Lexus Moving to Turbo Engines for Next-Generation High Performance Models

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-10-12-lexus-rc-f-engine-400x200.jpg

Lexus will move to turbocharged engines in the next generation of its high-performance F models, according to a Motoring Australia interview with GS F deputy chief engineer Akio Iwasaki.
View the original article post

Axel

Fan
Reactions
You guys should be sad this masterpiece V8 will be no more. Stop bringing up those stupid BMW Mercedes engines. Response and drivability wise they can't match this V8.

The lexus engine V8 is very popular world wide. Toyota darker rally team uses this engine it very strong. First generation LS V8 that engine is doing great wonders after market. So please stop bringing up pathetic German engineering here calling is masterpiece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
I shed a tear for that NA V8. :( I regret not buying those swan song IS F's now.

There is a bright side. Toyota motors are always awesome. I hope this replacement motor is all sorts of crazy. Like maybe 1 spooling twin scroll turbo, 1 electric turbo mated to a smaller displacement V8. Just please, please keep the V8. I am not a fan of a V6 mated to twin turbos. The V6 has never been my cup of tea. It is one reason I never really wanted a GT-R or even the new Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio coming out. I recently traded my RC F in for a 4C, which has been absolutely incredible. But what I miss the most is that V8.

Currently shopping a used IS F as we speak. :(

Reactions
Lol, Turbo feeling like a Diesel? Sounds like somebody has never driven a car with a RB26DETT!

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
^ Yes, but they are more likely talking about common modern gasoline DI small turbo 4 bangers, lol (often tuned to hit max torque at under 2000 rpm).

Reactions
Turbocharging is the only way in the long run.

They can actually turbocharge or supercharge their 2GR-FSE to make around 450 - 480hp for the next RC-F/ IS-F. That would be a less expensive and quick way to come out with a "new" engine. In the mean time, they can then develop a 4.0 V8 for mid-size monsters like the GS, and even the LS, when paired with motors.

As for the rumored new supercar, they're gonna need something exclusive. A 5.0 V10 with twin turbos? Like Top Gear said, power from that could make the world move in the opposite direction.

GuoxJason

Fan
Reactions
Let's just have an extra battery to power an electric turbo! The power delivery can be more consistent, and the sound will be unaffected!

mikeavelli

Reactions
Obviously new engines were coming but the current 5.0 with forced induction can get to 600 plus easy...the TMG LS 650 proved that as well as when Lotus proposed using the same engine in a line of new cars (never happened).

Sadly looking at the NX so far, I don't think they are tuneable. For a car enthusiast that wants to add more power that is a HUGE HUGE benefit to going German and in our experience, reliability has been rock solid.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
As for the rumored new supercar, they're gonna need something exclusive. A 5.0 V10 with twin turbos? Like Top Gear said, power from that could make the world move in the opposite direction.

If you're talking about the rumored BMW/Lexus, it was mentioned the engine would be similar to the 3.7-litre V8 hybrid from the Toyota TS-040 race car. Seems far fetched, but that's beside the point. ;-)

I think we'll see a (twin?) turbo version of the 2UR-GSE engine for the next-generation F vehicles -- that's an engine that doesn't have many applications and it makes sense to keep it going. Time to move away from the 2GR-FSE, even with an upgrade.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Sadly looking at the NX so far, I don't think they are tuneable. For a car enthusiast that wants to add more power that is a HUGE HUGE benefit to going German and in our experience, reliability has been rock solid.

Considering recent history, it would be a major change for Lexus to allow engine tuning. Would love to see it.