If you didnt like the zupra collab....

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
While there were rumours of Mazda and Toyota collabing on a RWD platform then being abandoned pre-Covid, I now wonder if this collaboration could be revisited.

Toyota, I assume, wants to build an A100 and Mazda really wants to build a rotary sports car.. neither of them could do it alone and this could be the perfect time for them to co-develop a sports car platform and have a new Supra and RX-7(RX-9?) out by 2028.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I’m surprised Toyota can’t make a case for another Supra/SC relationship based on what they’ve got in the corporate parts bin and the fact that both brands need new coupes.

Maybe that’s Mazda/Supra/SC…?

Reactions
While there were rumours of Mazda and Toyota collabing on a RWD platform then being abandoned pre-Covid, I now wonder if this collaboration could be revisited.

Toyota, I assume, wants to build an A100 and Mazda really wants to build a rotary sports car.. neither of them could do it alone and this could be the perfect time for them to co-develop a sports car platform and have a new Supra and RX-7(RX-9?) out by 2028.
Those rumors were way blown out of proportion. It was someone's weird wet dream.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Just because nothing realized out of it doesn't mean there wasn't actual collaboration happening. I'm sure there genuinely was something going on just before the pandemic which got immediately canned.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
A platform that can fit both a compact (short and low) rotary engine and a large (long and tall) piston engine, and be well-balanced front-to-rear for both engine types? It would be a modular platform, I presume.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I think it's important for this to be said as a reminder and clarification. Many Toyota fans fundamentally have an issue with the 'Zupra' not because it's simply a collaboration product, but the fact that it's a collaboration with a direct competitor from a completely different country, from a completely different culture, with a completely different corporate culture and philosophy on car building compared to Toyota. Many Toyota fans fundamentally have a problem with the 'Zupra' because it's a BMW with a Toyota body. That is the problem, period. It doesn't matter how good the car is. What matters is that on principle it's not a Toyota product, at all.

The situation is different for all other major collaborations Toyota has done in its history. The product collaborations with Yamaha and Subaru over the years are totally different because both Yamaha and Subaru are partially part of the Toyota group or family of companies. If Toyota needs to partner again with someone for a future Supra, many Toyota fans will be fine with it as long as it's a partnership within the Toyota group or the Toyota family. That's why extremely few Toyota fans have any problems with the 86 as a product.