Alex on Autos reviews the new Lincoln MKX.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
A superb but somewhat lengthly review. This guy is good
thumbsup.gif
. There isn't much he misses.....especially compared to the way some others I've seen on Youtube do reviews. The only area where I (slightly) disagree with him on this vehicle is that he may (?) be over-rating the potential reliability of MKX and the upcoming Cadillac XT5 vs. the Lexus RX, which has a solid history of excellent reliability. He did correctly point out, though, that the Lincoln's general fit/finish level, though good, wasn't quite up to the RX's standard.

Though I like Motorweek's John Davis for his character/mannerisms and the fact that he is personally such a nice guy to talk to (I've met him and talked with him several times), this guy Alex is probably a better out-and-out reviewer. John, though, is time-limited on the weekly Autoweek show, and doesn't have the time to do lengthy reviews on the air as thoroughly as the ones Alex does.

Since I did a full-review on the new MKX myself, I was tempted to just bump the old thread up and add this one to the bottom. But Alex, IMO, does such a good review here (plus, of course, the fact that this is HIS opinion of the vehicle, not mine), that I felt it deserved a new thread of its own.

I felt he was fair, in his summary at the end, comparing it to the new RX....giving the new RX kudos for better fuel economy, a hybrid option, better fit/finish, and potentially better reliability, while giving the MKX kudos for its drivetrains,(minus numb steering), good road manners, refinement, and the level of standard and optional equipment inside. He really raves about the MKX's 22-way power driver/front-passenger seats, a $1200 option.

Last edited:
Reactions: RAL

mikeavelli

Reactions
Alex is a Honda fanboi and I take his reviews with a grain of salt.....I've posted on his FB a couple of times questioning his thoughts and summaries.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Alex is a Honda fanboi and I take his reviews with a grain of salt.....I've posted on his FB a couple of times questioning his thoughts and summaries.

I can't comment on his reviews that you are specifically speaking of, as I may not have actually seen them. But, in this particular one, in terms of him being a Honda fan, I didn't see any evidence of him trying to push the Acura MDX as a competitor to the Lincoln MKX (the Honda Pilot, of course, is simply too downscale as an MDX competitor). Indeed, he spent much of his time, at the end, comparing it to the Lexus RX. (which I agree)

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

While his reviews sometimes do have some good info, I have to agree with this.

If you watch a bunch of his videos, it becomes clear he's biased towards certain brands. He also, surprise surprise, rarely talks about Toyota or Lexus when it comes to making comparisons during a review. In this Lincoln video he did mention Lexus, but only because the RX is the undisputed sales leader in the segment. In many other videos he never mentions Lexus as a comparison, nor Toyota. In some videos it's downright mind boggling, where he'll go out of his way to mention some Kia, Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, Honda, BMW, Audi, Lincoln, Acura, yet leave out a Toyota or Lexus as a comparison.

Also I have an issue with his slogan "Real. Detailed. Reviews". Yes they're real, but it's strongly arguable as to how "detailed" they are. I strongly dislike his goofy trunk assessments, with the non-stop talk about roller bags, and his "exclusive trunk comfort" index of lying down in the trunk. His goofy roller bag talk quickly gives you a headache, one main reason why I've mostly stopped watching his videos. It's as if he's testing vehicle trunks for taxi drivers, and security companies, and not regular people. Also despite his claim that he does regular, detailed reviews for regular people... he still focuses way too much on performance, and how a vehicle handles in the corners during his driving assessments.

He also has a very strange love for CVT transmissions, even though there is lots of evidence that the majority of North Americans absolutely hate CVT transmissions.

I have yet to see a Youtube vehicle reviewer that does truly objective and detailed reviews. Hard to believe given how popular Youtube is, and how many auto review channels there are on Youtube.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
His review seems to be largely based on what's already published (both in automaker's brochures and other media), with very little substantial commentary based on or about actual driving of subject vehicle. Likely a superficial/short test drive involved.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I have yet to see a Youtube vehicle reviewer that does truly objective and detailed reviews.

Well, we may not totally agree on Alex, but on one thing, yes, you're right......good Boob-Tube reviewers are not not exactly a dime a dozen. ;)

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
His review seems to be largely based on what's already published (both in automaker's brochures and other media), with very little substantial commentary based on or about actual driving of subject vehicle. Likely a superficial/short test drive involved.

Perfectly said. His videos are long, but he mostly talks about nothing, or is simply regurgitating press releases or brochure information. Very little substance for such long videos.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Perfectly said. His videos are long, but he mostly talks about nothing, or is simply regurgitating press releases or brochure information. Very little substance for such long videos.
Yup...IS-SV stated it perfectly...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well, it looks like the majority of you guys (or at least those of you who replied) don't quite share my high opinion of this guy's viewing ability...so, I'll try to remember not to post any more of his stuff in this forum. His videos, of course, are still available on YouTube for those who are interested.

mikeavelli

Reactions
He just told me the G80 outsold the GS 2:1 and the G90 is 75% of the sales of the LS. I looked at sales figures and this is completely false. Not to mention the GS/LS are older and more expensive.

Always some odd Lexus back handed remark from him, but he faps to Honda lol...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
He just told me the G80 outsold the GS 2:1 and the G90 is 75% of the sales of the LS. I looked at sales figures and this is completely false. Not to mention the GS/LS are older and more expensive.

One thing unique about G80 sales, though.....they might (?) include the former Hyundai Genesis, which is the same car, simply rebadged for the new Genesis division. I don't think actual Genesis-brand division sales started until later in the year, when the division became active.