2016 Audi A4 is 264lbs lighter, looks the same

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
001-2016-audi-a4-sedan-1.jpg

002-2016-audi-a4-sedan-1.jpg

The 2016 Audi A4 arrives with a bang, but no surprises. We say that because the formula for creating the new A4 is one we know all too well. Make it larger, add a bunch of content, reduce weight, and improve both power and efficiency. It's a recipe for success, and this fifth-generation A4 looks to be a solid contender against its chief rivals, the BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Class.

The shape hasn't changed; it's immediately recognizable as an A4. Instead, this new model updates that familiar design with sharper lines, similar to what we've seen on the new Q7, or even the R8. The big story here is that the 2016 A4 is up to 264 pounds lighter than its predecessor, depending on trim and engine. Additionally, the A4 is the most aerodynamic car in its class, boasting a drag coefficient of just 0.23.

A fresh, modern cabin lies within that lighter shell – one that looks decidedly more upscale than the last A4. Many elements are reminiscent of the Audi Prologue concept that we first saw (and drove) in Los Angeles last year – specifically, the steering wheel, and the new MMI controls. In fact, Audi has positioned its infotainment controls closer to the center console – in front of the gear selector. This reminds us of the current A8, where Audi specifically designed its shifter to act as a sort of wrist rest. You can rest your arm on the gear lever and still access all of the MMI functionality. Speaking of which, that's the latest generation of Audi's MMI interface, packing navigation, touch capability, LTE connectivity, and WiFi in the 8.3-inch color display.

Audi isn't saying which engines will come to the United States right now, but when the new A4 launches, it'll be offered with three gasoline and four diesel engines in Europe. Our best guess is that the US-spec car will come with the latest 2.0-liter TSFI turbocharged inline-four with 272 horsepower, as well as Audi's tried-and-true 2.0-liter TDI diesel four. Front- and all-wheel drive will be available, and for the first time, two-wheel-drive models will get a proper dual-clutch transmission – no more CVT.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/28/2016-audi-a4-official-photos-video/

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yup, pretty much an accurate thread title.

That drag co-efficient is very impressive. The exterior though is extremely plain and uninspired. The interior design I'm also not a fan of. The interior materials look pretty good, but the layout and design are a turnoff. Overall I prefer the previous-gen interior.

Oh and funny story about the previous-gen 2015 A4. The other day I saw one on the road from a bit of a distance, and for a moment I actually confused it for a VW.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I already have enough trouble telling them apart today. There just isn't much risk taking here. The engineering seems top notch though.

Here in the states the A3 is outselling the A4 now. I don't see this styling helping sales much here.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Can I assume it's now all aluminum body like the more expensive Audis...

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Can I assume it's now all aluminum body like the more expensive Audis...

Good question. I couldn't find much on that subject directly from Audi on their website, but some other sources I checked say it will be a space-frame with three different basic metals and alloys.....aluminum, high-strength steel, and magnesium, with the three metals and/or alloys used in different places and concentrations, depending on the strength/weight requirements.

That sounds to me like it could be a rather complex problem for the frame-rail machines used to repair frame damage after major accidents. Audi, though, I think, already has network of factory owned and/or factory-approved shops for repairing the aluminum-frame A8.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Rumors are the RS4 is coming back here...possibly as the sportback (sold overseas)

Here's some more, though inconclusive, info on that:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2017-audi-rs4-performance-specs-news-rumors/

Audi’s next generation RS4 is coming soon and America could get its first wagon version

The B7 Audi RS4 is an enthusiast’s dream: available manual transmission, a 4.2-liter, 420-horsepower V8, and all-wheel drive in a subtlty aggressive body. That’s why it was such a difficult pill to swallow when the German automaker decided not to ship the B8 RS4 in any form to the U.S.

Americans have now been without the RS4 since 2008, but the latest news of the next-generation RS4 includes a nugget of hope for those who have mourned its absence most. Car and Driver is reporting that Audi plans to introduce the B9 generation RS4 Avant very soon and a version of the high-powered estate could make it stateside.

Quattro GmbH boss Heinz Hollerweger confirmed the next generation RS4 will ditch the naturally-aspirated V8 for a twin-turbocharged V6, presumably with more than 420 HP, and added that the world won’t have to wait long after the 2016 A4 goes on sale this fall to see both the hotter S4 and range-topping RS4 Avant.

Before you get too excited, Hollerweger added a disclaimer to the discussion of a U.S. spec RS4 by mentioning that wagon sales in the States haven’t been spectacular, hence the disappearance of the A4 and A6 Avant. However, Audi did say wagon sales have been improving lately thanks to the Allroad derivatives, and the automaker is considering if an RS4 Avant would sell reasonably well here.

Interestingly, Hollerweger pondered if the RS4 would ship to America in an alternative form, perhaps as a four-door coupe. Either way, a sedan RS4 unfortunately is out of the question for the time being.

With the mid-range performance market re-heating thanks to models like the BMW M3, Mercedes C63 AMG, and upcoming Jaguar XE SVR, I’d strongly encourage Audi to take part in the ensuing battle, even if the RS4 didn’t sell like mad.