Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
You cannot compare the Mercedes-Benz GLS with the Toyota Land Cruiser.

The Toyota is a true sport utility vehicle, body-on-frame truck-based, truly off-roadable and built for that type of harsh environment.

The MB, however, is a crossover, a car-based vehicle built for comfort, meant to be driven and used on paved roads as a modern version of the large American station wagon (or minivan). It may have AWD but it is not really meant to be driven often off-road.

Each vehicle has its uses and when used for the type of driving and environment for which it was built, it does its job well; take it out of its comfort zone, however, and it does not do so well.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
14 minutes of pure offroad footage. Awesome driving! Even with H/T tires the J300 GR-S maintains good traction in snowy mud which is arguably one of the most challenging terrains. It looks like MTS does good enough job for 90% of offroading, CRAWL for 9% and very rarely does it require the lockers. Absolute overkill in capabilities!

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
It's hilarious that we can still see a bunch of the diehard fanboys of the previous generations of Land Cruiser and their outdated mindsets talk trash about the LC300, if they enjoy staying stuck in the past then go ahead, or should I say stay there? Some people really just don't care about facts and only care about what they believe in.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It's hilarious that we can still see a bunch of the diehard fanboys of the previous generations of Land Cruiser and their outdated mindsets talk trash about the LC300, if they enjoy staying stuck in the past then go ahead, or should I say stay there? Some people really just don't care about facts and only care about what they believe in.
The only arguments for LC200 are price, availability of cars and parts, and maybe split tail gate. V8 is cool, but 6 cylinder diesel is not worse, proven by VW 3.0 TDI vs 4.0 TDI and BMW 3.0 I6 vs BMW 3.9/4.4 V8. 6 cylinders make the front lighter.

I like that the LC300 looks "old". Having something flashy/new in some places screams "rob/kill me".

I am still wondering what else will the F33-FTV be used for. Will it be Landcruiser exclusive, or will it also find home in the Prado (GX?), Hilux (Fortuner?)? New Ranger and Raptor are bothe getting V6 diesel, and even both maybe V6 petrol. Or will I4 diesel/petrol + hybrid be enough to compete against their V6s? It is quite clear that they are not able to make a good HEV/PHEV, so their (Ford/VW) only BEV alternative is "big" V6.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
You cannot compare the Mercedes-Benz GLS with the Toyota Land Cruiser.

The Toyota is a true sport utility vehicle, body-on-frame truck-based, truly off-roadable and built for that type of harsh environment.

The MB, however, is a crossover, a car-based vehicle built for comfort, meant to be driven and used on paved roads as a modern version of the large American station wagon (or minivan). It may have AWD but it is not really meant to be driven often off-road.

Each vehicle has its uses and when used for the type of driving and environment for which it was built, it does its job well; take it out of its comfort zone, however, and it does not do so well.
Agree
But technically we can compare the LCj300 with G

Levi

Expert
Reactions
06bcd683-8a3a-4f87-9517-716835528b77-jpeg.2974365

9f0a3a1e-c8ad-4a0f-8eb9-a0ac3a874513-jpeg.2979439

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
@mikeavelli I might want to put this in the LX600 thread, but can you share your thoughts on the Lexus Off Road Adventure offering in TN? Do you get to pick the vehicle or is it just whatever is offered at the time?

mikeavelli

Reactions
@mikeavelli I might want to put this in the LX600 thread, but can you share your thoughts on the Lexus Off Road Adventure offering in TN? Do you get to pick the vehicle or is it just whatever is offered at the time?

I haven’t heard anything on TN. You get to drive and switch SUVs and also go for ride alongs. It’s enjoyable.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Land Cruiser H2 under development and will start testing in Middle East. It will use the Yamaha developed 2UR-GSE V8.

It will take long time to evaluate the economic feasibility of hydrogen power so it will come in 2030 at the earliest.
20220310_P007-013_SCOOP_02.jpg

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
This isn’t new, laundalet LXs have been done before.
Still cool though.

Attachments

• BE621913-DD97-4E27-B140-120E4F4FFC18.jpeg
    BE621913-DD97-4E27-B140-120E4F4FFC18.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Wasnt their a RR phantom that was repurposed in a similar manner for falconry?

Anyone seen the pickup conversion of the 300 down under? Higher payload capacity etc

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I don’t think we will see the LC300 in the US. That’s what the LX and Sequoia Capstone are for. Wasn’t it a couple years ago when a Toyota rep said the LC will return to the US as a “cheaper, more offroad oriented model”? I think if the LC name returns to the US, it will be a FJ Cruiser replacement, and not a LC300.

I would love to see an FJ Cruiser replacement that is built on the 70 series chassis. That probably wouldn’t happen though.