GM Considering Feasibility of a Buick Regal Wagon.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Buick is already going to introduce an all-new, Opel-based Cascada convertible next year, bases on the same platform that the Verano and Opel Astra use. Now, there are also tentative plans to introduce a Regal Wagon, based on the Opel Insignia / Regal sedan platform. Since the Regal already offers AWD, I could see a possible GM competitor to Subaru or Audi, though more along the lines of the Subaru Legacy and Audi A4 Avant wagons rather than the higher-stance Subaru Outback and Audi All-Road.

While not a bad-looking car by any means, I personally don't think it has the smart-looking lines of the now-discontinued Cadillac CTS Sportwagon...and certainly nothing like the CTS's engines.

And, Come on......no portholes? They're slipping LOL. :D

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/12/poll-would-you-like-to-see-a-buick-regal-wagon/

c83ce1b3583366e4d706e4522099e4d1.jpg

Earlier this week, we uncovered that General Motors filed a trademark application for REGAL TOURX, whetting the appetites of wagon lovers all over North America that Buick will (finally) introduce a wagon version of its Regal midsizer. But the question remains whether or not such a vehicle would pique the interests of car buyers at large.

If introduced, it’s extremely likely that a Regal wagon will be a rebadged version of the second-generation Opel-Vauxhall Insignia Sports Tourer (first-generation pictured above), while the sedan version of the second-gen Insignia will become the 2017 Buick Regal sedan.

Back to the matter at hand: a Regal wagon would fill a niche abandoned by the likes of the Acura TSX Wagon and indirectly by GM’s own Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon. On the other, a wagon does not carry the sexiest of associations in the U.S., which could be problematic for a brand attempting to recreate its image.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think for it to remotely succeed it will need to offer a GXP or higher hp variant, something to separate it from their SUVs. Until recently I didn't really understand the wagon market but now its pretty crystal clear. Some people WILL NOT buy anything else, there is a niche for them and many are clamoring for different options. Acura failed most recently with the fwd 201hp TSX and a decade earlier the IS sport cross didn't catch on at all especially compared to the new RX 300 at the time.

Not sure if the Buick customer is though with them bringing a SUV below the Enclave.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Interesting possibility, but wouldn't expect much sales volume in US (versus a mid-sized SUV).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Acura failed most recently with the fwd 201hp TSX and a decade earlier the IS sport cross didn't catch on at all especially compared to the new RX 300 at the time.

Both of those wagons, IMO, shot themselves in the foot because they didn't offer AWD. If one looks looks at the most successful modern wagons in the American market (Outback, Forester, XC-70, Venza, Taurus X, 3-Series, etc....) the most common thread among them is AWD...or at least offering it as an option.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Most wagons that are somewhat successful in the USA are marketed as crossovers, and have higher ground clearance than sedans. True wagons simply do not sell here.

But even these "crosswagons" (a term that I just coined) are not always popular. For instance Honda did such a lousy job with the Crossturd that they are now discontinuing it. Toyota didn't do very well with the Venza either and it is also discontinued.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Most wagons that are somewhat successful in the USA are marketed as crossovers, and have higher ground clearance than sedans. True wagons simply do not sell here.

But even these "crosswagons" (a term that I just coined) are not always popular. For instance Honda did such a lousy job with the Crossturd that they are now discontinuing it. Toyota didn't do very well with the Venza either and it is also discontinued.

Agreed that the Crosstour (I prefer not to use vulgar terms) was poorly-done....they should have used the much better-looking and more practical Acura TSX Sportwagon body style. (though the TSX wagon didn't have a V6, AWD, or high ground clearance). The Regal, though, does offer AWD, though I don't see any sign that the wagon version will have Outback style added ground clearance.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Agreed that the Crosstour (I prefer not to use vulgar terms) was poorly-done....they should have used the much better-looking and more practical Acura TSX Sportwagon body style. (though the TSX wagon didn't have a V6, AWD, or high ground clearance). The Regal, though, does offer AWD, though I don't see any sign that the wagon version will have Outback style added ground clearance.

Compare the last gen X1 and 3 series wagon. The X1 is far more popular in the US, but they are riding on the same platform, with the only practical difference being 4" lift on the X1, therefore it being marketed as a crossover. It goes to say that wagons just don't sell here in the US, and if that wasn't bad enough, being a Buick only adds insult to the injury. If they build it, they'll sell about 12 of them.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
and if that wasn't bad enough, being a Buick only adds insult to the injury.

The key is, most of today's smaller and mid-size Buicks aren't Buicks. They are actually rebadged German Opel Vehicles with GM drivetrains and a lot of sound insulation.....and basically drive like it. Those who expect them to drive with the float and softness of yesterday's Grandpa Buicks are in for a suprise. ;)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Gotta laugh at this statement: "On the other, a wagon does not carry the sexiest of associations in the U.S., which could be problematic for a brand attempting to recreate its image.".

Watching Buick TV ads, they constantly mention the "old grandpa" stereotype/image rather than telling us anything good about the cars. Although one exception is when they boasted about the built-in Wi-Fi in one of its cars. What Buick has accomplished with it's American advertising is perpetuating the old stereotype/image, rather than "recreating its image". Maybe Buick needs a new advertising agency, instead of slow-selling fuddy-duddy station wagon.

I

mikeavelli

Reactions
Both of those wagons, IMO, shot themselves in the foot because they didn't offer AWD. If one looks looks at the most successful modern wagons in the American market (Outback, Forester, XC-70, Venza, Taurus X, 3-Series, etc....) the most common thread among them is AWD...or at least offering it as an option.

That is a good point about offering AWD.....

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Gotta laugh at this statement: "On the other, a wagon does not carry the sexiest of associations in the U.S., which could be problematic for a brand attempting to recreate its image.".

Watching Buick TV ads, they constantly mention the "old grandpa" stereotype/image rather than telling us anything good about the cars. Although one exception is when they boasted about the built-in Wi-Fi in one of its cars. What Buick has accomplished with it's American advertising is perpetuating the old stereotype/image, rather than "recreating its image". Maybe Buick needs a new advertising agency, instead of slow-selling fuddy-duddy station wagon.

IMO, though, people who form their automotive opinions from ads are probably being naive to start with. Probably the most "honest" person I ever saw in a car ad was Joe Isuzu LOL. :D

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
IMO, though, people who form their automotive opinions from ads are probably being naive to start with. Probably the most "honest" person I ever saw in a TV ad was Joe Isuzu LOL. :D

Sadly the Buick ads just reinforce the tired old opinions already entrenched, poor job by advertising agencies employed. Maybe they are thinking they are still in the Joe Isuzu era, lol.

It would be nice if they presented some automotive facts in a stylish way, assuming they have some competitive advantages worth noting (yeah, that might be difficult).

More on topic, this wagon will not be cheap. Agreed, AWD needs to be an option at least especially in this price range.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
474591.jpg

Yeah, that old Shaq ad has been out for a while. Notice what that so-called "stretch-out" room really is....the seat and his upper torso raked back so his head clears the roof, his butt slid forward on the bottom cushion increasing the rake-angle, and his two knees side-straddling the steering wheel because they have nowhere else to go (it looks like me inside a Miata LOL):D.

I'm not necessarily blaming Buick here more so than any other automaker.....all companies exaggerate somewhat in their ads. Buick is no exception. That was a funny line, though, that he got in about his shoe being bigger than most hybrids...an obvious cut at the Honda Insight and the small Toyota Prius C.

(Just for the record, I wear a Men's-size-15 shoe myself...probably not a much smaller shoe than his. As you know, Mike, I often refer to that in reviews when I describe heel-and-toe'ing on the pedals or the ease of gas-to-brake transitions without hang-ups).

Last edited: