Updated Lexus RX Coming to New York Auto Show?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew

Updated Lexus RX Coming to New York Auto Show?
18-12-06-lexus-rx-facelift.jpg

Next-generation model in 2021?
View the original article post

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
They should add more powertrains. RX350&300H. RX F would be interesting since BMW has MX, Audi has SQ and MB has AMG SUVs. RX-F twinturbo 3,5l.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They should add more powertrains. RX350&300H. RX F would be interesting since BMW has MX, Audi has SQ and MB has AMG SUVs. RX-F twinturbo 3,5l.

Unfortunately I don't think the RX"300/350h" will come soon due to the absence of a hybrid system that is powerful enough for a RX and not cost as much as the 450h. This is currently the biggest hole in Lexus's entire crossover lineup.

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Unfortunately I don't think the RX"300/350h" will come soon due to the absence of a hybrid system that is powerful enough for a RX and not cost as much as the 450h. This is currently the biggest hole in Lexus's entire crossover lineup.
I agree with you there is a big gap in the lineup. Here in Finland due to taxation, Lexus offers only low emission hybrid models. Higher the emissions higher the price RC F is only full petrol model offered here starting from 145000€. No single unit has sold (in contrast LC500 3 units and RC 12 units sold). Also, there comes taxation based on how much the car costs + consumer tax of 24%. That's why RX450H costs 82000€ whereas in Estonia it costs only 64000€. Lower hybrid is much needed. Maybe take the 2,5l inline4+motor hybrid system and put powerful rear motor name it RX350H. I think powerful gasoline engine than 2 litre turbo would boost sales in certain markets.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
"Second half of 2021" for the next gen is in line with the product roadmap of 6 years for Toyota-based FWD platforms. This of course will be telling if we see the next gen Highlander arrive for MY 2020 while the RX will be a MY 2022.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I have indeed taken up the challenge of commenting on, affirming or debunking (as the case may be), Just-Auto's Lexus predictions for a Kaizen Factor piece I'm working on. I just finished writing the RX section. Here's a preview of what it will say:

After the reputed dealer revolt over the Lexus LC convertible taking precedence over a 3-row RX, the latter was rushed into production for the 2018 model year. This, in turn wreaked havoc with the 4RX’s midlife refresh traditionally due for its third model year (2019). Facelifting the 3-row RX after a single model year was deemed ludicrous by the powers-that-be at Lexus (and rightfully so).

To manage this unwieldy situation, the 2019 RX (virtually unchanged from the 2018) launched a little early compared to its other siblings in order to accommodate the facelifted 2020’s unveiling at one or more of the major winter/spring 2019 motor shows. These would be Geneva (March 5-6 press days), Shanghai (April 16 & 17 press days) or, as Just-Auto suggests, New York (April 17 & 18 press days). The 2020 RX would then go on sale in April-May 2019. The pattern would then repeat for May 2020 (2021 model year).

There is actually precedent for this. The 3rd-generation RX’s mid-life facelift was unveiled at the March 2012 Geneva Motor Show, went on sale on April/May 2012 (2013 model year), and maintained this “early launch pattern” until the April 2015 New York International Auto Show unveiling of the current 4th-generation RX.

Both Just-Auto's Glenn Brooks and Carmaker1 concur that the 5RX will launch during late 2021 for the 2022 model year. Of note is that its predecessor will follow an unusual pattern of receiving a mid-cycle refresh on the 4th model year of its 6-year cycle, rather than the customary 3rd year as on the 3RX, NX, 5ES and 6ES. Again, blame the 3-row RX L for that. Speaking of which, note the reference to standard and long-wheelbase derivatives. Is this to be taken literally? Or will 2 and 3-row versions of the 5th-gen RX once again share a common wheelbase?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I have indeed taken up the challenge of commenting on, affirming or debunking (as the case may be), Just-Auto's Lexus predictions for a Kaizen Factor piece I'm working on. I just finished writing the RX section. Here's a preview of what it will say:

After the reputed dealer revolt over the Lexus LC convertible taking precedence over a 3-row RX, the latter was rushed into production for the 2018 model year. This, in turn wreaked havoc with the 4RX’s midlife refresh traditionally due for its third model year (2019). Facelifting the 3-row RX after a single model year was deemed ludicrous by the powers-that-be at Lexus (and rightfully so).

To manage this unwieldy situation, the 2019 RX (virtually unchanged from the 2018) launched a little early compared to its other siblings in order to accommodate the facelifted 2020’s unveiling at one or more of the major winter/spring 2019 motor shows. These would be Geneva (March 5-6 press days), Shanghai (April 16 & 17 press days) or, as Just-Auto suggests, New York (April 17 & 18 press days). The 2020 RX would then go on sale in April-May 2019. The pattern would then repeat for May 2020 (2021 model year).

There is actually precedent for this. The 3rd-generation RX’s mid-life facelift was unveiled at the March 2012 Geneva Motor Show, went on sale on April/May 2012 (2013 model year), and maintained this “early launch pattern” until the April 2015 New York International Auto Show unveiling of the current 4th-generation RX.

Both Just-Auto's Glenn Brooks and Carmaker1 concur that the 5RX will launch during late 2021 for the 2022 model year. Of note is that its predecessor will follow an unusual pattern of receiving a mid-cycle refresh on the 4th model year of its 6-year cycle, rather than the customary 3rd year as on the 3RX, NX, 5ES and 6ES. Again, blame the 3-row RX L for that. Speaking of which, note the reference to standard and long-wheelbase derivatives. Is this to be taken literally? Or will 2 and 3-row versions of the 5th-gen RX once again share a common wheelbase?

The reality of the LF-1 and this rather belated RX MMC, make me wonder what's going on with Lexus product planning? That LF-1 looks way too similar to the RX, that I wonder if the L-flagship nomenclature can be surpassed and this become the next RX? The timeline fits way too well, as that LF-1 is under 2 years away, allegedly "LQ".

A redesigned RX, arriving just 2 years after an allegedly heavy MMC just doesn't make sense, because updates cost money and ROI is important. I've always felt this MMC was originally for MY 19, but the rumored level of changes pushed it back. Ditto for GX J150 III, as the Prado LC150 III was ready to go by MY 2018, but GX J150 III was a no-show.

Think of how Lexus updated the LX and Land Cruiser parallel in November 2015. Yet, imagine if there were hiccups with the Lexus side and then the updated LC200 arrived for MY 2016, then LX instead for MY 2017 or MY 2018? It has never made sense the split in timing for that, unlike the case with the RX and Highlander since the early 2000s.

The Highlander and RX have never been parallel in life-cycle like the 150 cousins, because the original RX's development pre-dated the K-Platform by 2 years and was based on the aging 3ES platform (September 1996 to June 2001), that still dated back to 1991 (XV10 first planned in 1986-87). The 2003 RX redesign (aka RX 330) incorporated the K-Platform, which previously debuted in production on the Highlander in November 2000 (rel. Jan '01).

Both 1G Highlander and RX (Xu30) got Hybrids around 2005, which was the first time their timelines ever paralleled. 2G Highlander entered production 18 months before the 3RX (AL10) in November 2008, then the 3G Highlander appeared in February 2014 and AL20 (4RX) in December 2015.

Since a new Highlander enters production in just under 8 months, for January 2020 launch, I guess a new RX in late 2021 still fits and isn't too soon. My concern with the business case is, has Toyota already broken even with AL20 RX life-cycle, despite the 11th hour RX-L?

Have they decided to consider 2018-2020 model years, the extended mid-life start of the RX, just seeing the 2015-2017 period is the first part and all of late 2017 to late 2021, just the extended mid-life portion? Typically the pre-facelift runs equal in years to the post-facelift half (3+3) or the former runs 1 year longer (4+3). The IS, usually is different (2005-08, 2008-10, 2010-13).

BMW for example, breaks-even 5/8ths the way through a model life-cycle, which is when formal production development can begin on a successor. A new generation might take 4-5 years to plan and execute, but the last 2-3 years is dedicated to engineering a chosen set of parameters for production (aka production development), testing, and validation. The first 1-2 years is spent planning, conceptualizing, styling, and lining up suppliers for a new model.

If still 2022 model in late 2021, design of the next RX has already been decided on and they know what it looks now. The NX final design was set in January 2012, even though it came out in November 2014. By June 2011, they knew what it would look like pretty much already. As for the next NX, this summer one should start seeing prototypes I'd expect.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The reality of the LF-1 and this rather belated RX MMC, make me wonder what's going on with Lexus product planning? That LF-1 looks way too similar to the RX, that I wonder if the L-flagship nomenclature can be surpassed and this become the next RX? The timeline fits way too well, as that LF-1 is under 2 years away, allegedly "LQ".

A redesigned RX, arriving just 2 years after an allegedly heavy MMC just doesn't make sense, because updates cost money and ROI is important. I've always felt this MMC was originally for MY 19, but the rumored level of changes pushed it back. Ditto for GX J150 III, as the Prado LC150 III was ready to go by MY 2018, but GX J150 III was a no-show.

Think of how Lexus updated the LX and Land Cruiser parallel in November 2015. Yet, imagine if there were hiccups with the Lexus side and then the updated LC200 arrived for MY 2016, then LX instead for MY 2017 or MY 2018? It has never made sense the split in timing for that, unlike the case with the RX and Highlander since the early 2000s.

The Highlander and RX have never been parallel in life-cycle like the 150 cousins, because the original RX's development pre-dated the K-Platform by 2 years and was based on the aging 3ES platform (September 1996 to June 2001), that still dated back to 1991 (XV10 first planned in 1986-87). The 2003 RX redesign (aka RX 330) incorporated the K-Platform, which previously debuted in production on the Highlander in November 2000 (rel. Jan '01).

Both 1G Highlander and RX (Xu30) got Hybrids around 2005, which was the first time their timelines ever paralleled. 2G Highlander entered production 18 months before the 3RX (AL10) in November 2008, then the 3G Highlander appeared in February 2014 and AL20 (4RX) in December 2015.

Since a new Highlander enters production in just under 8 months, for January 2020 launch, I guess a new RX in late 2021 still fits and isn't too soon. My concern with the business case is, has Toyota already broken even with AL20 RX life-cycle, despite the 11th hour RX-L?

Have they decided to consider 2018-2020 model years, the extended mid-life start of the RX, just seeing the 2015-2017 period is the first part and all of late 2017 to late 2021, just the extended mid-life portion? Typically the pre-facelift runs equal in years to the post-facelift half (3+3) or the former runs 1 year longer (4+3). The IS, usually is different (2005-08, 2008-10, 2010-13).

BMW for example, breaks-even 5/8ths the way through a model life-cycle, which is when formal production development can begin on a successor. A new generation might take 4-5 years to plan and execute, but the last 2-3 years is dedicated to engineering a chosen set of parameters for production (aka production development), testing, and validation. The first 1-2 years is spent planning, conceptualizing, styling, and lining up suppliers for a new model.

If still 2022 model in late 2021, design of the next RX has already been decided on and they know what it looks now. The NX final design was set in January 2012, even though it came out in November 2014. By June 2011, they knew what it would look like pretty much already. As for the next NX, this summer one should start seeing prototypes I'd expect.

My guess would be that it is due to the TNGA and efficiencies it brings, they are moving RX forward, their factory plans look very different between TNGA and pre-TNGA plants.

LQ will be LQ.

p.s. I have seen some info on Highlander production starting in the USA in July, now what stage of production I do not know... maybe difference between US and JDM factories?