Mercedes-Maybach "SUV" Leaks Ahead of Beijing, and I'm not Sure What to Say...

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
6_maybach-ultimate-luxury-0-800x412.jpg

3_maybach-ultimate-luxury-0-800x412.jpg

1_maybach-ultimate-luxury-0-800x412.jpg

2_maybach-ultimate-luxury-0-800x412.jpg

8_maybach-ultimate-luxury-0-800x412.jpg

tumblr_p6pz6nSltQ1vrjwbvo2_500.gif

tumblr_p4fofzvIpy1r3jqyco2_400.gif

tumblr_ole69paacr1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

tumblr_nvgw8lz2GD1tfn6k7o1_500.gif

Last edited:

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Hahahaha, what? For a second I thought it had a landau top. And now I'm not sure that would actually make it tackier.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Though of course there's no comparison in features, grandeur, comfort, or refinement, in concept it looks like an ultra-deluxe, six-figure version of Subaru's SUS (Sport-Utilty-Sedan) that was marketed some years ago. It was not successful in the U.S., and was quickly discontinued.

SUS-1999-side.jpg

Reactions
Wait no hold on a second. I have heard some things in regards to the development of this car. This makes no sense. The renderings doesn't match the inside rumors I heard.

As you know, they have the Mercedes-Maybach S-Class in 2 guises, being the S560 and S650 sedans (V8 and V12 respectively). They've also made a special Mercedes-Maybach S-Class S650 Cabriolet, only 300 being produced in 3 special exterior colors. After they made a Mercedes-Maybach version of the legendary Geländewagen (G-Class/G-Wagen) called the Mercedes-Maybach G650 Landaulet. See the pattern? These cars that they're building are based off of their flagship cars. However, there is one flagship SUV that they've still haven't produced a Mercedes-Maybach version of, and that's the GLS.

Rumor was that they would build the Mercedes-Maybach GLS and have that luscious S-Class interior stamped into the GLS. I'll be honest, I don't remember from where, but I do remember such rumors flying around. This rendering does not look like it would be based off of the GLS. It could either be two reasons. One, they could be making a SUV Coupe version of the GLE (which doesn't make sense in terms of that it isn't a flagship, but it is a model that sells very well), or they could be making a completely new flagship platform and making a Mercedes-Maybach out of that.

This rendering, to put it kindly, looks odd for a flagship.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Wait no hold on a second. I have heard some things in regards to the development of this car. This makes no sense. The renderings doesn't match the inside rumors I heard...

However, there is one flagship SUV that they've still haven't produced a Mercedes-Maybach version of, and that's the GLS...

This rendering does not look like it would be based off of the GLS. It could either be two reasons. One, they could be making a SUV Coupe version of the GLE (which doesn't make sense in terms of that it isn't a flagship, but it is a model that sells very well), or they could be making a completely new flagship platform and making a Mercedes-Maybach out of that.

This rendering, to put it kindly, looks odd for a flagship.
I don't think it's that complicated. The 2nd-gen (X166) Mercedes GL-Class (which was later rebadged GLS) went on sale in September 2012. Thus, its due for a 3rd-gen successor within the next year or so. Change the styling behind the C-pillar for more conventional SUV/wagon design and replace the show car touches and Maybach styling cues for more conventional Mercedes bits, and I think we're looking at the next-gen GLS.

Reactions
I don't think it's that complicated. The 2nd-gen (X166) Mercedes GL-Class (which was later rebadged GLS) went on sale in September 2012. Thus, its due for a 3rd-gen successor within the next year or so. Change the styling behind the C-pillar for more conventional SUV/wagon styling and replace the show car touches and Maybach styling cues for more conventional Mercedes bits, and I think we're looking at the next-gen GLS.

As much as I would like that to be true, the issue is that that does not correspond to their normal product cycle. I delve a bit into Mercedes-Benz a little, and from my humble knowledge, it makes no sense to debut something new as a Mercedes-Maybach. If you took notice, all of the Mercedes-Maybach models have been released into the middle of the normal Mercedes-Benz product cycle (barring the Geländewagen).

It is similar with Porsche. Whenever they release a new 911, the product cycle always went like this:
  • -Debut with a brand new Carrera/Carrera S
  • -A month/2 months later debut the Carrera Cabriolet/Carrera S Cabriolet
  • -Almost an entire year passes until we get the Carrera 4/Carrera 4S with the Carrera 4Cabriolet/Carrera 4S Cabriolet arriving shortly after. We see their flagship 911's coming to an end to their testing.
  • -This is where their flagships come into play, another 6 months later, they finalize the final specifications and production details. We see these these cars in their final days under camoflauge and we see the Turbo/Turbo S models and probably a GT3 model popping out in that timeframe, give or take a few months.

This is what I wanted to get to, they release their Targa/GTS models and the many other derivatives of their cars later, but this is where I wanted to get at.
Usually, they introduce a flagship into the middle of their product cycle (911 product cycle can range, from around 5 or 6 years to 10 or 11 years), because customers build up to their flagship model and they're like "please release them already", not to digress, but Lexus should follow suit. Shame they're stubborn.

Anyways, Mercedes-Benz is very similar in this manner. Start with the basic volume models, release an extremely valuable and low-volume Edition 1 cars (cars that started the generation as I like to call it) and probably debut with an almost aspirational model a little later, if not right then. Almost 2/3 years into the cycle they release the flagship AMG products. They continue to tinker and improve their cars through dynamic refreshes and close it off with a special model at the end of their cycle, only to be reborn as a new generation of the model.

My point is this completely goes against everything Mercedes-Benz does, unless they're trying to release a completely new model. OR, they're making an SUV Coupe of the GLS as a new model and base a Mercedes-Maybach based off of that. Stupid? Yeah. Profitable? Yeah. Still, they should make a Mercedes-Maybach derivative of the normal GLS, it makes more sense in terms of practicality and luxury.

With all due respect, I can totally see how you think I may have sounded complicated, but this goes against how Mercedes-Benz manages their production line.