Reactions
Kia Soul EV (Electric) Test-Drive from D.C. Auto Show
logo.jpg

KIA-Soul-EV-charging-streetside.jpg

KiaSoulEV1216(6)_794_529_70.jpg

nhung-hinh-anh-dep-nhat-cua-mau-xe-kia-soul-ev-wagon-2016-so-10.jpg

kia-sould-ev-dash.jpg

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/soul-ev/2017

At the D.C. Auto Show this year, among many other vehicles, I looked at the Kia Niro out on the display floor. The Niro, a gas/electric hybrid, will basically compete with the Toyota Prius, Ford C-Max, and other fairly small hybrids. But Kia did not have a Niro available for its outdoor test-drive circuit there. So, I chose the Soul EV all-electric version instead, as I had sampled a number of gas-engine Souls over the years (my brother had one for five years, and loved it). So, the usual registration/sign-up on the I-pad, a puff on the Breathalyzer to check for alcohol (redundant for me, as I'm a teetotaller and don't drink), a quick tour of the exterior and cargo area by a Kia rep (like I really needed it LOL), hop into the driver's seat with a rep, buckle up, scan the controls to get familiarized, get adjusted, and go. Though it was the usual Mickey-Mouse test-drive around the central city streets near the Convention Center (certainly not enough for a regular MM Review), I'll share my reaction for any of you who are interested...and, I'll admit, it was a quite pleasant one.

The EV version of the Kia Soul lists for 32K to start, roughly twice (yes, twice) what a base-model gas-engined version does, at 16K. But (as I found out even during the brief test-drive), there is a reason for that. It buys an advanced lithium-ion battery pack (not as advanced as the one in the Tesla Model S, but it doesn't cost 100K like a Model S, either), more comfortable and softly-padded seats than in other Souls I'm sampled, a super-slick, simple-to-use shifter), large, well-lit digital and barograph gauges (I'm generally not a fan of digital gauges, but these are well-done), an advanced permanent-magnet electric motor with 109 HP and 210 ft-lbs. of torque (remember, electric motors produce max torque at very low RPMs), and (apparently) more money and attention spend at the plant on refinement and fit/finish than other, cheaper, gas-engine versions. And, of course, that 30-40K selling price will be lowered somewhat by Federal and any applicable state or local tax-credits....though you won't actually get the money back (or save it) until the next time you do your taxes. You may (?) also get HOV priviledges on rush-hour freeways (where applicable) to save time and traffic-congestion.

Not only does the EV version feel different when you first get in and buckle up, but, on the road, the drivetrain is also quite different from gas-engined versions. The electric motor is super-quiet, the transmission (without conventional shifts) is virtually imperceptible. Like the gas-engine versions, it has noticeably better ride quality and noise-control over city-state bumps then the early versions like my brother had (I first noticed the difference with the face-lift and partial-redesign of the gas-engined versions a few years ago). Inside, that 32K also seems to buy a more comfortable, better-trimmed interior and, as I mentioned above, slicker, easier-to-use controls. So, yes, more money than the gas models....for a substantially nicer vehicle.......assuming, of course, you don't drive long distances at a stretch, and have regular access to 110V or 220V electric outlets for charging (some places may have the new 400V chargers that will do the job in 20-30 minutes).

Last, instead of the usual Kia caps, phone-charging cords, key-chains, or other small gifts, this year Kia gave out $10 cards for ordering things off of Amazon. I'll give it to my brother, as I usually don't order things on-line, except for rewards gift-cards from my bank when I get enough points.

And, as Always..........Happy Car-Shopping.
hello.gif

MM

Reactions
Last, instead of the usual Kia caps, phone-charging cords, key-chains, or other small gifts, this year Kia gave out $10 cards for ordering things off of Amazon. I'll give it to my brother, as I usually don't order things on-line, except for rewards gift-cards from my bank when I get enough points.
You're old school Mike! Yup, they give Amazon cards, which are worth my time to test drive a Kia (I got a USB charger before from them). Unfortunately, the Kia dealership isn't as generous but they did give me water when I had to go check out the Forte for my cousin.

Anyway, the Soul EVs are rare, and probably the only one I saw was probably the one you test drove at the show. OTOH, this probably will take a backseat to the Niro though.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
You're old school Mike!

Yes, I'm old-school in at least some areas.....I'll admit it. I don't care for very large wheels, low-profile tires, firmly-padded seats, low rooflines, complex electronic controls, and stiff riding over bumps. But that doesn't necessarily mean that my first choice as a daily-driver would be a big American boat from 30 or 40 years ago.....I like to have some response LOL.

I agree with you on the Niro, though they didn't have one available on the test-drive circuit. Just from what I saw out on the floor, I think it will be a credible alternative to the Toyota Prius...something that the well-built but non-discontinued Honda Insight hybrid simply was not.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I wish they would keep out of the fast lane...haven't seen the EV yet...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
...haven't seen the EV yet...

EVs, as would be expected, are most common in Cailfornia, which has not only a good network of electric-charging stations, but probably the country's best network of infrastructure and refueling stations for alternate-fuel vehicles, period. They are becoming more popular in the D.C area, though...especially the Teslas and the small BMW I-electric, for the many in this high-income area who can afford them.

I wish they would keep out of the fast lane

As far as them getting into the fast lane, if desired, hey can actually get up to speed pretty quickly, because electric motors produce most of their torque at very low RPMs (theoretically, maximum right next to zero). But, the single-speed transmission typical of full-electrics, in some cases, limits potential top speed due to lack of flexibility.