Chevrolet Planning New CUV Between Equinox and Traverse

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Chevrolet planning new crossover between Equinox and Traverse

Chevrolet is taking a crowbar to its crossover lineup so it can slide in a new entry between the Equinox(shown) and the Traverse, according to a report in Automotive News. The current Equinox, a tweener compared to its rivals, will get smaller when the next-generation vehicle moves to the Delta platform that underpins the Chevrolet Cruze. The next Traverse will remain full-size, the liberated space between it and the smaller Equinox making room for a fourth offering from the brand.

Designed on a short-wheelbase version of the Traverse platform, AN's sources say it will offer three-row seating, and its architecture will also serve the Cadillac SRX successor, the XT5, and the redesigned GMC Acadia. Yes, the Acadia will also come down a notch in size. Once all the rationalizing is complete, the Trax, Equinox, new crossover, and Traverse would give consumers a quicker, easier way to compare size and features with the competition.

The future offering and its two- and three-row seating options would take clear aim at the Edge, Murano, Highlander and Pilot, while the Equinox could focus on the Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, and Jeep Renegade segment. The new Chevy is predicted to go on sale at the end of next year as a 2018 model.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/22/chevy-new-crossover-equinox-traverse/#slide-3332620

Not a bad idea, I think. It's funny because the RX created this midsize segment, and then everyone went below and above in terms of size, except for the Edge and Murano. Now Chevrolet wants in on the game as well. I also think it's good for the Equinox to be scaled more closely to its true competitors.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Makes sense, growth is with SUVs not sedans. Note how Nissan/Jeep/Toyota have tons of SUV offerings. Good move.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I agree. For a while, it seemed like the Edge and Murano were in no mans land with so many slotting above and below them, but I think that's actually the sweet spot (as Lexus has been enjoying for three generations of RX :D)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Agreed, mid-sized SUV replaces full-sized family sedan for many. And driving the mids you don't feel like you are driving a tug boat in suburbia, that's a real plus.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Makes sense, growth is with SUVs not sedans..

Agreed....especially in the compact and mid-size car-based SUV fields. The article doesn't specifically say it, but I'd bet that this upcoming mid-size Chevy SUV is strongly related to the existing Buick Envision, which is basically a Chinese-market model introduced last year and not (yet) sold in the U.S., though it may be offered for 2017.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I was thinking that as well, @mmcartalk. Caddy XT5, Envision and this Chevy might all be platform-mates.

Thanks.....I had forgotten to consider that.....that not just the Buick but the XT-5 might also use that platform. It would make sense, from a buisness and cost-control point of view.