What's wrong with Infiniti?

Sulu

Expert
Reactions

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
The buyers have spoken (in other words, "They want no d*mn cars!").
I disagree with that.. the aging Q50 was outselling the QX50 during the QX50's first two years of production, before freefalling once the pandemic hit.

Existing lease customers don't have a new or updated model to jump into and are leaving the brand.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Yeah I agree. While there is a shift to crossovers, Infiniti’s Q50 is ten years old next year. The 2021+ IS refresh got it to be one of the fastest moving cars Obviously the Model 3 sells like crazy.

Crown and Skyline are legendary names. Toyota made a Crown family, expanding the sub brand. Nissan for whatever reasons is going crossover only. I guess the next Century is going SUV too (not sure 4x4 or AWD).

For those of us that revere the Skyline nameplate, we understand the business decision but likely won’t admire whatever comes.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
For those of us that revere the Skyline nameplate, we understand the business decision but likely won’t admire whatever comes.
If the product the nameplate gets glued on is as the Acura Integra… that is a business decision awaiting failure.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Some things i've recently learned that i found interesting, from speaking with these goddamned kids young people:
  1. They don't seem to feel passion for EV powertrains in their current form
  2. They seem to want sedans over SUVs, and over coupes too
    1. I believe this is likely so they can pile their friends into a four door and not look like they're driving mom/dads family SUV
  3. They are cognizant of the motor in the car they're considering - well, as much as can be expected from ill-disciplined children
    1. The kids want V8s, or at least V6s, or very good smaller motors
  4. Life is way too expensive, and we need to do something so these kids can actually achieve their dreams
    1. This one is on us grown folk to stop prioritizing greed when dealing with young people

Last edited:

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Life is way too expensive, and we need to do something so these kids can actually achieve their dreams and have a future to look forward to
  1. This one is on us grown folk to stop prioritizing greed when dealing with young people
Don't hold out for this one man.. seen many guys around my age buy E92 M3s and E46 M3s and S2000s when they were cheap and flip em for exorbitant prices... young people just as greedy :(

mikeavelli

Reactions
Some things i've recently learned that i found interesting, from speaking with these goddamned kids young people:
    1. I believe this is likely so they can pile their friends into a four door and not look like they're driving mom/dads family SUV
  3. They are cognizant of the motor in the car they're considering - well, as much as can be expected from ill-disciplined children
  4. Life is way too expensive, and we need to do something so these kids can actually achieve their dreams

Well stated. Went to a meet hosted by some younger folks yesterday. Always interesting to talk to them. I did notice the kids that drove the newer rdx parked way in the back. Everyone else had cars and like you stated a ton of sedans.

Youth always like rebelling so since the mainstream wants crossovers and that’s what they are inheriting from mom and dad, it will drive up want for something like a sedan or coupe.

As for EV there wasn’t one at the meet. Mostly notice modified Teslas by older people.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yeah I agree. While there is a shift to crossovers, Infiniti’s Q50 is ten years old next year.

I can remember doing a new Q50 review at a local Infiniti shop some years ago. One of the Q50s in stock (a special-order car) had Vossen wheels on it (the dealer even had that listed on a second-sticker). If I remember correctly, Mike, you were once with Vossen.

I was tempted to sample a Q50 with the electronic Active-Steering option, but I was apprehensive about a steering system without a continuous mechanical-linkage, relying at least partly on electronics. I simply didn't really trust it, even though there was (supposedly) an emergency all-mechanical-backup contact if the electronics failed. Still, in the end, my apprehension won out over faith, and I took out a Q50 with the conventional power-steering.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions

V8 is a pipe dream now for 98% of these yunguns. In our time V8 was pricey, heck even expensive but it was not unobtainum. I could have hit 540i back then with some stretching (couldn't care less about BMW even back then) but todays youth will not even come close to being approved for V8 in a sedan. Chargers are their best option but that car is straight out criminal. And then there is insurance.

If I was to predict anything I would say entry turbo four bangers/sixes/sports hybrids sedans made for street showoff culture will stay with us for quite some time. Probably until the end of ICE era.

mikeavelli

Reactions
V8 is a pipe dream now for 98% of these yunguns. In our time V8 was pricey, heck even expensive but it was not unobtainum. I could have hit 540i back then with some stretching (couldn't care less about BMW even back then) but todays youth will not even come close to being approved for V8 in a sedan. Chargers are their best option but that car is straight out criminal. And then there is insurance.

If I was to predict anything I would say entry turbo four bangers/sixes/sports hybrids sedans made for street showoff culture will stay with us for quite some time. Probably until the end of ICE era.

Well it’s a shame Mustang pricing has gone nuts. Their V-8 was affordable. So was the Camaro and Stellanis cars. Tons of young people love them. They are canned July 31.

Ford will soldier on.

I think this is another reason people buy large American SUVs. The good ole V-8.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Older Infiniti 4 door V8s are something I’ve seen younger people stretch into.

One big lament I hear is “Lexus cars don’t depreciate” and they don’t want a 250. Now, you can explain to them how this is a good thing, but it does mean a lot more money for them to tie up in the car.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
I'd be real worried if young people like crossovers, SUVs and pick-up trucks more than sedans, coupes and hatchbacks. IMO cars like the 86 and Miata need to stay alive as long possible and not have their price tags skyrocket through the roof. Remember the time when new M3s and Porsche Boxsters were not painfully expensive cars to normal people? I sure don't.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
It is already more than five years Infiniti is "showcasing the future direction", and I am still waiting......

I think the concept will be the new QX80. We'll know if it is redesigned/modified Y62 or if it is an all new BOF platform? Historically, the QX80 is like Landcruiser/LX at TMC, so there is a Nissan version (Armada in NA, Patrol in ROTW). So is there a Nissan badged QX80 coming too?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Infiniti's fate is inevitable considering its parent company's decline. They went from 50% of Toyota's revenue in 2013 to about a quarter today. And they have lower per-car profit than Suzuki that mostly sell economy cars in developing markets. All Japanese car makers benefited from weak JPY this year but Nissan still only had 3.6% net margins compared to 12.4% of Toyota and 7.9% of Honda.

0810-05-1-MM.jpg