Chinese-made Buick Envision could be exported to the U.S.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Ordinarily, I don't post articles about plants or assembly-lines in this forum, but I thought this one looked interesting from a historic point of view. Though not formalized yet, Buick is considering plans to produce the new mid-sized Envision SUV in China, which slots directly between the small Encore and large Enclave (the Buick "E"-named SUVs are almost as confusing as the alphabet soup of some other automakers), and export some of them to the American market. This, if adopted, would be somewhat historic, as it would not only represent the first Chinese-built vehicle to enter the U.S. in significant numbers, but also the first Chinese-produced vehicle from a U.S.-badged automaker as well. Not surprisingly, this is running to some snags with the UAW, who staff most of the plants where current American-market Buicks are produced. Buick, of course, is far more popular in China than it is here (the Excelle/Verano is that country's top selling vehicle), though the company's American-market appeal has also been steadily growing in recent years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...29/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-Uh.TZkVVa9DsehbDNYz6pg

Tension over General Motors' decision to consider importing Chinese-made Buicks to the USA is colliding with contract talks between the automaker and the United Auto Workers about a month before a deadline to reach a new union deal.

The UAW blasted GM on Tuesday for weighing a plan to become the first Detroit automaker to sell a Chinese-made vehicle in the USA. The Buick Envision, a compact crossover assembled at a plant southeast of Beijing, could be sold in the USA by late 2016.

The union's public statement makes the compact crossover a key bargaining chip in contract talks. UAW members are likely to vote this month on whether to authorize strikes in the event that negotiators fail to reach accords in September.

The UAW, which represents about 141,000 hourly workers at GM, Ford and Fiat Chrysler, hopes to secure the first pay raises for older members in more than a decade. Preserving jobs and securing new vehicles for U.S. plants are also top goals.

"After the sacrifices made by U.S. taxpayers and the U.S. workforce to make General Motors the profitable, quality company it is today, UAW members are disappointed with the tone-deaf speculation that the Envision would be imported from China," said Cindy Estrada, UAW's vice president in charge of GM talks.

Estrada's statement comes amid heightened political scrutiny over U.S. trade with China. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders have railed against American politicians for giving China the upper hand.
The prospect of a Chinese-made vehicle hitting U.S. showrooms could fuel the political fire engulfing conversations over American competitiveness.

The UAW's immediate priority is securing new contracts for its workers after its four-year deals expire Sept. 14. The union wants to reduce the pay gap between recent hires and longtime workers at GM, Ford and Fiat Chrysler, while preserving yearly profit-sharing checks. The automakers want to limit labor costs.

Buick spokesman Nick Richards declined to comment on the UAW's statement. Monday, he said talk of the Envision coming from China to the USA is speculation, but he acknowledged GM is "looking at all the opportunities" for the vehicle.

GM has long emphasized that its goal is to build vehicles in the regions where it sells them. That keeps transportation costs low and mitigates the impact of currency fluctuation.

The automaker is expected to sell about 129,000 Envisions in China in 2017, according to IHS Automotive forecasts. In the USA, where the vehicle would fill a crucial hole in Buick's portfolio, the company is expected to sell about 35,000 in 2017, IHS projects.

Because volume is so much higher in China, where Buick is four times more popular than in the USA, it may not make economic sense to assemble the vehicle in two different plants, analysts said.

If the crossover came to the USA, it would test consumers' willingness to accept vehicles made in China. Analysts said quality is on par with U.S.-made vehicles, and they didn't expect a backlash among consumers.

"It would be a bit of a political lightning rod, I don't think there's any doubt about that," AutoPacific analyst Dave Sullivan said. "But it's something that I think would probably be short-lived."

UAW's Estrada dubbed the reports "especially alarming" and called on GM to "stand by its declaration that it will build where it sells."

"The Envision should be made in the U.S. by the workforce that saved GM in its darkest time, and UAW members intend to address this issue in contract talks," she said.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Not sure about this. A very touchy issue politically.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Not sure about this. A very touchy issue politically.

..........Especially if Trump gets involved. He is known to like Buicks, but also is a staunch foe of the status-quo in our trade agreements with China.

One thing, though, that is not touchy is Buick's need for a mid-size SUV in the U.S. to compete with those from other premium automakers....that's pretty much a given, no matter where it is built. Buick, up until now, has had to make do with the big, plush, and relatively expensive (though still car-based) Enclave SUV, and the subcompact Encore SUV, which IMO is underpowered (1.4L turbo), bob-tailed (looking like it went halfway through a crusher at both ends), and generally unimpressive by Buick standards except for the relatively plush interior.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well yes, it's obvious several American brands sorely need a few extra models to be competitive. How they bring those models to market, and from where, is a touchy subject, especially if Trump surprises the status quo and wins the White House. In that case, Ford and GM would have some major issues (Chrysler-Fiat to a lesser extent, as they still build almost everything in the US AFAIK). If I were Ford and GM, I'd be worried, and doing a comprehensive re-evaluation of certain decisions and products.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well yes, it's obvious several American brands sorely need a few extra models to be competitive. How they bring those models to market, and from where, is a touchy subject, especially if Trump surprises the status quo and wins the White House. In that case, Ford and GM would have some major issues (Chrysler-Fiat to a lesser extent, as they still build almost everything in the US AFAIK). If I were Ford and GM, I'd be worried, and doing a comprehensive re-evaluation of certain decisions and products.

GM though, has already made one major decision.....no more Holden products, presumably because of the cost of designing and building vehicles in Australia. And Ford is transferring some small-car production to Mexico.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
GM though, has already made one major decision.....no more Holden products, presumably because of the cost of designing and building vehicles in Australia. And Ford is transferring some small-car production to Mexico.

Not really what I was referring to. If Trump comes to power, all automakers that have plants in Mexico will encounter serious problems. Not just Ford or GM, but Toyota, Honda, and I believe Hyundai/Kia if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention VW and Chrysler-Fiat I believe. I've lost track of how many major automakers have Mexican plants. I think pretty much all of them do.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Not really what I was referring to. If Trump comes to power, all automakers that have plants in Mexico will encounter serious problems. Not just Ford or GM, but Toyota, Honda, and I believe Hyundai/Kia if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention VW and Chrysler-Fiat I believe. I've lost track of how many major automakers have Mexican plants. I think pretty much all of them do.

Honda has already had serious problems at the Mexican plant where they produce the new HR-V. Auto parts were hijacked and stolen from the plant and/or trains and trucks delivering those parts...presumably for the price they bring on the Black Market.

It's doubtful (though not impossible) that we would see thievery that in Chinese plants, where the delivery system is much more tightly controlled, and where the economy in general is probably less corrupt.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Honda has already had serious problems at the Mexican plant where they produce the new HR-V. Auto parts were hijacked and stolen from the plant and/or trains and trucks delivering those parts...presumably for the price they bring on the Black Market.

It's doubtful (though not impossible) that we would see thievery that in Chinese plants, where the delivery system is much more tightly controlled, and where the economy in general is probably less corrupt.

Those are certainly related, albeit different issues.

The point is, if Trump wins, automakers will have to seriously rethink their Mexican operations.