Here's the first real, production Tesla Model 3

supra93

Expert
Reactions
http://www.businessinsider.com/first-model-3-delivery-pictures-elon-musk-2017-7

The first production Tesla Model 3 is built and ready to roll, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said on Saturday. Musk shared pictures of the car, the company's first mass-market electric vehicle, on Twitter.

This particular Model 3 belongs to Musk, who teased photos of the car earlier Saturday afternoon: "Production unit 1 of Model 3 is now built and going through final checkout. Pics soon."

The customer who placed the first deposit on the Model 3 apparently gave his spot to Musk, the CEO said on Twitter: "Ira Ehrenpreis had rights to 1st car as he was 1st to place a full deposit, but gave those rights to me as my 46th bday present. Tks Ira!"

About 30 Model 3s will be delivered to customers on July 28. Tesla said it would produce another 1,500 cars in September, and grow to about 20,000 cars per month by December.

Tesla unveiled the Model 3 in March last year and began taking $1,000 deposits for the car shortly after. Within a week, the electric-car company had racked up 325,000 pre-orders.

At the time, Tesla said the aggregate value of the pre-orders equaled about $14 billion in future sales. The company has taken some 400,000 pre-orders since then.

DERHYrbW0AAtBFB.jpg

DEQ-ZHkWAAAzvuZ.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Not sure why, but I feel like the Model S is the only car where they've gotten the greenhouse right. This looks a little too big and the Model X is simply hideous.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Agreed, the Model S is gorgeous (or was before they revised the front end, IMO), but the X is weird and this is close but not quite right. That said I've seen a photo of a white Model 3 with the black pano roof that was sharp. If it had also had black rims it would've been killer.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not sure why, but I feel like the Model S is the only car where they've gotten the greenhouse right. This looks a little too big and the Model X is simply hideous.

Agreed with you and Ian. I think a ton of why the Model S sold so well is that it looks fantastic. Maybe not the new face but the proportions are excellent. Since then its been egg city but the sake of space I guess.

The hype this car has is crazy, tons of people have deposits on it. Nothing in this class can say the same (when I say class, I mean this price point)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well, it's about TIME that they got the ball rolling on this car. The number of buyers, with deposits, that have been waiting for it for the better part of two years is, IMO, simply unacceptable. Even Porsche Boxster customers, who had to sometimes wait more than a year for the original 1997-98 models they ordered, got better treatment.

Ian Schmidt said:
but the X is weird and this is close but not quite right

It actually looks like a somewhat downsized version of the cab-forward styling we saw with the large 90s-vintage Chrysler LH cars and the smaller Dodge Neon. Cab-forward, of course, means that the base of the windshield is stretched forward, partly over the front wheels, instead of behind them, for more interior and front-seat space. It helps with roominess inside, but, I agree, doesn't do much for exterior styling.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Someone on Twitter pointed out that the Model 3 in a strict side view is almost indistinguishable from the 2017 Mazda 3. Now I understand why it seemed familiar.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
A lot of people getting deposits back now on this. Perhaps buyer's remorse. So far styling-wise Tesla to me is a one-hit wonder. Aside from the Tesla S, they haven't made anything else production-wise that's really attractive in exterior looks. That's excluding any discussions of their interiors, which I personally can't stand.

Fancy doors or not, when I see the Model X on the roads it looks like a minivan.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Musk Confirms Tesla Model 3 Has 50 kWh And 75 kWh Batteries

Following an EPA leak on Monday, Elon Musk has confirmed that the Model 3ships with either a 50-kWh battery or a 75-kWh battery.

Electrek reports. By comparison, the EPA estimated the Long Range model would have an 80.5-kWh battery pack, despite Musk previously revealing nothing over 75-kWh could fit in the sedan.

Keeping battery capacity of the Model 3 secret for so long represents a significant change for the automaker where all its Model S and Model X vehicles denote the battery size in the name (e.g. Model S 100D). The Drive asserts that this is just one example of Tesla aiming to simplify its range and charge ahead with production.

Interestingly, Model 3 production is initially focusing on building the Long Range model before construction starts of the more affordable variant. Next year, a dual motor and performance-focused Model 3 will be launched.

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/08/musk-confirms-tesla-model-3-has-50-kwh.html