

Announced a day before the 2015 Los Angeles Auto Show, the midengine, V-10 coupe is the third -- and cheapest -- Huracan road car after the awd coupe and convertible variants.

“The Lamborghini Huracan LP 580-2 continues the Lamborghini tradition of pure, visionary and technology-driven models,” Lamborghini CEO Stephan Winkelmann said in a statement. “The rear-wheel drive model fits perfectly into our Huracan family, appealing to those wanting an even more intense driving experience, or who currently drive other rear-wheel-drive marques and aspire to driving a Lamborghini.”

The Huracan LP 580-2 uses the same naturally aspirated, 5.2-liter, V-10 engine as its awd counterparts. Power drops to 572 hp from 601 hp, and torque drops to 398 pounds-feet from 413 pounds-feet. Cylinder deactivation remains in the name of saving fuel, as does the Huracan’s seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.

The 580-2 is 73 pounds lighter without the weight of the awd system. Lacking the Earth-gripping traction on takeoff, the rwd model’s 0-to-62-mph time is 3.4 seconds, 0.2 seconds slower than the Huracan LP 610-4 coupe.

The suspension, steering and stability and traction controls all have been recalibrated for the revised setup, Lamborghini said. The Pirelli tires are also unique, as is the 580-2’s front fascia.

The Huracan LP 580-2 will start at $201,100 including a gas guzzler tax, or about $39,000 less than the awd LP 610-4 coupe.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Personally I am overjoyed they ditched the babysitting AWD for a proper RWD Lambo. I don't care if its slower, some things make me all hot and bothered... RWD Lambos are one of them lol.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not that I ever drove a lambo, but AWD cars generally don't get tipsy like RWD cars. I love the snappiness of RWD.

Yessir!!! While obviously the technical capabilities of an AWD car make for a better driver, the technical capabilities of a driver in a RWD car can't be touched in regards to emotional involvement. My 2 cents.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Yessir!!! While obviously the technical capabilities of an AWD car make for a better driver, the technical capabilities of a driver in a RWD car can't be touched in regards to emotional involvement. My 2 cents.

Yep. For a while after Sandy all my cars were AWD or FWD, and then I drove a RWD sedan for the first time in a few years, and the first turn I make I could tell its RWD. There's no mistaking that snappy feel of RWD, and I just love it. Of course not every RWD/FWD or AWD are created equal, but when it comes to Lambo, whatever they do is going to be explosive. :)

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Not so much. I just did laps in an AWD Huracan at Las Vegas Motor Speedway and with 610HP, the rear end had a pronounced snap to it coming hard out of a corner. You can see it in my on board video. It had no issues hitting the apex hard but it reminded me of the tail happy Ferrari 458 Italia.
Mind you, I had just come out of an Audi R8 V10 and although the tires protested loudly, it never gave up grip.
On the street may be fun, but RWD will be a handful plus in any track experience.image.jpeg

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not so much. I just did laps in an AWD Huracan at Las Vegas Motor Speedway and with 610HP, the rear end had a pronounced snap to it coming hard out of a corner. You can see it in my on board video. It had no issues hitting the apex hard but it reminded me of the tail happy Ferrari 458 Italia.
Mind you, I had just come out of an Audi R8 V10 and although the tires protested loudly, it never gave up grip.
On the street may be fun, but RWD will be a handful plus in any track experience.View attachment 1008

Nice!!! Sounds like a blast.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Either way, leave the various electronic nannys (stability control systems) on for safety....