• ES 350 F Sport AWD

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • IS 350 F Sport

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
All signs point to AWD making its way onto the spec sheet for the 2020 ES, and that the GS will soon be headed out to pasture. However, we also live in a time where the ES is no longer stodgy and boring - it even offers an F Sport model that has received a significant amount of positive press as a car that drives well.

I have a theory that the ES - with its newfound sportier demeanor - could actually eat into IS sales with the F Sport model, especially once AWD is added for the more discerning enthusiast.

Knowing the ES will likely receive Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD, we can ring in an ES F Sport AWD somewhere around $48-52k... about the same money as a nicely optioned IS 350 F Sport, +/- AWD on the IS.

So, humor me: You're a shopper who values a car that drives and handles well. If it was your wallet and your driveway, and you wanted a new, sportyish $50k Lexus sedan, do you choose the ES 350 F Sport AWD, or the IS 350 F Sport (AWD if you want). Why?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Your hypothesis is highly probable because it is very logical and we know Toyota is a painfully reasonable company.

I would buy the IS350 F-Sport because I know we will probably not get another one, just like how I would buy a GS-F if Lexus bothers to import one into China (I once seriously had the dangerous idea of importing one myself for the price of...a S-Class Maybach). The purchase after that will be electric anyway so why not enjoy while it lasts.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I have a feeling 4IS will be that "last of a lifetime" car, but after that, I think the future is far less certain.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I'd withhold a reply (even a purely hypothetical one) until I learned more about both the specific tuning of a Lexus ES AWD F Sport and what the 4th-gen IS (purportedly just under a year from its public unveiling) is like. I highly doubt I'd go with a 3rd-gen IS 350 F Sport unless both 7ES AWD and 4IS turn out to be so disappointing that they make 3IS the more palatable, enthusiast-friendly option.

GNS

Follower
Reactions
Between the two, the IS350 because it's a RWD-biased vehicle while the ES is FWD transverse.

Realistically, I'm with Joaquin on waiting for a 4th gen IS.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
I'd withhold a reply (even a purely hypothetical one) until I learned more about both the specific tuning of a Lexus ES AWD F Sport and what the 4th-gen IS (purportedly just under a year from its public unveiling) is like. I highly doubt I'd go with a 3rd-gen IS 350 F Sport unless both 7ES AWD and 4IS turn out to be so disappointing that they make 3IS the more palatable, enthusiast-friendly option.
Is ES300h getting a AWDe?

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
IMO it depends on your priorities - if carrying passengers on a regular basis is needed, the ES for sure. However, for handling and driver experience, it’s the IS and it’s AWD just “seals the deal” for me.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
All signs point to AWD making its way onto the spec sheet for the 2020 ES, and that the GS will soon be headed out to pasture. However, we also live in a time where the ES is no longer stodgy and boring - it even offers an F Sport model that has received a significant amount of positive press as a car that drives well.

I have a theory that the ES - with its newfound sportier demeanor - could actually eat into IS sales with the F Sport model, especially once AWD is added for the more discerning enthusiast.

Knowing the ES will likely receive Dynamic Torque Vectoring AWD, we can ring in an ES F Sport AWD somewhere around $48-52k... about the same money as a nicely optioned IS 350 F Sport, +/- AWD on the IS.

So, humor me: You're a shopper who values a car that drives and handles well. If it was your wallet and your driveway, and you wanted a new, sportyish $50k Lexus sedan, do you choose the ES 350 F Sport AWD, or the IS 350 F Sport (AWD if you want). Why?

If you need a lot of space, then IS wont be on your list... if you need RWD handling then ES wont be on the list.

If you just want to drive a luxury vehicle, then ES is an obvious choice.

And it is obvious always when some new car comes out, it makes older vehicle outdated... new IS is coming soon and then everyone will think ES is outdated and cheap.

Same with NX and Rav4 and Highlander vs RX.

Now NX is old tech car, but up to 6 months ago Rav4 was plastic pos.

mikeavelli

Reactions
As much as I love the IS an AWD ES at the same price just makes more sense even if its slightly less sporty. Much larger, newer tech, hell much more tech and more features.

MichaelL

Follower
Reactions
If it was for a 2020 model I would have to go ES. I couldn't spend new car money on the current IS, no way. If it were me I would wait to see the new IS before I made my decision. Maybe the new IS will be a great car, one that we are all hoping for...