LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
Really missing the clamshell rear tailgate. Was at the airport and saw a guy in a Range Rover opening his and it just helps with loading and it was cool to see both sides were power operated. Also missing the digital mirror and I wish the second row moved fore and aft.

Going between the RX and LX as well as the LX drives for a BOF the RX being a unibody is way way smoother.

I do like the LX size, fits fine in a garage, really easy to park with the around view cameras and doesn’t feel like a bus.

Just some thoughts nearing 17k miles.

Mike, I know you really can't say anything negative about the LX600 to protect your brand and relationships. But, I still feel Lexus missed the mark with the LX600 and frankly it didn't really upgrade the deficiencies that much while further capitalizing on its strengths. Sure, the technology is almost up-to-date (but still not really).

Makes me sad, as I'll be keeping current LX 570 a bit longer and then either hoping beyond hope that Lexus does the right thing with the next generation GX or otherwise I'll be forced to consider alternative brands. Probably loyal to a fault in that regards.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Mike, I know you really can't say anything negative about the LX600 to protect your brand and relationships. But, I still feel Lexus missed the mark with the LX600 and frankly it didn't really upgrade the deficiencies that much while further capitalizing on its strengths. Sure, the technology is almost up-to-date (but still not really).

Makes me sad, as I'll be keeping current LX 570 a bit longer and then either hoping beyond hope that Lexus does the right thing with the next generation GX or otherwise I'll be forced to consider alternative brands. Probably loyal to a fault in that regards.

That’s not really true since no matter if I worked with the brand or not, my comments would be the same. I am a Lexus enthusiast first, :)

I won’t argue if you think it missed the mark, we have seen some reviews say the same and I’ve stated my thoughts a few times on its deficiencies. What makes it up to me is this is a much more pleasurable drive than the 570 (if you remember we had one too). It’s night and day like the RX500h is night and day.

Feedback is provided to the company and to Lexus credit they are not blind to its shortcomings. Kaizen is always at play and maybe a significant MMC will change your mind,

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
They must have done something right if there’s a long wait on getting one. They just got to decide when it’s time to get off the body on frame concept. I think the hybrid max is coming motor is coming.

mikeavelli

Reactions
They must have done something right if there’s a long wait on getting one. They just got to decide when it’s time to get off the body on frame concept. I think the hybrid max is coming motor is coming.

In almost a year I’ve seen one in the street and it wasn’t a F SPORT. It’s crazy the compliments and attention it gets. To me that counts for something especially with ten billion Escalades and Tesla Model X’s around.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
There’s things that they messed up on. But it’s far better than the 570. If you don’t like than don’t buy it. I’ll take it over a range any day and twice on Sunday.

Berto3818

Follower
Reactions
There’s one thing to have a constructive opinion back up by facts but a lot of what I read here is sure negative. How can you be a Lexus Enthusiasts like that? Personally I think they messed up on the interior layout and dash. Why the two screens? I also think more room should have been made in the back but because of the body on frame they can’t. They do need to figure out how to get the max motor in there .

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
@Levi , agree with you in the tailgate point
Interior is a personal taste, for myself I hate screens and loving minimalist design
Rear end for me is ok, dare I say better than Range Rover, I love the bumper less design
Front end especially this huge mouth is not that cool apart from the F sport

BOF is a must and the F sport have 3 diff lock and that's the only thing matters to me but so the LCj300 GR sport

LateToLexus

Follower
Reactions
There’s one thing to have a constructive opinion back up by facts but a lot of what I read here is sure negative. How can you be a Lexus Enthusiasts like that? Personally I think they messed up on the interior layout and dash. Why the two screens? I also think more room should have been made in the back but because of the body on frame they can’t. They do need to figure out how to get the max motor in there .

Being an enthusiast does not mean you have to be an unwavering fan boy. Still like the LX600, just wish they would have taken some larger leaps forwards.

What I am extremely enthusiastic about is Lexus trucks quality, durability, reliability and ability to be a bit of a wolf in sheep clothing. Because of this, I'd never entertain a Range Rover/Land Rover simply because I value the those criteria so much.

Lexus is still class-leading in many of the areas I value most in a vehicle as I'm just not interested in disposable cars. Doesn't mean they make perfect cars and there isn't some missed opportunities.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
What they missed IMO is not interior, but no split tailgate and no IRS.
I'm unsure why they didn't go IRS on the LX. For the buyer of the 10 year old LX that wants to build an overlanding rig, SRA is awesome, but I'm not sure why Lexus would cater to that buyer and make the bumpers/rockers so unfriendly to off roading. I figure it was a cost / capacity thing. Maybe the spreadsheets say they could sell 10k a year in the US with IRS instead of SRA. But maybe they only have the capacity to build 4k a year anyway, so it makes sense to cater to the Middle East market (which I'm sure prefers the SRA).

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The Nissan Patrol and Mitsubishi Pajero are both IRS yet they are still popular in Middle East. For sand-dune driving IRS is not a disadvantage. Buggies and military trucks are all IRS because of this.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It definitely is a cost thing. Some negative reviews of the Sequoia might be due to its loss of IRS. Both new Sequoia and Landcruiser have the same SRA. I know the previous Sequoia went IRS as a testbed for next (so current) gen LC300. Sequoia IRS a can be directly swapped on LC200.

Tailgate also is a cost thing. Now I wonder if next GX/Prado retains the swinggate or loses it too. Maybe @mikeavelli could tell?