By the dollars: Fastest Depreciating Vehicles

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I think the earlier postings about the absurdly expensive service/repairs on S-Class models also at least partially explains it. Also, although Mercedes obviously is not responsible for what Lindsay Lohan did with her drug and alcohol stupidity, her wrecking two SL65 AMGs while driving buzzed may not help the image any, even though she was driving SLs, not the regular S-class sedans or coupes.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Thanks. :) Interesting video. I was already aware of most of the points he made, but not about the one about the brake pads being undersized so they wear out the inside of the rotors but not the edges. I'm not sure, though, that I agree with him that the rotors would have to be replaced at every brake job because of that. Even with the centers worn and the edges intact, if there is still enough metal left on the rotors, they can be put on a metal lathe, shaved down to an even surface, and reused...the minimum safe thickness for that is in the car's Repair Manual, and determined by brake engineers.

He also had a point about an 83K car depreciating down to 16K in not many years.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Note : That's a CLS, not a S-class as listed in first post here.

But yeah that car is making the poor guy unable to afford a decent haircut.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
This is why most people lease these cars. They are simply cheaper to lease new than to maintain used.

I wonder how long manufacturers can sustain those leases, that are relatively low in comparison to the depreciation. Something is telling me that its going to get a lot more expensive to lease most cars in near future.

Reactions: CIF

mikeavelli

Reactions
The thing is I don't look at a Mercedes S-class and think 'man that sure is going to lose its value" nor do I think most consumers. Obviously the S-Class is as highly revered as it comes, sells extremely well (especially when you consider its price). I would love a S63 for example even if it might lose 20k in value in a year. To me and to consumers there is more value in owning it. Lindsey Lohan driving an S-Class/SL doesn't affect S-Class/SL value. Lindsey Lohan won't drive a Hyundai Genesis as to her it is not desirable, which becomes a depreciation problem.

As for German reliability, so far from the company cars I've seen and driven, they have been quite reliable which is not what I expected. This goes for Audi, BMW, Benz and Porsche. The biggest issue was a lemon car that was returned once. To me it seems the German brands have gotten better with reliability and maybe are fighting a perception problem that they are unreliable. That is another thread lol :)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes, Those buying new S classes aren't losing much sleep over depreciation, most people would love to have that problem. And Mercedes has just strengthened market position in recent year with that car.

Outdated generalizations aside, 2015 Mercedes and Audi mainstream volume models have achieved much higher levels of reliability in last 7-8 years. And that's another thread, lol. A thread that might actually have input from actual owners (now that would be unique).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Note : That's a CLS, not a S-class as listed in first post here.

But yeah that car is making the poor guy unable to afford a decent haircut.

He may avoid a haircut, but he sure won't avoid taking a bath. :D;)

Yes, Those buying new S classes aren't losing much sleep over depreciation, most people would love to have that problem. And Mercedes has just strengthened market position in recent year with that car.

Outdated generalizations aside, 2015 Mercedes and Audi mainstream volume models have achieved much higher levels of reliability in last 7-8 years. And that's another thread, lol. A thread that might actually have input from actual owners (now that would be unique).

Well, we can assume that the guy in the video didn't own one...........for obvious reasons. ;)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
He may avoid a haircut, but he sure won't avoid taking a bath. :D;)

Well, we can assume that the guy in the video didn't own one...........for obvious reasons. ;)

He could use both a bath and a decent haircut. Yes a CLS (not the topic here) is not a S class, maybe next time...