Genesis fighting with the state of Louisiana over future sales.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Hyundai's upmarket Genesis division is currently in a conflict with the state of Louisiana (and some of its own dealers) over the right of the division to sell in the state, and its dealer-count.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170731/RETAIL07/170739948/genesis-dealers-tripped-up-louisiana

Genesis has suspended vehicle sales, service and marketing in Louisiana indefinitely, citing word from the state's Motor Vehicle Commission that Hyundai Motor America was not properly licensed to sell the luxury brand's vehicles in the state.

The move sets up a battle between Genesis and its Louisiana dealers over whether this amounts to a breach of contract by the automaker. It also could have nationwide implications if other states' licensing requirements trip up Genesis, which Hyundai created in 2015 as a separate luxury company and brand, without setting up a separate U.S. sales channel.

At least one dealer involved is concerned that Hyundai Motor America may welcome the news because the result could be advancing Genesis' goal of reducing its dealership count nationwide.

The problem arose in June when Genesis General Manager Erwin Raphael told Louisiana dealers during a conference call that Genesis' business model was changing and as a result, just two points in the state — reserved for Baton Rouge and New Orleans — would sell the brand, down from 13.

An account of the call was provided to Automotive News by Ryan Navarre, president of Billy Navarre Hyundai of Lake Charles, who was on the call, and Claude Reynaud, Louisiana Automobile Dealers Association general counsel, who was briefed by two other dealers on the call.

The move would have given the culled stores 30 days to remove signage, suspend marketing and sales and stop taking service orders from Genesis customers.

Dealers on the call balked at the idea, according to Navarre, having spent tens of thousands of dollars to improve sales and service areas to Genesis' standards — and previously to Equus standards to be eligible to sell what was then the Hyundai brand's top-line car — and because of customers who would be left in the lurch.

Besides, Reynaud said, the proposal wasn't legal.

Genesis could have wiped the slate clean and pulled out of Louisiana altogether, after settling with each affected dealer.

"The difference here is they're talking about retaining two dealers, so what they're doing is treating the dealers differently, and that is strictly forbidden by our law," Reynaud told Automotive News.

Genesis' desire to reduce its 352-dealer count is no secret. "I definitely want to get below 300," Raphael told Automotive News in August 2016. The automaker cites Lexus, which has about 237, as an enviable target.

Click on the image to enlarge

License issue

Several weeks after the conference call, the situation took another turn, one with a potentially far-reaching impact and cost for Genesis and Hyundai Motor America nationwide.

On July 20, Raphael sent a letter to Genesis stores in Louisiana notifying dealers that the automaker was immediately halting the shipment of Genesis vehicles to the state. The letter cited the company's lack of a license to sell Genesis vehicles in the state as the reason.

H3-170739948.jpg&MaxW=200

Fitzgerald: Fast pace lead to "an oversight."
This was the result of Hyundai Motor America moving quickly to set up the brand, according to Genesis' global head, Manfred Fitzgerald.

"Everything happened at a fast pace," Fitzgerald told Automotive News. "I think it was an oversight."

Yet Hyundai Motor America has known of the situation for at least 10 months, according to a company spokesman. Genesis is looking into other states where it may also be improperly licensed to sell vehicles.

Hyundai Motor America didn't make Raphael or other executives available to comment last week. In a statement, the company said, "Genesis respects the concerns of the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission and is taking all necessary steps so Genesis sales can resume in the state."

In the July 20 letter, a copy of which Automotive News obtained, Raphael alerted the dealers that they would hear separately from the Motor Vehicle Commission about the dealerships' lack of an appropriate license. In Louisiana, automakers and dealers need state licenses to add a brand.

The Motor Vehicle Commission's letter went out a day later. It summoned dealers to an informal conference with the commission in September ahead of a formal hearing scheduled for November, and gave them 10 days to file a written reply and avoid a default judgment. The commission didn't respond to multiple requests for comment last week.

In the meantime, many affected Louisiana dealers are considering legal action against Genesis to recoup costs associated with floorplanning interest charges on the vehicles they are prohibited from selling as well as lost service income.

Raphael, in his letter to dealers, pledged to address the problem. "HMA recognizes its responsibilities in that regard and intends to address them," he wrote.

Because Hyundai Motor America had been shipping vehicles to Louisiana and allowing them to be sold by dealers without proper licensing, the fallout could get costlier for the automaker.

If the Motor Vehicle Commission "considers this an egregious action on the part of Hyundai, it could be a large fine in the realm of large fines," Reynaud said, adding that Genesis could be forced to pay from $10,000 to seven figures to the state.

Liability to dealers is another matter.

"Having said they're a manufacturer and not having their license, that's a breach of contract," Reynaud said.

"In addition to everything else, that could be a civil suit, not just an action before the Motor Vehicle Commission."

Navarre, for his part, sees a more sinister motive behind Genesis' actions. With dealers facing potential Motor Vehicle Commission fines and legal costs for challenging the Louisiana ruling and Hyundai Motor America, "my opinion is that dealers will start saying 'These legal bills are so high so I'm just going to back off,' " Navarre said.

"They'll either take some small settlement [from Genesis] and lose money on it or just get tired of fighting it."

'Mind-blowing'

The end result would be Genesis reducing its dealer network — just as it has wanted, Navarre said. "It's mind-blowing," he said. "I've never seen anything like this in 25 years."

Fitzgerald said, "Right now we are examining the dealer body with an eye toward optimizing it in the future," but said the licensing debacle was all a misunderstanding on Genesis' part.

"I don't think there was any intent behind it," he said.

Hyundai Motor America's statement called Genesis' store-within-a-store a "temporary arrangement," adding that a process to develop a distinct Genesis dealer body is "underway and will unfold in stages."

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Not surprised.

Also did anyone notice Hyundai July USA sales dropped off a cliff? Hyundai claims it is due to lower fleet sales, but I'm sure that's not the only reason. A bit off-topic, but Subaru actually outsold the Hyundai brand in the US in July.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Not surprised.

Also did anyone notice Hyundai July USA sales dropped off a cliff? Hyundai claims it is due to lower fleet sales, but I'm sure that's not the only reason. A bit off-topic, but Subaru actually outsold the Hyundai brand in the US in July.

Suburu has been on a roll for ages and I don't know anyone with one. Crazy.

Reactions: CIF

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I also had a WRX TR for a couple of years after my first Lexus IS met its untimely demise and right before I got the Miata.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Most roll on Rotas, eh? :D:laughing:
:joy::laughing: You got that right! When I had the WRX, it coincided with my autocrossing days, and I fell in with a crowd of mostly Subaru-driving fellow autocrossers. There was a particular set of pink Rotas (!) that were passed around at least 3 separate owners... :eek:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Good article that gives a hint of how screwed up Genesis branding is currently combined with dealing with whining dealership franchises as number of Genesis sales locations are reduced (since customer preference dictates separate showrooms).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Good article that gives a hint of how screwed up Genesis branding is currently combined with dealing with whining dealership franchises as number of Genesis sales locations are reduced (since customer preference dictates separate showrooms).

I myself couldn't care less if the brand of car I want (premium brand or not) is sold alongside other brands. But I recognize that image and status is indeed important to some people. That's one of the things that seems to be impacting on both Lincoln and Genesis sales...and, in some cases, Cadillac. BMWs used to be sold alongside Minis, but, now, more Mini shops are moving into separate dealerships...as with the Mini Countryman I reviewed not long ago.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I myself couldn't care less if the brand of car I want (premium brand or not) is sold alongside other brands. But I recognize that image and status is indeed important to some people. That's one of the things that seems to be impacting on both Lincoln and Genesis sales...and, in some cases, Cadillac..

And even more important (than image and prestige as it relates to this dealership topic here) is the premium brand excellent customer service experience expectation. Lexus has shown us what that level of customer service looks like, not that the whining existing Hyundai franchises care.

Reactions: CIF