Am I just unlucky? (2008 Lexus GS450h)

Reactions
My GS450h is 14 years old. Done only 48,000 miles in it, from new. Never mistreated. Stored outside, but not in a saline environment. Sails through its MOTs (it's in the UK). Never any problems.

Until:

Yesterday, heard a loud rattle from the rear when I pulled away from home. I stopped immediately. The silencer (muffler backbox at the end of the exhaust) on one side had come completely loose from the main body of the exhaust, and, together with the exhaust/end pipe. was being dragged.

Long and short, much of the Y section of the exhaust is corroded. The sections closest to the silencers are badly corroded. The silencers and tailpipes themselves are perfect.

No point even trying to weld it back - the metal has had it. So a mechanic will fabricate a brand-new Y piece and weld it into place. A 2-3 hour job, cost (outside London) upwards of £200 ($275), parts and labour.

Have I been unlucky?

Levi

Expert
Reactions
My GS450h is 14 years old. Done only 48,000 miles in it, from new. Never mistreated. Stored outside, but not in a saline environment. Sails through its MOTs (it's in the UK). Never any problems.

Until:

Yesterday, heard a loud rattle from the rear when I pulled away from home. I stopped immediately. The silencer (muffler backbox at the end of the exhaust) on one side had come completely loose from the main body of the exhaust, and, together with the exhaust/end pipe. was being dragged.

Long and short, much of the Y section of the exhaust is corroded. The sections closest to the silencers are badly corroded. The silencers and tailpipes themselves are perfect.

No point even trying to weld it back - the metal has had it. So a mechanic will fabricate a brand-new Y piece and weld it into place. A 2-3 hour job, cost (outside London) upwards of £200 ($275), parts and labour.

Have I been unlucky?
No, I don't think. This happens fast with water/salt.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

Until:

Have I been unlucky?
Spray down the undercarriage once in a while, or go full detail and then apply on a rust inhibitor like cosmoline or woolwax. It will help slow down the rest of natures run on metal.

Rust is a natural continuous process. If you can pass MOTs you are better then the majority of old cars on the road.