Deusex

Follower
Reactions
I don't know what to think about it. Not wowed for sure on exterior and interior. It is a nice car overall, just nothing here that would be like OMG this car looks amazing!
Handles are not fixed as predicted, on interior doors open same way as current LX. I like the press button on NX.
Doesn't really look that much different than current LX.

I'm curries what will the reviewers say. Maybe I'm just expecting to much.
Reminds me little bit of a range rover. But that is a good thing.

I think I will be more impressed with next gen RX.

Last edited:

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
I don't know what to think about it. Not wowed for sure on exterior and interior. It is a nice car overall, just nothing here that would be like OMG this car looks amazing!
Handles are not fixed as predicted, on interior doors open same way as current LX. I like the press button on NX.
Doesn't really look that much different than current LX.

I'm curries what will the reviewers say. Maybe I'm just expecting to much.
Reminds me little bit of a range rover. But that is a good thing.
Not too much to expect something a bit different after all this time.

it’s clear the Lexus don’t want to upset the market who use this as a sand dune killer but for the buyers who just want a full size SUV that we all know won’t so much as mount a kerb let alone go off-road, it just doesn’t do it.

Demetrius

Founding Member
Reactions
Its a solid redesign, but extremely safe.
With the LX having no flagship competition from now dead LQ/LF-1(trademark abandoned 2 days ago), I thought it would be a great chance to cement itself at the top of the brand with an even higher luxury push. They introduced the Ultra Luxury package and I think it's a nice touch, but they can/should go even higher IMO. Take risks, get a little innovative.

I can see them adding to the model over the first few years. They have to electrify it(750h) and they have to introduce an off-road oriented model.
The Global Toyota page shows photos of an LX 600 OFFROAD model. I'd expect that to receive the iFORCE MAX powertrain if it comes stateside.

Attachments

• LQ.PNG
    LQ.PNG
    46.5 KB · Views: 18

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The LX/Land Cruiser 100-200-300 has never been a radical change - it's always incremental and evolutionary. If you were expecting it to be significantly different, you probably want something different anyway.

For the core LX and Land Cruiser buyer, this is exactly what they want and more (VIP package, F SPORT, weight reduction, stronger motor, upcoming hybrid, etc).

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Interesting to see they are adopting the two-screen system now that it's out of fashion. To me it's always the best infotainment layout but manufacturers these days are moving towards huge single-piece screens. It's just less distracting and provides more information. I prefer it over the 14-inch system on NX/Tundra.
We got access to the UAE materials and perhaps most importantly, this is an updated version of the V35A-FTS and very different from the LS 500 indeed. I quote:

"It shares the engine block and cylinder head with the LS engine, but the pistons, intake system and turbocharger have been modified. it is designed to produce torque from low speeds and maximum torque as befits the LX. Roughly 60% of all engine parts have been newly engineered."

A 60% redesign over the LS 500's engine is a significant change and very impressive to me. After my struggles with the LS 500, this is very encouraging.
See this link for full breakdown of differences between the LS500 engine ('Type 17') and LX600 engine ('Type 21').
https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/19-09-10_faq_df_v6_eng.htm

If you read through the article you will see the Type 17 is still the more advanced engine while Type 21 is simplified to reduce the amount of electronic parts for better reliability. Type 17 has the potential to develop a lot more high-end power and better response but right now it's still heavily limited by its application...it just doesn't belong on the LS.

The small difference in power output between the two seems to be from the lack of particulate filter (GPF) on the Type 21. If GPF is installed it may lose ~20hp.
Lexus can’t just show us the LF1 concept then give us yet another Land Cruiser with a spindle grill.
Problem is that's exactly what LX buyers want. TMC as a whole is so 'hated' on the internet because they know their customers too well. They always build exactly what they want, nothing less, a bit more. We see this on most of the products they launched recently: NX, Tundra, LX. There are a few times they completely do something unexpected and that's what people get excited about, like the IS500 FSP and GR Yaris, things that are nice to have in the lineup but don't necessarily have a large audience.

They failed terribly at forcing unwanted things onto customers and ended up alienating most of them, twice in recent history: 5LS and S220 Crown. People want an improved version over a proven formula and never asked for them to be completely different.

Last edited:

Jezza819

Follower
Reactions
I think I've seen that grille on the non F Sport before. I think either Gillette or Schick makes something similar.

cookieyh

Fan
Reactions
Some initial feelings:

Positive:
1. Exterior design (front and back)
2. First time standard model looks better than F-Sport

Negative:
1. No panoramic sunroof, no need to mention competitor, even Tundra has it
2. Central console is too busy and crowded (reminds me Acura). Prefer one screen design

Adrian

Fan
Reactions
It looks like the LX was in production planning the same time as the LS, with cues coming from the MID. Time to see the new RX and TX

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The thing I hate the most about the new LX is brake-by-wire (they call it ECB). It's just those kind of innovations that nobody asked for especially when it still needs an actual hydraulic back-up system. And the LX just isn't the right kind of vehicle to have brake-by-wire.

GoHuskers

Fan
Reactions
Maybe I'm 1 of those "traditional" Lexus buyers but I LIKE what I see. It looks more "athletics" than the current LX. I do not want something that is way too "radical" or way too much different. I do not like the horizontal grill but there is the FSport grill to fix that.

Adrian

Fan
Reactions
Maybe I'm 1 of those "traditional" Lexus buyers but I LIKE what I see. It looks more "athletics" than the current LX. I do not want something that is way too "radical" or way too much different. I do not like the horizontal grill but there is the FSport grill to fix that.
I agree with your point but why go back to the horizontal lines from previous design language instead of the mesh or cascading grille that we have seen on the LS, LC, NX, and IS? The new grille designs Lexus had came out with recently has looked better than the horizontal lines of the LX

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
I am not disappointed with the exterior. with a vehicle like this there is very little you can do with the exterior. I said this like 2 or 3 months ago. I was only interested in what they were going to do with the interior. And it looks like they delivered.

Show me one vehicle in this category that the redesign does not look like a facelift on the exterior.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
I am not disappointed with the exterior. with a vehicle like this there is very little you can do with the exterior. I said this like 2 or 3 months ago. I was only interested in what they were going to do with the interior. And it looks like they delivered.

Show me one vehicle in this category that the redesign does not look like a facelift on the exterior.
Right…except Lexus already showed how they could make something really impressive with the LF1…then pooped out more pig with lipstick trash with this re-nosed Land Cruiser.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The RZ is going to be the LC special type of car. LX is same as previous, but much better, just what Lexus wanted to achieve.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
Right…except Lexus already showed how they could make something really impressive with the LF1…then pooped out more pig with lipstick trash with this re-nosed Land Cruiser.
You are right but it was also mentioned that the closest thing we will see to the LF1 will probably be the EV