Favorite Hotels|Resorts

mikeavelli

Reactions
I hope some of you chime in on favorite locations to stay around the world. One that stands out to me is when we (Vossen) stayed at the Conrad hotel in Tokyo. The views over the park and water were amazing and the bar/lounge area was dope. In Japan heated toilet seats are the norm but in our suite the bathroom tiles were heated as well with a tv in the shower area. I'll never forget leaving the last day and there was an original Mercedes Gullwing parked outside!

The hotel is part of the Tokyo Shiodome Building.

1235351_149_z.jpg

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Perhaps because they are relatively close by, and one doesn't have to travel very far from D.C., two relatively nearby places impress me........on the Easternmost Ridge of the Appalachians, Shenandoah National Park / Skyline Drive in the Blue Ridge Mountains, where you can stay at the Skyland/Big Meadows Lodge on the mountaintop, and, northwestward across the Appalachians to the westernmost ridge, the Summit Inn high above Uniontown, PA, on the top of Mount Summit (Chestnut Ridge). The Summit Inn is open during the warmer months, and features nice lodging, a great dining facility, and a golf course on top of the mountain.

DSC07633.JPG

skyland.jpg

a6522a5c17fb3123ad9a4baf593f5b2a.jpg

summit-inn-resort-restaurant.jpg

vlcsnap-138873.png

That descent down Chestnut Ridge, BTW, (U.S. 40 West), is something else......three and a half miles at an average 10% grade. It is especially dangerous for heavy trucks....with an emergency runaway truck ramp about three-quarters of the way down.

Decades ago, many automakers in the U.S., especially those in the East and Midwest, tested their new engines, transmissions, brakes, and cooling systems on this specific hill. It was considered one of the hardest tests that a car would have to go through in service.

1133492639_summit1.jpg

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Half Moon Bay Ritz was a pleasant place to spend a weekend in January 2014. Lovely sports car roads to/from and only 90 minutes from home. Once you are there the service is top notch. And the hiking trails and access to beach was better than I expected. Ritz_HalfMoonBay.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Half Moon Bay Ritz was a pleasant place to spend a weekend in January 2014. Lovely sports car roads to/from and only 90 minutes from home. Once you are there the service is top notch. And the hiking trails and access to beach was better than I expected. View attachment 517

Probably close to the Pacific Coast Highway, right? In the Western U.S, hard to beat that road for scenery and a sports-car experience. That's why they often use it for car ads.

I once, briefly, lived in Monterey, near Half-Moon Bay, many years ago. I was quite young, but still can remember the view along the Pacific Coast. Beautiful.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Probably close to the Pacific Coast Highway, right? In the Western U.S, hard to beat that road for scenery and a sports-car experience. That's why they often use it for car ads.

I once, briefly, lived in Monterey, near Half-Moon Bay, many years ago. I was quite young, but still can remember the view along the Pacific Coast. Beautiful.

Yes, about 90 minutes north of Monterey. And the good thing, is much hasn't changed on the coast from what you remember from when you were young. The conservation/preservation efforts in these northern CA coastal areas have been effective.

From a Lexus sport sedan owners perspective, the coastal mountain roads are beautiful places to exercise the controlled handling and power. Quality driving experiences abound on some lightly traveled and reasonably maintained roads.

DoingDamage

Premium Member
Reactions
Write-up to come this week as Lexus hosted a #RCFExperience event in Atlanta and we were guests at the 5 star St. Regis hotel. The service was amazing and the hotel was beautiful.

The company I work for built the St. Regis. We've also done the 911 Museum, Trump Tower in Chicago, a bunch of residential sky scrapper in NYC.

One of the best places I stay was the Grand Hyatt in Maui. I mean, its Hawaii so you know its wonderful, but still ......

Hyatt-Regency-Maui12.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
A couple of weeks ago I stayed at the "W" Montreal, Canada right in the heart of downtown and the service was amazing the I loved the modern look. Its smaller, very cozy which is cool sometimes when you travel instead of a huge mega hotel. I was able to walk to the Bayfront and to Notre Dame Church. It is across a beautiful park as well as surrounded by train stations. I did a survey and actually got a reply from a manager thanking me and changing my profile (I wanted slippers lol).

Highly recommended!

Images are not mine but better than what I took
1115316_71_z.jpg

Lobby/Lounge

15464250.jpg

What my room looked like

47736641.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
Sorely in need of an update....stayed at the Westin Times Square last weekend...amazing service and the location cannot be beat. Jr. Suite facing the Empire State Building with the Hudson on the right was dope....

Parking tho is a PITA....

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The Breakers in Palm Beach is probably going to be the pinnacle of my hotel experiences. Sad to have peaked so young - lol.