BMW is planning to cancel the XM

Kelvin2020

Admirer
Reactions

Unfortunately their halo products never sold well. The XM should never have existed in the first place. I don't understand the purpose of creating this car. Maybe they just wanted to show that they have a halo product, but the reality is no one wants to buy it.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
BMW has done everything they could to avoid building a modern M1. They have the chassis, they have the engine, they have already made a concept car for it. They could choose to build either a super light, manual S58 targeting the Porsche GT3, or a V8 PHEV supercar like the Ferrari SF90. And now they are still trying to avoid it and instead want to build a M EV.

The 1-MW (1360PS). 2-ton, 4-motor EV will be the most generic and boring "super cars" coming in the next few years. It doesn't matter these cars accelerate to 100 km/h in 2 seconds. Everybody's following the same exact template without much variation and the only difference is the body shell. I hope Lexus can do something original with their planned super EV.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
Lexus LF high po CUV program managers feeling quite smug today after reading this news.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Good, I dont know anything about the XM, what kind of drivetrain or any other details. Its so ugly, I dont care to learn anything about it.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
BMW flagship products are always at odds with core BMW values and thus, not what high end BMW shoppers want.

Middle to lower range of their portfolio (2, 3, 4, 5 series) is appealing because they're generally good BMWs, but approaching 7 series, 8 series, or things like XM, most of those buyers would rather have a Mercedes (luxury) or Porsche (performance and panache). The only one that I'd say is exempt is X7.

S Class, Panamera > 7 Series
LC 500, 911, Panamera, AMG-GT > 8 Series
Cayenne, Range Rover, G Class, X5 M, X7 M60i > XM and iX

Reactions
BMW flagship products are always at odds with core BMW values and thus, not what high end BMW shoppers want.

Middle to lower range of their portfolio (2, 3, 4, 5 series) is appealing because they're generally good BMWs, but approaching 7 series, 8 series, or things like XM, most of those buyers would rather have a Mercedes (luxury) or Porsche (performance and panache). The only one that I'd say is exempt is X7.

S Class, Panamera > 7 Series
LC 500, 911, Panamera, AMG-GT > 8 Series
Cayenne, Range Rover, G Class, X5 M, X7 M60i > XM and iX
I wouldn't say so with the latest generation 7 Series. Even the previous generation did fine too. iX is also selling fine.

On the other hand, Mercedes-Benz/Mercedes-AMG are having a huge problem with the new SL and GT. They're not selling and they're being given away with ~40k cash on the hood.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I wouldn't say so with the latest generation 7 Series. Even the previous generation did fine too. iX is also selling fine.

On the other hand, Mercedes-Benz/Mercedes-AMG are having a huge problem with the new SL and GT. They're not selling and they're being given away with ~40k cash on the hood.
I don't know why they think "let's put a 4 cylinder in the SL it will totally be fine".

Kelvin2020

Admirer
Reactions

There is still tons of ‘23 SL at the dealership where I live, they offered 70k CAD off and still no one want to buy it.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I remember reading them saying this will battle the Urus and it was clear to me this was not battling the Urus but battling a dumpster fire. A complete detachment from reality. Calling the top version label red, when Bentley used red label? The reviews pretty much trashed this thing.

Let’s put this in full perspective. Any true M1 successor was not approved due to low sales predictions. So they built a SUV that gasp, sold poorly. Like wut?!?

We didn’t get an i8 replacement either.

And guess what that same people moved on to the M5 which now weighs more than my house.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

This generation 7 had an early bounce in sales with the redesign, but last I looked it was still being easily outsold by the S Class. I haven't looked at the figures recently - is the 7er doing better?

The iX is in pretty rough shape. I see them for $13-18k off MSRP and aggressive lease deals as well. That car is not selling well.

Reactions
This generation 7 had an early bounce in sales with the redesign, but last I looked it was still being easily outsold by the S Class. I haven't looked at the figures recently - is the 7er doing better?
From what I saw on goodcarbadcar a few weeks ago? Definitely.
The iX is in pretty rough shape. I see them for $13-18k off MSRP and aggressive lease deals as well. That car is not selling well.
That's funny because I see so many of them around. Perhaps those lease deals you're talking about is working.

mikeavelli

Reactions
From what I saw on goodcarbadcar a few weeks ago? Definitely.

That's funny because I see so many of them around. Perhaps those lease deals you're talking about is working.

I see both the 7 the gopher thing a ton too but they are giving them away in Atlanta.

Flagship1

Follower
Reactions
I see both the 7 the gopher thing a ton too but they are giving them away in Atlanta.

At night the front end light signature is eerily familiar?

1984-ford-ltd