Great Read: How Audi Became a Tier 1 Brand

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
a171762-large-1.jpg

Audi was, even very recently, seen as a near-luxury brand, on par with niche if specific European automakers like Saab and Volvo. But early in the 21st century, the four-ringed circus from Ingolstadt found a way to elevate itself to the level of its aspirational German rivals at Mercedes and BMW. While these brands were immersed in what we like to refer to as their Baroquecoco Period – a moment in which the exteriors of their cars gained bulges and, ahem, bangles, and their interiors failed to keep pace with the march of technology – Audi kept it simple.

Its designs avoided the imperious Faberge gilding of Benz, or the Ghery-esque swoop and swoon of Bimmer. Instead, they were clean inside and out, with simple and elegant lines, comprehensible ergonomics, and subtle new signatures that were recognizable without being in any way overwrought. Customers, alienated by their rivals, flocked. Sales rocketed. And Audi became known as a formal/functional design leader – the Mid-Century Modern Architecture of the luxury vehicle world.

But now BMW and Mercedes have taken note and corrected course. Both brands have discarded their dalliance with carbuncularity and are now, debatably, near the top of their game design-wise. Benz is delivering handsome stolidity not seen since the Bruno Sacco era of the Seventies and Eighties, and BMW has regained a grip on the kind of elegant sportiness characterized by Paul Bracq during the same time period. And the interiors of both brands are consistently on a level of craftsmanship, attention to detail, delight, and material selection and innovation once reserved for Bentley and Rolls.

This puts Audi in something of a design double-bind. First, its transaction price has escalated to the point where it lives in the same set as BMW and Mercedes. But now that those brands have caught up with (or perhaps even surpassed) the crisp Auto Union sensibility, how does it differentiate itself?

"You have to have a clear design theme," says Frank Lamberty, Audi's exterior design director. "We define this as Quattro, because this is unique for Audi, this is our tradition. And Quattro means we have all the wheels powered, so we want to show that in our design. And this is different from a rear-wheel-drive car. We are coming from a front-wheel-drive platform, so everything is more balanced. Everything is in the middle, rather than leaned back. That is a clear proportion thing. And secondly, it's about pronouncing the wheels."

Beyond this, given that the brand made a name for itself based on a conservative sensibility, there is the concern that it has painted itself into a rounded corner of sorts, denying options or opportunities for more significant change. This can leave the limiting impression that new cars are barely distinguishable from their (undeniably handsome) predecessors save the slightest evolutionary details.

audi-rs5-03-2.jpg

"It depends on the car you're talking about," Lamberty says. "If you have a strong design sense like on the A5 it can be liberating. On something like the A4, it's a little harder. We're in the middle class with these cars, not the high luxury. But that B9 A4, it's a quiet, clean car. Don't tell me it's boring, it's clean. If you do a clean car, the design has to be really clear and really defined."

Also key is the importance of family resemblance in enunciating a brand's equities. While BMW and Benz are perhaps just as guilty of this, the sedan offerings from Ingolstadt are almost indistinguishable save their S, M, L, XL sizing. We're compulsive, so we appreciate a consistent identity, but we also wonder if there should be some visible benefit to purchasing an A6 over an A4.

"That is a point every sporting company has," Lamberty says. "It's a point of the heritage. And you're right, after a while, it starts to show a similarity – turning a circle. This is what we want to change. We want to give the sign in our design that, first, it's an Audi. But we want to give each car family a character. I think the A4 has a totally different identity than the A5. But it's clearly Audi, it's clearly Quattro."

One area in which Audi has excelled as a point of differentiation in recent years is in interior detailing. In fact, we would posit that Audi has done more to realistically reimagine the interior for the 21st century than most other brands. This was evidenced first in its innovative scribble-able touchpad from some years back, but has moved on to features like its purely – and adaptable – amorphous full-color LCD dash, Virtual Cockpit, first revealed on the third-generation TT sports coupe and now filtering down throughout the range, and also in the cool HVAC adjustment controls integrated into the vents of that vehicle. Layers of capacitive and touch-centric tablet-like surfaces have appeared on recent Audi concepts like the Q8 crossover coupe. But as a Tower of Babel-like information overload creeps from our smartphones into our cars, we wonder how the rational thinkers at Audi plan to help us decipher it.

a171757-large-1.jpg

"One thing is clear: you can't turn back that information. You're talking about autonomous, everything, it will make your head explode," Lamberty says. "We try in our decisions not to get into an overflow situation, we try to get back into the clean. Take a look at the Q8 interior, that's where we would like to go to. We would like to keep everything clean and reduced, keep dealing with information by dividing screens up, keeping functions separate. There are new tasks coming along, and that means we have to find new solutions and that's always a big change. I can tell you the engineers have some amazing solutions that you will see very soon. It's not a joke. It is quite serious."

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/11/audi-design-interview-frank-lamberty/#slide-4695360

mikeavelli

Reactions
I almost think more of Audi being a great example of not giving a **** for 20 years then finally saying "lets figure this out". Because after the entire 60 minutes thing it just seemed they were here to be here. Obviously Pierch's fanatical demands worked and we all have to admit it was led with styling BUT they also debuted new engines, new tech, killer interiors, the R8 and continued with a product onslaught. All while expanding their S/RS line. With some sensational marketing. Hell of a combo.

I've used them many times in meetings on how to do things right. Its been amazing for us here to watch it happen right before my eyes. I still vividly remember seeing my first A/S5 with its LED's blazing and big grill coming behind my ass in my GS. I still remember seeing my first R8 like "hot damn". Their ad campaigns were all mostly done very well, hip and got people talking. I'll never forget working sales numbers and seeing Audi pass Acura, which was unheard of just ten years ago. Now I doubt Acura every catches up in sales.

In addition I've been lucky enough to know a few mid to high level guys there as well as work with some dealerships and they get it. Always very polite, receptive and brilliant to talk too. Except Primus... (hahahahahhaha j/k) The Vossen S8 is my favorite flagship to drive. Absolutely amazing.

Their struggle now is not unusual. You can't grow forever and when your styling is a hit its hard to evolve it without pissing people off. Either it will be too much or too little.

Either way anyone remotely called an enthusiast has to tip their hat to them. Its been a breathtaking transformation.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
One thing left out in the article was that Audi (apparently) was not as affected by the diesel-scandal as much as its parent VW, though, of course, it did put the brakes on American-market diesel-sales.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I almost think more of Audi being a great example of not giving a **** for 20 years then finally saying "lets figure this out".

Audi has been doing well-detailed, well-crafted interiors for the better part of the last 20 years. The fine detail we (still) see in them today, and the mirror-like paint-jobs, is certainly nothing new. What failed, in their cars, for a number of years, was electrical reliability....something that also plagued rivals Mercedes and BMW. But now, according to Consumer Reports, even that seems to be rapidly improving if you look at the recent reliability ratings.

Reactions
Audi gave him a big promotion by poaching him from Lexus...now the COO of the brand and will become in charge of Bentley in a month and a half
Small-62-MarkDelRosso%20%282%29.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^I worked with Mark briefly when he was at Lexus. Great guy - everyone who worked with him had tons of respect for his abilities and leadership style. He was a great snag for VWAG.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
One interesting thing I've noticed about Audi in the real world is that the mid-range (A4/A5) stuff is common, but I've never seen an A8 or S8 in the wild, whereas I see S Class, LS, and 7 Series daily. And I think that's in part due to what I've noted before and what they mentioned in the article: it's hard to differentiate their models. There's no status in driving an A8 if nobody can tell it's not an A4.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
One interesting thing I've noticed about Audi in the real world is that the mid-range (A4/A5) stuff is common, but I've never seen an A8 or S8 in the wild, whereas I see S Class, LS, and 7 Series daily. And I think that's in part due to what I've noted before and what they mentioned in the article: it's hard to differentiate their models. There's no status in driving an A8 if nobody can tell it's not an A4.

This, though, is where potential buyers need to do their homework, and not rely on just image or status. The A8 offers a lot more than just cookie-cutter A4/A6 looks. Its structure is all-aluminum for light weight and responsiveness (though requiring, in some instances, special certified body shops for accident repair). The Quattro AWD system is one of the best and most thoroughly-engineered AWD systems available. Its interior is one of the best and most finely-crafted in its class (something that Audi, as a brand, is known for). And, from what I have seen here in the D.C. area, Audi dealerships are classy places, and have excellent facilities (one rather old and run-down Audi shop in the area closed up because it simply couldn't compete with the other nicer dealerships.

Reactions
This, though, is where potential buyers need to do their homework, and not rely on just image or status. The A8 offers a lot more than just cookie-cutter A4/A6 looks. Its structure is all-aluminum for light weight and responsiveness (though requiring, in some instances, special certified body shops for accident repair). The Quattro AWD system is one of the best and most thoroughly-engineered AWD systems available. Its interior is one of the best and most finely-crafted in its class (something that Audi, as a brand, is known for). And, from what I have seen here in the D.C. area, Audi dealerships are classy places, and have excellent facilities (one rather old and run-down Audi shop in the area closed up because it simply couldn't compete with the other nicer dealerships.

The A8 has never sold well.

The problem is two fold: First, Audis are still FWD based, which means the A8 has FWD proportions, with long front overhang and short axle-to-dash distance. It looks like a big Passat. This may be accepted in an A4 or even A6, but A8 is a high end segment.

Second, Audi interiors are very very sterile. They are technical, cold, black. They are well made with nice materials, but luxury and comfort are not the first words that come to mind.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

The problem is two fold: First, Audis are still FWD based, which means the A8 has FWD proportions, with long front overhang and short axle-to-dash distance. It looks like a big Passat. This may be accepted in an A4 or even A6, but A8 is a high end segment.

Second, Audi interiors are very very sterile. They are technical, cold, black. They are well made with nice materials, but luxury and comfort are not the first words that come to mind.

Mr. Burns - nice to see you over here on Lexus Enthusiast... been a while! (I was MPLexus301 on Club Lexus).

mikeavelli

Reactions

They sell in low numbers always have, relatively to the other Germans and LS....400 a month usually... Most people that actually know about the S8 think its pretty cool, its rarer in Miami than a Ferrari but quite the margin....

To your latter point, I'm sure its familiar styling won't attract many new customers.

I don't think they look FWD at all. Audi has done a masterful job giving them proper luxury proportions. Unlike say Acura. I drive a S8 quite a bit and its utterly fantastic..The interior is efficient, not sterile IMO.

Audi_S8_CG-205_4bc97023.jpg

Audi_S8_LC-106T_6745be13.jpg

Audi_S8_LC-106T_affcef17.jpg

Here is my short clip of the Vossen S8...honestly I would buy and drive this car in a heartbeat. They depreciate fast a used one is 70k which is a steal since they are 120-130k new. Loaded I've seen one for 150k! (carbon ceramics etc).

Here is the 2016 which is now a PLus and adds nearly 100hp....also more interior options (you can always custom order it)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Though I generally don't consider cars in that price-range, if I did, I'd buy or lease an A8 before either of its 7-Series or S-class rivals. Though its ride-comfort may not be quite the equal of the S550's silkiness, IMO it is better-built, has nicer interior materials, better-designed controls, and a more proven Quattro AWD system.