1st Generation Lexus RC 300, 350, F and Track Edition Megathread

Reactions
I have only driven manual transmission M3/M4s so far so I couldn't really comment on the AT models. I would say at their base pricing the RC-F and G82 M4 are actually pretty comparable. I won't be surprised at all if someone in RC-F humiliate me in a drag race because very few people can shift MTs that fast. I absolutely agree the small size of RC-F helps it deal with the weight while the G82 M4 actually feels heavy. To me it's a draw with slight favor to M4 because of the interior.

The thing about the engine. S58 just doesn't work well with MT. The super tall ratio 6MT works perfectly with an engine with a very flat, diesel-style torque curve like the B58, but with the S58 it requires constant attention. Of course the older NA M3s (E46/92) also require a lot of shifting to work well, but they feel way more rewarding because I feel I'm working with the strength of the engine, with the S55/58 I'm working against the weakness of the engine.

One thing I noticed about the G generation BMWs vs. the F generation is considerably better construction quality. Their panel gaps and paint quality are now on par with Lexus. My F32 has horrendous panel gaps compared to Lexus I owned before. It seems BMW did learn something valuable from the Supra collaboration.

So my overall opinion: I will consder the RC-F because it's the best performing V8 car every made by Lexus; I will not consider a G82 M4 because I will only buy a manual M car and it just doesn't give the feel of the E46 or E92. If I need a numbers car I will just buy a TM3P.
Agreed, I share the same summation; since prices were within the same being in the same category it really came to platform goals and personal preferences with the platform. M4 i6, C63 AMG 4cyc, RCF V8 of course Audi options all within the same duel purpose track GT category and pricing. Similarly, I chose a RCF FSW because it was the first time I was in an RCF that really made me get what Lexus was trying to achieve with the platform and I started appreciating it for what it is then it let me to really enjoy the why engineering wise of the platform in totality. Of course my alternative was a M4GTS which was another car I appreciated truly above even current G82s. To your point if I needed a strict numbers car I would just buy MX-5 Cup car and LS swap it. Great point sir.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
RCF GT3. This is the last season it is racing as it will be retired next year. I believe the restrictors on the GT3 5.4L V8 variant of the 2UR are at around 6500 rpm or so. Some correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions
RCF GT3. This is the last season it is racing as it will be retired next year. I believe the restrictors on the GT3 5.4L V8 variant of the 2UR are at around 6500 rpm or so. Some correct me if I am wrong.

( This should maybe in the racing mega-post )
Common knowledge on the time frame of the RCF GT3 quite frankly it's done everything and more it was asked to do. Its success goes down in history. It's also doing fantastic in other series which is great to see currently. I hit up some contacts and it seems you are incorrect on your 6,500 point. The BoP sets the RPM at 7,200. Verified from one of the GOATS himself Bozi. Hope that clarifies.
šŸ. 1697637540387.png

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
Good insight from someone who owns all three concurrently and can provide strengths of each. Too bad he does not use the manual mode as it is night/day with auto mode especially in spirited driving or on the track. It really wakes up like a sledgehammer in manual mode. I hate the auto mode regardless of mode or spirited driving or city driving. LC500 has a much better auto mode.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
I am more than half way through and itā€™s shocking how little he knows about the car. This is pretty wild. Same guy just reviewed the Integra Type S and it sounded like a Honda advertisement

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
I am more than half way through and itā€™s shocking how little he knows about the car. This is pretty wild. Same guy just reviewed the Integra Type S and it sounded like a Honda advertisement

He lost me when he started to compare it to an LC500. He completely undersold and marginalized the car by saying 'it puts in the territory of the LC500, which is better in every way'. <Sigh!> Essentially, completely disregarding the unique advantages of the car. That essentially is a way to deter buyers from buying this great car. That is a very disingenuous statement for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
He is a mechanic, with little appreciation, at times, of how all the mechanical pieces may be put together into a desirable, "greater-than-the-sum-of-its-parts" machine.

Faisal Sheikh

Admirer
Reactions
RCF with a crazy exhaust reviewed by a Mustang guy (bonus RCF vs 500 HP Mustang GT Darkhorse race at the end. The darkhorse is manual and obviously driver skills could not match the fast shifting of the RCF):