Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Screenshot-2024-09-13-at-10.47.50 PM-1024x511.png

Car & Driver just wrapped up a comparison of the Land Rover Defender 130 and GX 550 Overtrail+ to determine which is best when you want to be pampered off the beaten path. Here is how C&D summarized the GX 550:
Lexus GX550 Overtrail+
HIGHS: Impressive off-road prowess, responsive chassis, no-nonsense ergonomics.
LOWS: Compact back seat, primitive ride quality, hood flutters at highway speeds.
VERDICT: A pricey trail basher in need of polishing.
I won’t spoil the outcome for you, but will mention the final rankings were very close when the winner was selected. Be sure to check out the gallery that accompanies this...

Continue reading...

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
For the fans who also care about the bottom line or just happen to work for Lexus, GX has a sales goal of 35k units and based on sales data that should be increasing soon. ATPs are lower then the Def.

Defender has a sales average of 10-15k units per annum. ATPs are higher of course.

They both are leasing poorly, finance offers non existant (5%), so its a cash game. Incentives i have no insight on defender but none basically for the GX.

GX Dealer contributions and addons, vary by market. Southern/middle america/more dollars then sense markets continue to do addons because they can, while larger, more urban areas are actually msrp or slightly less (net cost so theyre not even getting on the puff packages).

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Watching some of the discussion in the FB GX groups, pricing seems all over the place. Most of the dealers were asking $10-20k markup for the first two or three months, but now that it's been on sale for a while and car sales are slowing in general, I'm seeing most offer at MSRP. There are still a few trying to sell at markup, but it seems like that is fading out pretty quickly (or they're getting roasted).

There seems to be a number of dealers creating their own "dealer packages" with tires, wheels, wraps, PPF, etc and jacking those up to high hell. Some look pretty good actually... but you could do most of that on your own for $5-7k, not $20k.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Watching some of the discussion in the FB GX groups, pricing seems all over the place. Most of the dealers were asking $10-20k markup for the first two or three months, but now that it's been on sale for a while and car sales are slowing in general, I'm seeing most offer at MSRP. There are still a few trying to sell at markup, but it seems like that is fading out pretty quickly (or they're getting roasted).

There seems to be a number of dealers creating their own "dealer packages" with tires, wheels, wraps, PPF, etc and jacking those up to high hell. Some look pretty good actually... but you could do most of that on your own for $5-7k, not $20k.
On social media it seems a couple trends i also have been noticing:

-some areas have folks who are vocal and insist that msrp+, since they got raked over the proverbial coals and everyone was must be subject to the same punishment.
-dealers embellishing how the GX has years of waitlists, akin the to that one car media story coming out from LC300 buyers in Japan back in 2022.
-i believe Lexus may have had some regional sales restrictions in place as now dealers from opposite poles of the country are openly asking for buyers on different social media GX groups.