Blacked out C/D Pillars : Lets talk about them

What do you think of blacked out C/D Pillars?

• Love it

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I can love or hate depending on the design

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Doesn't bug me either way/indifferent

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
floating roofline ... deja vu
came across this old picture of the 1990 Cutlass Supreme SL ... I bought new 26 years ago!
View attachment 1337

At one time, the Cutlass (especially the Supreme) was the top-selling car in the U.S....but that was well before the time you bought yours.

The blacked-out pillars on your Supreme (though I don't remember all of the various Cutlass trim models marketed that year, for 1990) suggest to me that it was a sport-oriented version......somewhat like the Pontiac 6000 STE and Chevy Celebrity Euro models that were offered several years earlier.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Here in Europe, Yaris especially has special editions with floating roof and of course Auris as well.

First Toyota vehicle to have it that I remember, was from 2003, Fine-N concept. There were many others after that.

fine-n_01.jpg

2016-Toyota-Yaris-Bi-Tone-rear-three-quarter-at-IAA-2015.jpg

waterskiers2

Premium Member
Reactions
I have the Ultra Luxury package (black glass roof), so the black pillars look great (IMHO) especially after I had the windows tinted with 15% ceramic film on side and rear windows. It gives it a 'complete' look that I enjoy.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
A bit off topic, but that new Odyssey, as expected, looks like a Pilot from the front, and a little bit from the rear too. Fairly ugly IMHO. The sides and rear look okay, but I think this new Odyssey looks very generic and frumpy. Interior is also very "Star Trek" looking. Honda's trend of removing the traditional shifter for buttons continues. It has some nice features, but styling-wise is a big miss IMO. Toyota has a real shot here with the next-gen Sienna to really outshine Honda in this segment.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The sides remind me of the Mazdas and oddly, a smile. The door handles are eyes and the bottom curve is a grin lol. Glad to see they finally integrated the sliding doors.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes...that's the new 2018 version that is going to be shown at Detroit this week....we probably won't see it released till next fall. The current Terrain, of course, a classic two box design...and I mean BOX. ;)

They just updated the D.C. show's list of displays. Looks like the new Terrain will be also there.....but most likely on a turntable, or not on the floor.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The newest member of the floating D-pillar/roof club: the Opel/Vauxhall Crossland X. This one is a baby brother to their Mokka X / Chevrolet Trax / Buick Encore. That D-pillar bears a strong resemblance to that of the latest Lexus RX.

a304906.jpg

a304907.jpg