Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
There's a 24 j70 update, I think it will be amazing to have hybrid in it
If so, then the puzzle solved

Will1991

Reactions
Don’t expect any technical revolution, the J70 value is using old technology to be easy to service on emerging markets…

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Maybe F33A diesel?
The J70's drivetrain is not designed to withstand that much torque. J70 was designed in 1984 when 300N.m was a lot of torque for even a truck. Later models are all capped at 430N.m and chip tuners in Australia basically swap the entire J200 drivetrain for high torque tunes (> 600N.m).

The J70 was a half-ton truck when that really meant the truck can carry up to 1/2 ton. Today's half-ton trucks carry over 1 ton and J70's rating gradually increased to 1.2 ton today, a 140% increase over its original rating. Its towing rating increased from 1500kg to 3500kg, a 133% increase. The average truck engine only breached 400N.m around 2005, 20 years after its launch. It's amazing how much engineering margin they left in a 40-year-old design. No car maker today will design a truck to operate at 100% above its rated specifications.

Last edited:

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a single turbo version of the V33 in the 70 series. The nice thing about the hot-v setup is the engine can be offered in single and twin turbo setups with very similar packaging. Much like the 1VD is offered in single and twin turbo versions, I think the V33 will as well.

The 1HZ and 1GR will probably continue as alternative engines in some markets as well.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
On Youtube Kirk Kreifels and Automotive Press are saying it'll be the Prado that's coming but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the GX is the upscale version and 4runner is basically the same thing as Prado. Sequoia Capstone is a replacment for LC. That leaves some LC off roader vehicle to come, like a LandCruiser Trailhunter vehicle to compete with the Bronco and Wranlger. Seems the most logical sense to me. Prado and LC300 makes no sense.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I don’t see the Prado name coming to the US. IMO, the most likely scenario is a FJ Cruiser replacement that rides on the Prado chassis and has the Land Cruiser name.

Like I mentioned in my last post, I would prefer to see a FJ Cruiser replacement on a 70 series chassis, but I think a Prado chassis is far more likely.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
On Youtube Kirk Kreifels and Automotive Press are saying it'll be the Prado that's coming but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the GX is the upscale version and 4runner is basically the same thing as Prado. Sequoia Capstone is a replacment for LC. That leaves some LC off roader vehicle to come, like a LandCruiser Trailhunter vehicle to compete with the Bronco and Wranlger. Seems the most logical sense to me. Prado and LC300 makes no sense.
Unless Prado will evolve compared to previous generations, and GX will depart from being just a "rebadged" Prado. But Landcruiser/LX indicate "same old".

While the Landcruiser/LX are "better" than the previous gen (it would be terrible if they were not), they still have not evolved to be competitive in today's market, but continue on the old recipe. If the Landcruiser/LX were new models that came out now, they would not sell any single of them and the cars would be a total flop. The same does not apply to 911 for example, which remains very competitive, heck it remains the sportscar benchmark till this day. Landcruiser/LX are not.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
It can't be the prado coming, we already have that as the GX, and having another mid sized bof suv that's on the same chassis as the 4runner will not make any sense. I also don't see the case where 4runner becomes a jeep type vehicle, 4runner is known as a bof mid sized suv and changing the 4runners image isnt ideal, if they wanted a bronco wrangler competitor they'd make a new FJ since people know that name plate here, and is loved. I'm just confused

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
First Dakar win by LC300 and 10th consecutive win by Land Cruiser

Stock FJA300 (diesel), only safety, tire and suspension mods. The production car category should be easy to win for them since only Land Cruisers of all generations race in that category. Other brands don't even bother because their products won't survive.

They didn't meet their 30th overall target and only placed 72nd. They encountered numerous issues including engine problems. Should serve as good lessons that can improve the production car even more.

Also now with 2nd overall victory in the GR Hilux DKR, the V35A-FTS has proven its reliability in the harshest conditions. The race engine is almost stock.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Some clearer shots of this thing from the Japanese filing
Issued Feb 2, 2023.

0001716577000001.jpg
0001716577000009.jpg
0001716577000008.jpg
0001716577000007.jpg
0001716577000003.jpg
0001716577000006.jpg
0001716577000005.jpg
0001716577000002.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Between Sequoia, Sequoia TRD PRO and the LX 600, it really is hard for even me to imagine the need for the LC 300 here in North America.

JustADude

Follower
Reactions
Same goes for the Prado that's coming. 4R, GX is enough. The Prado is basically the same as 4R not much differences. Only thing I say that'd make sense is that the "Prado" that's coming here is rebadged as a 4R, which would make sense since they're not sold in the same places anymore.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Same goes for the Prado that's coming. 4R, GX is enough. The Prado is basically the same as 4R not much differences. Only thing I say that'd make sense is that the "Prado" that's coming here is rebadged as a 4R, which would make sense since they're not sold in the same places anymore.
Then there is the Fortuner too in Asian and Middle-East and African markets.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Fortuner / Hilux is another different chassis
And this won't change even with the next gen of the both
They won't adopt the TNGA-F