Honda S1000 Rumored for Production

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
honda-s660-gallery.jpg

The Honda S1000 has reportedly been green lit for production.

The all-new Honda S660 was recently launched in Japan and now there are reports that the Japanese automaker has approved a more powerful S1000 model that will be built and exported to other markets. The company has hinted numerous times that a S1000 was in the plans and it appears that it will be powered by a 1.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder VTEC engine with well over 100 hp. According to a Motoring source, Honda’s new three-cylinder turbo engines are “so hi-tech that without even trying they pump out roughly 60kW (80 hp).”

That’s not all, as rumors suggest that Honda is planning a S660 Type R model that will take its current powerplant and push it to around 100 hp. Unfortunately don’t expect the hotter model to make an appearance until mid-to-late 2016 and even then, it isn’t likely to come to the U.S. Now if a S1000 makes it to North America then there might be a reason to get excited.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ay&utm_source=relatedscout&utm_content=title1

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Although there are some significant differences, won't this basically compete with its own brother CR-Z?

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Although there are some significant differences, won't this basically compete with its own brother CR-Z?

The CR-Z is in its final days. Discontinued in Europe and dismal sales in N. America paint a bad picture for it. The S660/1000 may actually replace it is my guess.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The CR-Z is in its final days. Discontinued in Europe and dismal sales in N. America paint a bad picture for it. The S660/1000 may actually replace it is my guess.

Yes.....still in the U.S., but future looks shaky (and competition from the S1000 sure won't help). A shame, too.....all they would have had to do with the CR-Z was toss that wimpy hybrid drivetrain and do a gas-engine Si version, and it would have sold like hotcakes, just like the CRX Si did 25 years ago. Auto marketers sometimes amaze me with the way they ignore things that stare at them right in the face.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
Yes.....still in the U.S., but future looks shaky (and competition from the S1000 sure won't help). A shame, too.....all they would have had to do with the CR-Z was toss that wimpy hybrid drivetrain and do a gas-engine Si version, and it would have sold like hotcakes, just like the CRX Si did 25 years ago. Auto marketers sometimes amaze me with the way they ignore things that stare at them right in the face.

Was a young teen when the CRX Si was around. It had a strong following with that "Honda magic" which also reflected in the Acura products (Integra, Legend) back in the late 80s well into the 90s. When the Del-Sol came out replacing the CRX though, it did not have the same intangible appeal as the last '92 CRX. There's hope this S model could bring this sparkle back!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Was a young teen when the CRX Si was around. It had a strong following with that "Honda magic" which also reflected in the Acura products (Integra, Legend) back in the late 80s well into the 90s. When the Del-Sol came out replacing the CRX though, it did not have the same intangible appeal as the last '92 CRX. There's hope this S model could bring this sparkle back!

I agree that this new S model has some hope.

The Del Sol failed for a reason. Honda had very little experience with that type of open-top vehicle, as miles built up, its body squeaked, rattled, twisted, and leaked from the cowl flex. It had very little space to carry anything, especially compared to the CRX and Miata, and, overall, just wasn't that well-designed.