2018 World Car Performance & Design Finalist: The Lexus LC 500

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2018 World Car Performance & Design Finalist: The Lexus LC 500

18-03-12-lexus-lc-500-world-car-awards.jpg

A top three finalist in the Performance & Car Design category.
View the original article post

Last edited:
D

DDas

I don't mean to bring down other cars, but the M5 is BLAND and the Civic is OVERSTYLED. Let's be real: the XC60 looks like EVERY OTHER VOLVO nowadays - no originality. So, why should it win? The Velar is the only threat, and it's quite beautiful if I have to be honest. I still see the LC winning!

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This is sort of unrelated, but thinking back on it... it's surprising to me how little excitement the new M5 and E63 generated. I saw the test drives when they were released, a few facts about the AWD systems, and then they fell off the radar. Did nobody really care or have I just missed the follow up coverage?

mikeavelli

Reactions
After a year I can't get tired looking at the LC. It is simply a beautiful car.

This is sort of unrelated, but thinking back on it... it's surprising to me how little excitement the new M5 and E63 generated. I saw the test drives when they were released, a few facts about the AWD systems, and then they fell off the radar. Did nobody really care or have I just missed the follow up coverage?

I'm sure we both grew up in a time when these two cars not just mag darlings but the want of all enthusiasts. The E39 M5 might be the standard for a sports sedan. Then came the E60 V-10 and the W211 E55/E63.

I think its a couple of things. One being 20 even 15 years ago they were darlings and kind of had things to themselves so to speak. Fast forward to today and we have stupid fast Teslas, Hellcats, Panamera's etc etc. So I think we are accustomed to fast when in the past, the E63 and M5 were really anomaly's. in a slow world lol.

Also I just think both miss on styling, both are handsome at best and quite meh, particularly the E63. The specs for both are absolutely insane as are the interiors and tech. To me though I don't desire either :( which is a crazy thought. Also the prices are astronomical now. 105k base for a E63 and 130k loaded. I felt in the past they used to be a bit of a bargain compared to now.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
After a year I can't get tired looking at the LC. It is simply a beautiful car.

I'm sure we both grew up in a time when these two cars not just mag darlings but the want of all enthusiasts. The E39 M5 might be the standard for a sports sedan. Then came the E60 V-10 and the W211 E55/E63.

I think its a couple of things. One being 20 even 15 years ago they were darlings and kind of had things to themselves so to speak. Fast forward to today and we have stupid fast Teslas, Hellcats, Panamera's etc etc. So I think we are accustomed to fast when in the past, the E63 and M5 were really anomaly's. in a slow world lol.

Also I just think both miss on styling, both are handsome at best and quite meh, particularly the E63. The specs for both are absolutely insane as are the interiors and tech. To me though I don't desire either :( which is a crazy thought. Also the prices are astronomical now. 105k base for a E63 and 130k loaded. I felt in the past they used to be a bit of a bargain compared to now.

At some point, car prices become irrational. When the car prices are irrational, it is not enough to have a rationally good car. That is where the LC is completely irrational, and for that reason so desirable.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
The votes are in, and the Lexus LC wuz robbed! BMW M5 is voted World Performance Car of the Year, and Range Rover Velar is the World Car Design of the Year.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
unbelievable,
the Range Rover takes design of the year, what's up with these judges.

The M5 is an impressive performance car, so this is less surprising, but the LC has it in spades as a sexy performance car!

Levi

Expert
Reactions
unbelievable,
the Range Rover takes design of the year, what's up with these judges.

The M5 is an impressive performance car, so this is less surprising, but the LC has it in spades as a sexy performance car!

And yet, for me the new M5 is not desirable. The best M5 IMO was the E39. It had everything needed, and nothing not needed.

PeterF

Follower
Reactions
And yet, for me the new M5 is not desirable. The best M5 IMO was the E39. It had everything needed, and nothing not needed.

I wouldn't buy one either and don't particularly like it, but I am not surprised by its choice as performance car. It is a fast lux sedan; faster and better overall performing (in terms of numbers) than the LC, so I am not surprised that it got the award. I am surprised that the Range Rover got the Design award though.