Lexus GS 2015 GS 350 RWD $45991, should I accept this offer?

Reactions
My old Benz doesn't work now and I want to try a different brand. I searched some deals shared by others in autopriceshare.com and let dealers match them. The best offer I got for GS350 is $45991 ($3600 off MSRP). If I use dealer's finance, I could get 800 more discount.
I also searched some second-hand GS350 2015 or 2014. However, it seems the resale prices for GS350 are high. So I focus the new car here. If someone here just purchased the similar models, could you please share your opinions about this price? Should I accept this offer now?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
My old Benz doesn't work now and I want to try a different brand. I searched some deals shared by others in autopriceshare.com and let dealers match them. The best offer I got for GS350 is $45991 ($3600 off MSRP). If I use dealer's finance, I could get 800 more discount.
I also searched some second-hand GS350 2015 or 2014. However, it seems the resale prices for GS350 are high. So I focus the new car here. If someone here just purchased the similar models, could you please share your opinions about this price? Should I accept this offer now?

The (potential) problem with dealer-finance is that if you're paying a significantly higher interest rate than you could get elsewhere, it might actually cost you more over the long run. Lexus itself, from the factory, current has a 0.9% finance for 36 months on the GS350 F-Sport, but that may or may not apply to the particular car you are looking at.

As far as the actual $3600 discount off of list, that probably isn't bad for a base-model RWD GS without a lot of options (which I assume this car is). They don't have as much mark-up as most option-laden models, and, in general, the dealership doesn't make as much off of them.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Congratulations. :)

The dealership will still probably end up making some money on the maintenance plan, but given what service costs at a Lexus shop these days, $1200 for four years isn't bad....(that's $300 a year)........especially if you are getting synthetic oil changes in the deal. (I don't remember if the latest GS uses dino, semi-synthctic, or full-synthetic, but many cars today need either the semi or full-synthetic, which alone costs more). And four years of maintenance should also cover more than just oil changes.....there will be tire-rotations, component-inspections, and possible replacement of the A/C cabin-filters. The major services, if applicable, usually start at 30,000 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions
Congratulations. :)

The dealership will still probably end up making some money on the maintenance plan, but given what service costs at a Lexus shop these days, $1200 for four years isn't bad....(that's $300 a year)........especially if you are getting synthetic oil changes in the deal. (I don't remember if the latest GS uses dino, semi-synthctic, or full-synthetic, but many cars today need either the semi or full-synthetic, which alone costs more). And four years of maintenance should also cover more than just oil changes.....there will be tire-rotations, component-inspections, and possible replacement of the A/C cabin-filters. The major services, if applicable, usually start at 30,000 miles.
The new GS use 0W20 full synthetic oil. Not a big fan of the viscosity but its supposed to be energy conserving.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The new GS use 0W20 full synthetic oil. Not a big fan of the viscosity but its supposed to be energy conserving.

Ordinarily, regular petroleum 0W-20 oil doesn't give as much protection in the summertime as heavier weights, but since it's full-synthetic, I wouldn't be too concerned. Synthetic costs more for a reason....it giver better engine protection at very high and very low temperatures, though the additives in it can still wear out, and, especially with a car still under warranty, it still should still be changed at factory-recommended intervals.

Reactions
Ordinarily, regular petroleum 0W-20 oil doesn't give as much protection in the summertime as heavier weights, but since it's full-synthetic, I wouldn't be too concerned. Synthetic costs more for a reason....it giver better engine protection at very high and very low temperatures, though the additives in it can still wear out, and, especially with a car still under warranty, it still should still be changed at factory-recommended intervals.
But yet, the RC F still uses 5W30. I wonder if its not good enough for high performance engines. And the fact that the NX and starting in 2015 almost all other models will be changing oil change interval to 16,000 kms (10,000 miles) makes me cringe. I still do my oil changes at 5,000 kms, cuz I've seen some cars that have gone 8,000 kms (5000 miles) and the oil that comes it is pretty dark and seems dirty.

Reactions: CIF

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
But yet, the RC F still uses 5W30. I wonder if its not good enough for high performance engines. And the fact that the NX and starting in 2015 almost all other models will be changing oil change interval to 16,000 kms (10,000 miles) makes me cringe. I still do my oil changes at 5,000 kms, cuz I've seen some cars that have gone 8,000 kms (5000 miles) and the oil that comes it is pretty dark and seems dirty.

Oil, to some extent, is SUPPOSED to turn dark. If it didn't, it wouldn't be doing part of its job, which is to hold very small particles in suspense which are too fine for even the highest-density oil filters. If it turns too dark, though, too early, that probably means the filter isn't doing its job.

BTW, from your profile, I see you are a Toyota Master Technician. Congratulations. :) You have probably had more training along these lines than most of us.......might be able to teach us a thing or two. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Some interesting points. I stick with the (old) regular interval of 5000 miles/8000 km for Toyota/Lexus oil changes for the most part. Unless it's an MZ engine, which I'd be conservative on and do oil changes every 5000-6000 km or so.