Ex-CL Member looking for a better forum.

Reactions
ClubLexus has been dead for awhile and I'm really not into the drama anymore. Hopefully this forum will take over for what CL used to be.

Yes, welcome. Hate to hear of your distaste for CL as I'm active on both forums (much less so here though). CL does have its more difficult members to put it politely, but helpful and respectful for the most part. The crowd here is also very helpful and respectful of all. Maybe since there is no debate forum yet it keeps the focus on cars, which isn't a bad thing.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Welcome to Lexus Enthusiast, MrMark. :)

Although members here can (and do) make their automotive views and opinions known, in general, this forum is somewhat less contentious than CL. That's partly because of its much smaller size, and partly because this forum doesn't have as many controversial and/or political threads where members are likely to get into sharp or heated debates. For instance, we had only one thread about the election (very civilly posted), and that was it. We tend to stick more to vehicles and vehicle-related subjects here. The most-discussed single automotive subject here, so far, has (probably) been the VW/Audi diesel scandal.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
ClubLexus has been dead for awhile and I'm really not into the drama anymore. Hopefully this forum will take over for what CL used to be.

Welcome Mark :D You should know who this is :D ..Let us know what you need from us!

Reactions: CIF

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Yes, welcome MrMark!:blush:
Welcome to Lexus Enthusiast, MrMark. :)

Although members here can (and do) make their automotive views and opinions known, in general, this forum is somewhat less contentious than CL. That's partly because of its much smaller size, and partly because this forum doesn't have as many controversial and/or political threads where members are likely to get into sharp or heated debates. For instance, we had only one thread about the election (very civilly posted), and that was it. We tend to stick more to vehicles and vehicle-related subjects here. The most-discussed single automotive subject here, so far, has (probably) been the VW/Audi diesel scandal.

Not only the lack of political factor, but also that the most of personalities of those posting here are generally level-headed and refrain from egoism to the best of their abilities. If any of us are particularly that way, we've already taken note of the relaxed environment here and have adjusted accordingly. Very tame environment here, which I very much attribute to the staff doing a great job.

When moderators are not able to stay fair and impartial, it really does make for a less positive experience. Krew also generally approaches every topic in a very dignified manner, unlike that of non-Lexus publications such as Auto Car, Auto Express, Jalopnik, TTAC, C&D, Motor Trend. He doesn't do controversy and I like that.

I never really "left" there (cmk1), but I picked up on certain behavioural (combative) tendencies from some users on CL and the fact that the Internet Brands format is not as user-friendly as Xenforo. Similar to you, I really don't play favourites nor do I have many particularly. I try to be very objective. It's not that I like everything, but more so I don't waste my energy on things I dislike. My respect for Toyota and that of their pinnacle offerings (Lexus), plus interest in their future as an industry member is what brings me here really.

My personal issue between LE and CL is that, one can have productive discussions on the goings and happenings in this industry on this site, unlike the current environment on CL. Many of the CL users that brought to the surface, in-depth news on upcoming Lexus or Toyota products on CL, have decreased their presence or left altogether, ending up here. There is a very severe issue there in regards to lack of insight and poor news flow, which I cannot really blame CL for. Lexus Enthusiast has always been based on being a well-researched news source by comparison, not simply a forum.

Club Lexus has lost substance in regards to their bustling "Car Chat" section, which that can hopefully be reversed. Usually when any of us discuss a topic here, generally we listen to each other if the information shows itself to be of validity and not dubious. German Car Forum, a site I started posting on while in university years ago, tends to also mutually value certain kinds of progressive discussion. I "talk" the way I do, as much of my work has always concerned the "future in the present" and therefore I had to take that mindset to adapt.

LE and GCF, generally have members that care to learn and know more about the automotive industry in the sense it very much works in the future and are not as dismissive or lackadaisical towards serious discussion on that front, which so many automotive forums are guilty of. Discussion on many new or future Lexus models has been very dead in that place, which is not the case here. Outside of Lexus ownership, it can be very dead.

It is not good when it takes days or weeks to see major Lexus news show up on that forum, compared to here (LS spy shots, etc). Often what one just hears are criticisms and complaints (see LC500), not much insight. I'd say Mmarshall's reviews attempt to break up the monotony nowadays and that of the efforts of a few (namely Hoovey2411, corrado, TangoRed, etc).

There are way too many off-topic threads in place of pertinent Lexus/Toyota topics on CL and that needs to change. TL:DR effect is a real thing I know, as I realize some of us type too much (myself), but it doesn't mean things should became Jalopnik-lite.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Unfortunately, most mods and active members of CL don't drive Lexus anymore, and are more interested in complaining about everything that Lexus does than discussing. That makes it tiresome to go there. Few years back I would have made big thread in CL about new Toyota/Lexus powertrains but i feel like I would be hitting a wall there.

For instance, it feels dumb to read complaints about LC500 being "under powered" when base vehicle goes 0-60 in 4.4s. Or that hybrid is "the same" when it goes 0-60 in 4.7s, which is 1.5s faster than LS600h. I feel that a lot of people there have moved on from the brand and all they want is to post sarcastic knee-jerk reactions to affirm their view that their current car is better.

LC thread on CL just confirms all that.

Reactions
As long as TLE doesn't turn into "everything else sucks except Lexus" forum, I'm all for a Lexus focused forum that is great to auto enthusiasts in general. Seen this on some Toyota-centric forums where there's a lot of contempt for other competing brands (especially Honda), where many rebuttals to criticisms made (either good or bad) is because of the 'reliability card', and it becomes seemingly the only thing that matters and little else (Because many owners aren't really enthusiasts per se, they get 'hurt' when they see vanilla and boring mentioned).

If anything, perhaps it seems that CL hasn't grown as much as TLE has; in comparison, CL is no where the size of the forums from the other makes (ie BMW, Audi, Mercedes) given the length of time it has been in around.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL