Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I didn't get a chance to read the article. What options does the Sequoia have that the LX doesn't? I agree that the powertrain is a huge benefit over the LX.
On a positive note I have been very pleased to hear the engine and shifting of the LX600 has seen almost universal praise in terms of smoothness, shifts, and acceleration (the reviews in New Mexico at 8,000 feet were consistently beating Lexus claims). Quells any worry of the dreaded 2018 LS experience

Top three off the top of my head are panoramic roof, second row captain's chairs and hybrid powertrain. Neither has front massaging seats, and I wouldn't expect that from a Sequoia but I do from an LX.

Certainly the overall luxury and ambience will be less with the Sequoia, but just my .02, it's far better looking, comes in more models and trims, and you can get it with a hybrid. All of those make it more appealing to me personally. Plus, I'm sure a loaded Sequoia platinum, 1794 or Capstone are going to be $65-87k. That's not too far off LX money.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Did not get a chance to read said article, but hybrid is standard on the Sequoia? So no pure ICE?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Did not get a chance to read said article, but hybrid is standard on the Sequoia? So no pure ICE?

I didn't either but if it follows the Tundra, hybrid will be standard for the higher trims and the others will have the 3.4L gas TTV6 as standard. Some higher and middle trims might have the hybrid as optional like the Tundra - not sure.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Given the differences in purpose between Landcruiser and Sequoia, and what Lexus is supposed to add to a Toyota, I prefer the Toyota Landcruiser and would prefer and also think a Lexus to be based on Sequoia rather Landcruiser to make more sense. Quality/build wise, the Landcruiser has very high standard that makes it almost a Lexus, but again Lexus manages to add its "plus" over RAV4/Avalon/Prado with the NX/ES/GX, so a Lexus based Sequoia should be no inferior product compared to the original.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I look forward to what current LS500 owners think of the powertrain tuning on the LX600.

Wait...is Xiaohongshu used in U.S. too?

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Back to the LX, seeing and reading through all the reviews I have, I'll say despite missing a few of the amenities that some have noted earlier, I'm really quite impressed with it. The powertrain is great, and the chassis is a complete success for what it's capable of doing, as evidenced by the Land Cruiser, and gets the nice luxury appointments that would makes it worthy of a Lexus badge. If I was out shopping, I'd def put this at the top of my list for big off-roader SUV with some nice stuff to go along with it for passengers and so on.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I wondered why the lack of TTV8 was a glaring issue on the LS yet few people complained the same engine used in the LX. Both coming from an old NAV8, now with same engine but different reception.
Also why is TT hybrid "only" outputs a meager 437 hp, when the base engine was already outputting close 420hp? It should easily go beyond 500hp with little effort.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I wondered why the lack of TTV8 was a glaring issue on the LS yet few people complained the same engine used in the LX. Both coming from an old NAV8, now with same engine but different reception.
Also why is TT hybrid "only" outputs a meager 437 hp, when the base engine was already outputting close 420hp? It should easily go beyond 500hp with little effort.
It's 389hp+48hp. Toyota USA only rates the system for regular fuel. On premium fuel the system will output 457hp for future Land Cruiser/LX.

The 288V NiMH battery pack is limited to 47kW while there's no specs of the motor so it's unknown which component is the bottleneck.

Anyway the battery pack is very undersized and underpowered for a 2700kg truck. This is the same battery in a 1700kg Crown or 1900kg Highlander but it's pulling a ton extra weight. That's just the reliability tax they pay for using a very conservative battery chemistry.

Last edited: