Hyundai Motor Group no No. 3 automaker in sales volume | More fires

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
What with ongoing reports of engine fires and now easy-to-steal, have Hyundais become disposable cars?

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
As far as I'm aware the theft issue has been resolved for new-production cars (switching to an immobilizer key so the USB-A trick no longer works) and the seize-prone Theta II engines are no longer in use. But the existing stock of cars out there with those issues will likely be a problem for Hyundai.

Reactions
As far as I'm aware the theft issue has been resolved for new-production cars (switching to an immobilizer key so the USB-A trick no longer works) and the seize-prone Theta II engines are no longer in use. But the existing stock of cars out there with those issues will likely be a problem for Hyundai.
I think the N models still have the Theta II engine like the Elantra, Kona and now departed Veloster N; the internals are likely more beefier than the regular ones that were failing, but who knows if they're any better.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Also what's going on about Hyundai employing child labour? Any new updates?

So basically they admit it was happening, won’t be working with this plant anymore and adding new checks and balances. Still wild in 2023 this happened here.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Not matter what they do or how impressive they now seem to be on the surface, I still won't touch them with a hundred foot pole. The ICE cars from Chinese car manufacturers are even crappier though, they drink fuel like crazy, aren't as quick as advertised, drive like they came out from the factory with worn out shock absorbers and have suspension bushings made from marshmallows and their reliability is still sketchy at best.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not matter what they do or how impressive they now seem to be on the surface, I still won't touch them with a hundred foot pole. The ICE cars from Chinese car manufacturers are even crappier though, they drink fuel like crazy, aren't as quick as advertised, drive like they came out from the factory with worn out shock absorbers and have suspension bushings made from marshmallows and their reliability is still sketchy at best.

I snooped around those two groups and it’s insane, The magazines all rave but the issues are glaring. Wild… these are brand new 2023’s! Imagine having your kid in the car. IMG_2601.pngIMG_2600.pngIMG_2607.png

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I snooped around those two groups and it’s insane, The magazines all rave but the issues are glaring. Wild… these are brand new 2023’s! Imagine having your kid in the car. View attachment 7002View attachment 7003View attachment 7004
The good ol' spontaneous external combustion engine, bye bye nice looking interior.

Anyways, what Hyundai, Kia and the dozens of Chinese car manufacturers have gotten really good at is making their cars seem very good on the surface to mask the shittiness that is still underneath them, their earlier cars were made fun of mainly because of how cheap they feel and how rough and unrefined they are. Now that their first impression problems have been mostly fixed, raking in sales and profits is easier than it has ever been for them, at the cost of those customers that bought them because they didn't know any better.