Best aftermarket HIDs...?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Hi guys,

Do any of you have experience with aftermarket HIDs? When I bought them for my car three years ago, I did a ton of research on the best brands and from what I saw, Morimoto was top-end OEM quality, so that's what I went with.

About a year and a half into ownership, I had a problem where my headlights wouldn't come on, or one or the other would come on. I brought it in for inspection and the shop I used for installation (highly reputable, #1 recommendation from The Retrofit Source) and they told me this generation of Morimoto HIDs had some problems with igniters failing. They were all replaced under warranty.

Fast forward another year, now I am having the same issue again.

Just curious if anyone has had problems like this with Morimoto? The #2 brand I read about was Xenon Depot and at this point, I'm regretting not going with them because I feel like my experience with Morimoto has been less than stellar.

Thanks in advance.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
I've had Morimoto bulbs in the Jetta for about two years now and haven't had a problem with them. The ballasts/igniters are OEM so I don't have experience with those from Morimoto, but from what I remember they are pretty popular for retrofitting and I haven't heard of any repeating quality issues with them. The guys at The Retrofit Source have really good customer service so maybe try and talk to them about the problems you're having if you want to stay with Morimoto?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have chatted with TRS about it and they've been very helpful, but they essentially told me to head over to their recommended installer (again) and have them car checked out. I appreciated that TRS replaced everything under warranty the first time, but I'm at a point now where having headlights fail or not work in the middle of the night is NOT ok with me.

I'm going to ask for more info when I take the car in today, and see what they say. Maybe I should switch to another brand if these igniters are failing again.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Definitely understand that frustration, and would not want to deal with continuing failing parts. Wish I could've been more help, but I'll be curious to know if it is the igniters failing again and how a different brand works for you if you go that route:thumbsup: