Rumor: Lexus to Debut Semi-Autonomous Driving Tech with Next-Generation CT?

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-05-24-lexus-ct-replacement.jpg

Autocar has a new rumor about the next-generation CT, but could it really happen?
View the original article post

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Toyota/Lexus historically loves to introduce new tech in relatively low-volume low-end models, presumably so it's reasonably well debugged before either premium or volume customers see it. The major exception was the early 4LS's much-advertised self-parking feature which pretty quickly disappeared (was it gone before the spindle grille refresh?)

If they worked the other way, Hybrid Synergy Drive would've debuted in the 3LS and 2nd-gen Avalon (yes, I know the timeframes don't line up, but they're close).

Reactions
When you take the likely buyer of the CT's replacement into consideration, this strategy makes sense. Young, affluent urban consumers are early adopters of advanced automotive technology. While the next-generation LS will offer comparable semi-autonomous driving features (and it has to, if it's going to keep pace with the S-class), its typical buyers are far less likely to make use of those capabilities. Then again, perhaps that will change if the next-gen LS succeeds in drawing new blood to Lexus.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
When the HS 250h arrived it had loads of tech on an entry level hybrid sedan. I'm assuming Lexus wants to do the same with the CT as far as loading it up with lots of tech.

What I'd like to see on the 2CT is it to grow an inch longer and an inch wider, more refined and sharper lines and a current spindle grill from the likes of the current CUV/SUV line up. Also expanding the CT line to add either a CT 250h/300h and/or CT 200t.

I look forward to the 2CT...

isanatori

Follower
Reactions
Ah! I have never understood what Semi-autonomous means! Semi-autonomous is a defrauding definition. The 2016 prius already has semi-autonomous technology. It features a milimeter-wave radar that is more reliable than lidar or cameras. In case you don't know laser tech and camera tech is not reliable on heavy rain, muddy roads, wind, fog. Anyway the prius can stop, and start in accordance to the vehicle ahead. It can also steer in case of maintaining the vehicle on highway lanes. UPDATE: Actually it gives steering input assists to maintain prius between the lanes, but I bet it only assists the driver due to legal reasons only. What's the fuss about Semi-autonomous?

Last edited: