AutoGuide: Mercedes GLA vs. Lexus NX

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
By all accounts, including this one, the NX is a winner, but it is the Lexus equivalent of a "butter face" (you know, great body, but her face...) - I just can't like the regular front end. No wonder most of the test cars are F Sports.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I've had some good seat time in the GLA 45 and now the NX. I just think they are really far apart in size and interior quality and features to be considered head on competitors. They are priced around the same so I can see some people comparing based on that.

In regards to the GLA 45, I'm still stunned at how much I liked the car. The engine pulls with much authority when it spools up and it kind of felt like a rally racer. You would not guess this is a Mercedes inside and out. Really cool concept.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm still surprised as to why some automotive journalists compare the NX to the GLA (and Q3, and X1) when the NX is in the same size category as the GLK, X3, Q5, and so on. Reminds me of the RX which was also compared to the Q5 and X3 only because of pricing which shows the Germans being the lower value propositions here (same with the NX).

As for the GLA, a CUV as per MB??? The marketing team is trying to capitalize on the hot CUV bandwagon. Well, it's a CLA/A-class hatch and for perspective, it's almost 2 inches shorter than a Toyota Matrix (and 7 inches shorter than the NX).

Reactions
The GLA is another example that proves Mike Bevens comment on not being able to build a true luxury vehicle by cutting corners !!!