I ordered my new car today.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
2017-Buick-LaCrosse-grille-1-760x506.jpeg

Well, folks, I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of this (primarily-Lexus) forum LOL, but I made my decision and ordered my new car today....a 2017 Buick Lacrosse (Preferred-Trim-Level), with a minimum of options.....just the all-weather floor mats. The base-trim model doesn't come with the Sirius XM satellite radio I wanted, and the more expensive Essence and Premium versions come with a bunch of added stuff that I can do without. I would have liked the Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, but that comes in a Driver Confidence Package that also includes NAV and a bunch of other things I don't need (and I'm generally very careful backing up, and all new cars come with a standard back-up camera). The Preferred trim-level does come with power tilt/telescoping steering column and the Satellite radio I wanted.

Out of all the exterior colors offered (like many upscale sedans, mostly funeral-home shades), I think the Lacrosse looks best in the "Pepperdust" metallic (and all of the metallic or pearl colors, except the Plain-Jane appliance-white and coal-black, carry either a $395 or $995 mark-up....you can thank the Germans for starting that crap, years ago). The Pepperdust Metallic, despite its being rather dull, IMO, is still attractive...and that is the color they the auto-show-tour Lacrosses were painted. It is an unusual combination of a rather light smoked gray Metallic, Moondust, and Champagine....kind of a nice throwback to the silver big Buick I had in college, but an even more interesting color.

Right now, delivery looks to be after the pollen season....about 6-8 weeks, so we're probably talking early-mid June. (just in time for big thunderstorms and hail in this area LOL......Hey, you can't win them all).
biggrin.gif
And, yes, Mr. Trump...I bought American...American-market Lacrosses are built in Kansas City, with American labor, though some previous-generation Lacrosses were built in Canada. (My last two cars, the Verano and Subaru Outback, were also built in American plants...the Outback in Lafayette, IN, and the Verano in Orion, MI).

In actuality, this was not an easy decision. It was a TOUGH choice between what I thought were four excellent sedans in this class (luxury or entry-level-luxury, depending on how you view it)...the Lacrosse, Lincoln MKZ, Lexus ES350, and Genesis G80, with the Chevy Impala and Kia Cadenza being two other possible options. The Lacrosse ended up being the choice for three basic reasons......First, excellent dealer service (which I believe in rewarding), Second, the Lacrosse's outstanding ride comfort and quietness, and, Third, my longtime attraction to the Buick nameplate, dating back to my late teens and college, though, from after the time I was in college till the time the Verano came out, Buicks, quality-wise, were mostly garbage, and I pretty much had to avoid them. You could (maybe) add a fourth...Buick's recent rise in Consumer Reports' reliability ratings to just behind Lexus, though that typically affects the Opel-based models more than the larger, American-based models like the Lacrosse and Enclave, which are generally average in reliability.

2017-buick-lacrosse-live-bw-prev_653.jpg

2017-buick-lacrosse-1-1.jpg

StockPhotoThumb.ashx

mm_gal_item_c2_7.img_resize.img_stage._3.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Congrats, Mike! Share some pics when you get it!
Thanks. :) I'll try and post them, but sometimes I have trouble uploading them. If not, it will look exactly like the images I posted above.

(If I don't get kicked off the forum for ordering a Buick LOL)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Thanks, everyone. :) The sales-manager called me today.....they found out that GM's not taking any more orders for this year's Lacrosse. (I asked them, before I placed the order, if it was too late, and they said no...Go Figure). Anyhow, after my authorization for an order-revision, I'll get a new 2018 instead....maybe in 8-10 weeks instead of the original 6-8. That will come with the new GM 9-speed 9TXX transmission that was jointly-developed with Ford, and first used on some 2017 Chevy models this year (this year's Lacrosse used an 8-speed automatic). I was concerned, earlier, about next year's Lacrosse being a Guinea-Pig test-bed for a (maybe) unproven or trouble-prone new transmission (and Consumer Reports has cautioned about buying complex newly-introduced transmissions....several of which have proven unreliable). But then, I saw that some GM models got that unit this this year...so it already has some break-in experience. And, when I did some research on that transmission, it seems like there are a lot of nice things being said about it, and about its refinement, capabilities, and efficiency....I guess I'll find out when I own one if they are true or not.

Other changes include a small final-drive ratio change, several color-changes that (fortunately) will not affect the nice exterior or interior colors I ordered, and a small 1-2% price increase (no big deal for me, as it will be a cash sale and I don't have to apply for any loans). Fortunately, the same relatively cushy-riding 18" 50-series wheels and tires remain....and I just hope they don't decide to stiffen the base suspension, as so many auto manufacturers keep doing today. Some versions will get a new 4-cylinder hybrid powertrain...fortunately, mine (as I wanted) will still have the 3.6L normally-aspirated V6 of 311 HP and 282 ft-lbs. of torque.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Congratulations! I trust that you were able to get a good deal and a fair trade value.

The order-revision to a 2018, of course, will change it some. Trade-in appraisal (if I decide to go that route) will wait till the new car comes in...no sense in getting an appraisal two months early, when anything to my old car can happen in the meantime. I didn't get quite as much off sticker as I had hoped, since dealerships end to push models that are in stock rather than special-orders. I put down the usual 1K deposit. Also, I'm ordering a relatively low-line model without a lot of options and packages.....there is usually more mark-up (and room to deal) on option-laded vehicles and (especially) dealer-installed accessories than on the base car itself. Working in my favor, though, are a substantially lower dealer-processing fee compared to other nearby dealerships (those fees are not regulated here in Virginia like they are in next-door Maryland), and an almost 2% lower new-car sales-tax here (4.15% instead of Maryland's 6%). Of course, by law, sales-tax is paid on the state where the car will be registered, not the state in which you actually by it. Still unknown is what the rebate (if any) will be, since it is a new 2018 instead of a 2017. The way GM operates, you get credit for the rebate in effect on the day the car is delivered, not the day it is built.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
does she come with the new car?
5e41154bfc1199865e19b1b7fec9e015

That ad (among others) was trying to promote the smaller, Opel-based Buicks, not the more traditional Lacrosse. Seems like Buick spends a lot of ad money on pro athletes trying to promote their products......first, Tiger Woods, then Shaq O'Neal, now Cam Newton. At one time, they even had Donald Trump (before he was President) doing Verano ads.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Nice Mike!!!

Thanks. :) Nice, yes, but not quite up in the class or level of the LS and GS models you've had. Buick simply doesn't sell anything in that class here in the American market, although they do in China. But it was pretty much what I was looking for. The Lacrosse has a reputation (well-founded, IMO), as the American-badged Lexus ES350, though the latest Lincoln MKZ could also give that title a run for the money.

Last edited:
Reactions
That ad (among others) was trying to promote the smaller, Opel-based Buicks, not the more traditional Lacrosse. Seems like Buick spends a lot of ad money on pro athletes trying to promote their products......first, Tiger Woods, then Shaq O'Neal, now Cam Newton. At one time, they even had Donald Trump (before he was President) doing Verano ads.
Yes I know...perhaps they doing better at attracting a younger buyer base, without sacrificing too many of their traditional buyers like yourself.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes I know...perhaps they doing better at attracting a younger buyer base, without sacrificing too many of their traditional buyers like yourself.

The (former) Trump ad for the Verano, though, seemed aimed at those who liked traditional Buicks...trying to convince them that a number of the big-Buick attributes were incorporated into the Verano. To a large extent, they were correct, though the Lacrosse, not surprisingly, has a notably smoother ride over bumps. I owned a Verano myself for five years....so I know that car pretty well inside and out.

Oh.....and I forgot one of the other pro-athlete Buick ads...the one with Peyton Manning. ;)